Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: PIC...OF YOUR BIGGEST FISH

Re: PIC...OF YOUR BIGGEST FISH

My best was this 50lb barra caught in 1979 on a vibrotail soft plastic (just to show they ain't as new a thing as some mag writers would have you believe) - it hit about 2 m off the tip off the rod when I was standing ankle deep in a gulf river at dusk - can imagine the experience was a bit religious!!
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

I bet that strike got your heart going! A fifty pound fish exploding that close to you! That's a great fish.

Are the barramundis the "kings" of fresh water fishing in Australia? I mean, are they the best fighting, biggest, and most sought after fish or are other species more popular. I was curious because every time I do a search for fresh water fishing in Australia, they get mentioned. I can see why!

Here in the Midwest of the US, it's probably the musky (muskellunge) that reign as king of fresh water. They are big, toothy, long bodied fish that closely resemble pike. Out west, fishermen chase after those big salmon and trout. The biggest fresh water species we have are the alligator gars in the Mississippi River. One was recently taken with a bow and arrow that measured eight feet! I can't say that I would have done that to such a great animal (they're pretty rare), but that must have been an amazing thing to see.

Anyway, thanks for showing the picture Jim. Very neat to see!
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

my is a freshwater fish "BigHead carp" caught on a yozuri cyrstal minnow lure "foul hook"

El'carpo,
    the barra are a spectacular fish and so much loved cause they cover so many bases - they look great - silver to bronze with pink eyes that glow like embers (they're in the same family as snook in the US), they live in both fresh and salt, they hit with bucket mouth implosions or drenching surface chops, they jump and tail walk, they run pretty hard but also fight reasonably clean depending on how many snags are in the water - and they taste generally great if they come out of clean water and you want a couple of fillets.

That all being said and done there are a host of other freshwater and estuarine species that pull harder (mangrove jack), jump higher (tarpon, queenfish), taste better (mangrove jack) or live in more spectacuar habitat (jungle perch, sooties) -so it all boils down to preferences but few would knock back the opportunity of a hot barra bite!!

Regards Jim
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Thanks Jim, for the info. on the barra. If I ever make it to Australia, I'll definately try to catch one! They seem to be really good!

Catalyst,

Those big head carp are currently public enemy number one in my area. They are an invasive species here in Chicago (US) and are rapidly expanding their territory through rivers and streams. Can you tell me something about them? Can they be eaten? What do they eat? Are they good to fish for? The government is spending millions of dollars trying to keep them from entering the great lakes. I'm wondering if it is possible. We may have to be accepting their presence soon and I would like to know, from a person who is familiar with them, something about them. They sure are big. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Hi all,

I am new to this terrific site and thought i might kick it of with my best flatty to date. Caught during this years 'King of the Pin' comp, the big girl went 89cm, caught on a whole pilly. After a quick photo she was released to fight another day and pump out more baby flatty's