Thread: Ques- Buying fresh quality bait

Ques- Buying fresh quality bait

This is a question for fisho's on the north side of Brisbane.
    I usally buy squid/cuttle fish from Morgans seafoods around $5-$9 a kilo. Gar fish about $5 a kilo. iqf Phillies $70 dollars a box of 15 kilo. And mullet fillets $2-$6 a kilo.
    Dose anybody out there get better prices or buys bulk of these. I would also like to buy tuna or banito fish or fillets.
    Maybe a group of us could by big bulk amounts and split it up??? DOSE ANYBODY OWN A TRALLER??? [smiley=helpa.gif] [smiley=helpa.gif] [smiley=helpa.gif] [smiley=helpa.gif]
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Ques- Buying fresh quality bait

Spiro,

I have been using fresh squid from Morgans as well. I would be keen to here if anyone knows where to get it any cheaper. I might be able to help on the pillies. My deckie got a 15kg box of pillies which has almost run out now. These were supposed to be eating quality pillies for export ??? Who would eat pillies Anyway they are the firmest pillies I have ever used and I am sure he paid less than $70. I will see if he can get some more and let you know.

Mark

"Who would eat pillies"

Ok ... fillet and wipe off guts. sprinkle with salt and grill. squeese of lemon and they are yummy.

Um ... just a tip though ... don't use the one's that have been sitting in the bottom of your bait bucket all night.

DB

Quote Originally Posted by Drop_Bear
    "Who would eat pillies"

Ok ... fillet and wipe off guts. sprinkle with salt and grill. squeese of lemon and they are yummy.

Um ... just a tip though ... don't use the one's that have been sitting in the bottom of your bait bucket all night.

DB
    DB is on the money. If you eat sardines you eat pillies. Well, close rellies.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Spiro, I am on the north side and recently started buying my bait from the seafood shop at Brookside shopping centre. Previously I just got my fresh bait from baitshops so not sure how cheap it can really get. Brookside has squid at $9.99 per kg and Mullet strips $5.99 per kg.

As I only ever what a kilo at a time it seems to be a reasonable price and appears to be pretty fresh. Apart from pillies, I probably would not get much in bulk as they are the only thing I freeze.

Where is Morgans? Is that the big place near Colmslie?

Cheech

Morgans is at Scarborough.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Cheech,

The big place near Colmslie will be either "The Fish FACTORY" or down on the river in the same area is "Raptis".

I get my fresh squid from the sandgate fishermans co-op, but you will need to buy in bulk (10 kg's or more) to get the special rate of around $5 a kilo. You will also need to ring the day before to book it.

So who wants to go halves with me in the next lot of 10 kg's ? Just remember it's only small to medium in size, with a max tube length of 10 cm.

Cheers
    Craig.

Craigie, Sounds good. Last week would have been perfect as I used the best part of 4 kg on my week off work. But I would only use about a kilo per week normally. I'm not quite as addicted to getting Mr Snapper as someone I know of [smiley=wut.gif]

May suit Spiro though.

I have seen a few suggestions on preparing and keeping squid frozen but not really convinced that it is worth trying to keep it.

But will definately keep it in the back of mind for future bigger sessions.

Cheech

If you want fresh squid strait off the trawler let me no, can usually get 40-50kg at a time at around 5 bucks a kilo.
    Thinks some of you who have replied here have seen it and used it, comes in all sizes. and all mixed together.
    Or i cnan get cartons of slimies but your looking at 100 bucks for 20kg, and done in individual packs.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by Drop_Bear
    "Who would eat pillies"

Has anyone seen the bait

no - what bait

the bait, bait

No I havn't seen the bait

The bait .... the box of pillies ..... it was in the eskie

Oh That ....... I got hungry LOL

Im heading down to morgans seafoods tomorro to see what there offering in relation to what prices are posted. I wouldn't mind10-20kg fresh or fresh frozen, not imported crap! If you have used it before you will know what im talking about. It would be good to get squid at about 10-20cm
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]