Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coast Guard

Coast Guard

Just wondering if anyone out there is a member of the volunteer coast guard? Looking at joining in Tville.

Dan
    Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

Re: Coast Guard

Associate Membership cost me $40 (Rescue Club) Very much worth it. Just like RACQ on water - don't leave home without it.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

I think Dan means actually serving as a Volunteer Marine Rescue officer. A bloke I know served for a few years to gain work experience for other employment opportunities, and as far as I know he thoroughly enjoyed it and had many a good story to tell.

Ben

Oh yeah, got the wrong end again
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

However, interesting thought about the Associate Membership Nonibbles...

Ben

No Nibbles. That $40.00 does it just cover you for tows in your area or by any of the VMR's or Coast Gaurds. It was my impression that would only apply to the orginisation you took out a membership with. Eother way I would agree it is money well spent if it keeps these orginisations operating.

I almost joined the Noosa coast guard cos we camped there every year just behind their boat ramp, and would allow us to have use of that ramp. Was cheap too, just we decided to buy a house and sell the boat at the time. 8 years later I have a boat again and may be on the agenda once more
    cheers
    Les

Yeah, i think the $40 for associate is great! I'm looking at joining as a volunteer, as ben said, get good experience. As far as i know, it's only 1 day a month that you have to give up to them. The way i see it, is that if i ever needed them, i would hope that there would be some volunteers around to help! Plus, experience can't hurt!

Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

Yeah i'm looking at joining... probably the Beenleigh one though because i tend to be fishing the pin alot lately.

i am about to join raby bay work with a bloke who does weekend patrols with them recons its great pretty simple to join and then straight onto a boat...so he recons

gday guys, am a member of VMR Jacobs well, and have been for 10 years. i have learnt shit loads and enjoy myself. its a boys weekend away every time i go. Well worth joining if ur thinking about it. Havce progressed thru the ranks and am now a skipper, with a fair few coureses under my belt. it laso gives you great knowledge of the local waterways and the best fishing spots. well worth the time and effort that i have put in. Drop me a line if u require any furhter info. cheers bubba!!!

hey guys
    The Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol does an excellent job anywhere it is available. when i get older i will join them to support the community and get experience as i am only 16 got a little longer to go, probly do weekend work or something
    Cheers
    Martin

Hi folks,

my son & I have also been chatting about joining our local VMR/ Coast Guard (Raby Bay) but I believe there is a minimum age of 18 years old, mainly due to insurance issues. Is this the case? Is there any other way a 15 year old can play a role here?

Also, keen to follow up on the 'RACQ' style $40. Is this available across all VMR's?

Hi Guys,
    I have been a skipper at VMR Southport since i was 16, 10 years ago. That is the minimum age at Southport, and being at the largest squadron (Job Wise), i have learnt and experienced a lot, getting my commercial coxswains ticket also.
    One of the best things i have done in my life.
    Unfortunately!!! work has become more of a priority at this time of my life, so VMR has taken a back seat lately, but im still hanging in there.
    Southport charges $55.00 annually, and most squadrons will accept statewide membership, but a donation doesnt go astray either!
    The smaller squadrons actually get more goverment funding (generally, supply of boats ect), than the larger ones, so always remember that.
    Coast Guard used to have a juniors scenario, dont know if it stil exists.
    Regards
    Darren

Rescue club - covers only monitored area of local coast guard that you are a member of. #You get a member number that allows you to annonomously radio in your trip details - saves time at the ramp and adds security to your unattended assets. #ie: if I radio in they know the location of my car and trailer along with their rego numbers so I don't have to tell them that or my name. #Makes for added security for my car & trailer and maybe my home ('cos I wouldn't be there between the disclosed hours) if anyone else is listening along with the usual trip details. #Also if for some stupid reason I run out of fuel they can offer a tow or a top up to get back. #Best of all it helps form a database of known boaties that can be requested to assist if nearby to anyone in trouble.