Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FRESHWATER BASA

Re: FRESHWATER BASA

this stuff is sold at our local supermarket and fish shop and is absolute CRAP..... IT FROM OVER SEAS ALRIGHT,,,PROBABLY FARMED IN SEWERAGE PONDS...

Has anyone had the Butterfish experience?

Brother in law fed his family with some about 6 weeks ago
    6 out of 8 people came down with ( as an old dairy farmer like me would put it) the scours.

Look it up and while your at it look for butterfish side effects.

Rod
    My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

Good grief, I was only a boy when I started this post.

Do you know why Bassa is such a clean looking light fish? The bleach the fillets thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
    Has anyone had the Butterfish experience?

Brother in law fed his family with some about 6 weeks ago
    6 out of 8 people came down with ( as an old dairy farmer like me would put it) the scours.

Look it up and while your at it look for butterfish side effects.

Rod
    yeah, the deckie will eat anything but not the butterfish..............not now anyway

Had this bugger for brekky and it only took a couple of hours to work

Makes a change from her normal..................verbal diarrhoea

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Bassa has been sold in our supermarkets and fish retailers for some time now.

The vast majority of fishermen ( anglers ) steer clear of it as they know exactly under what conditions these ' things ' are bred and processed.

I think Steve has been to Thailand to see first hand the " cess-pitt " in which these fish are bred.

Derek, you remember the story about cooking and you add a house.... etc. well this is a prime example.

OH, and I gave away my prize from the cooking demonstration to the lady beside me who was going 'round OZ with Hubby. And that Bread was yummy,,,, Bungle something or other ???????

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Strangely enough I had a glimpse into the seafood counter at our IGA today and the only fish available was nile perch...Tasmanian salmon(which looked nice but at $33 a kg) and of course a whole tray of Basa fillets...
    As I sat up to my beautiful fat Coral Trout and salad burger tonight I just still can't believe anyone would actually eat that crap...the thought of actually putting that shit in my mouth almost makes me sick...

Scott

G'day!

Basa is also known as Pacific Dory. I believe it is/was the dory sold in Sizzlers.

Its white firm flesh would make it a great substitute for cod, reef fish, or flake in fish and chip shops.

Ray De R
    Last edited by RayDeR; 07-05-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RayDeR View Post
    G'day!

Its white firm fish would make it a great substitute for cod, reef fish, or flake in fish and chip shops.

Ray De R
    And it's eating habits would make it a great substitute for the filtering system at sewerage plants........................Oh! wait a minute! That's what those Vietnamese fish farmers are using it for anyway...............before they ship it here............multi - tasking I think they call it

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    And it's eating habits would make it a great substitute for the filtering system at sewerage plants........................Oh! wait a minute! That's what those Vietnamese fish farmers are using it for anyway...............before they ship it here............multi - tasking I think they call it

kev
    I heard the basa is a pretty popular dish in our countries prisons....they say it goes down a treat when accompanied by toilet wine.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Strangely enough I had a glimpse into the seafood counter at our IGA today and the only fish available was nile perch...Tasmanian salmon(which looked nice but at $33 a kg) and of course a whole tray of Basa fillets...

Scott
    G'day Scott!

Have you ever researched "NIle Perch" and its origins?

Ray De R

Quote Originally Posted by RayDeR View Post
    G'day Scott!

Have you ever researched "NIle Perch" and its origins?

Ray De R
    No I haven't Ray...What can you tell us about it?

Scott

The last time I ate "fish and chips" (and the first time in about ten years) was about three years ago at a fish and chip shop at the ramp near bribie. We'd just taken a boat for a test and were totally starving and thought bugger it, we'll buy something for dinner. I chose barramundi fillets (which I believe would have been Nile Perch) and thought it tasted a bit odd.
    Anyway, I ended up with food poisoning.
    BASA get fed poo (as in the human stuff) so it's little wonder it tastes the way it apparently does.
    Moral of the story only eat the fish you catch yourself... and hmmmmmmmm... weren't those snapper, mackerel and flatties from the weekend pretty tasty

It really makes you wonder why they let this garbage into the country. YUK !!!

I don't think I have knowingly eaten basa but looks now like I could have. I would have considered it for the odd Thai red or green curry but might give it a wide berth now.

Our local fish shop has a good range of 'fresh' product in the window. To their credit,t hey have the country of origin on all product. The sad fact is that I think there are inly 3 at the most with 'Product of Australia' on the price/breed tag. Even the whiting is imported....to their credit, I don't actually think they sell Basa.

Definitely stay with the fresh local fish, at least you know what you are getting...................or do you.

Muzz