Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll Results. A prediction

Poll Results. A prediction

Now that voting is underway I though I might share our experiences over the last 2 weeks and tell members and interested onlookers where we are headed.

The Fishing Party, despite the hard work of a few and the membership of many did not get fishos interested enough to man polling booths and this will be our shortcoming.

Very much on the upside however will be the numbers posted from the booths we have been able to man and these will be numbers which will send a very clear message to the Government that they have badly overstepped the mark and they will need to rethink using rec fishers as a convenient scapegoat as they pander to the greens.

Booths which are manned, will, I think, post numbers as high as 10 & 12% in some areas....more than enough to have won a seante seat if we had manned enough booths.

At the end of the day we will consider 30,000 votes a major achievement for a fledgling party only 6 months old...anything over that would be stunning and much less, personally dissapointing, particularly for those who actually put in the hard yards and manned booths on polling day.

I believe, come counting time tonight, The Fishing Party (Qld) will suddenly have the ear of Government and when the facts are presented about the percentage returns from manned booths Recreational Fishers across the state will be able to sleep a bit easier knowing we now have some real clout and that I Fish & I Vote is more than just a bumper sticker.

We have been so busy and running this on a shoestring compared to the vote I think we are going to get. It has been the tackle trade, the boating industry and the supportive fishing press helping drive this as well as supportive chat pages like this one, that has really been our only method of getting the message out and I really need to thank NQ Fish & Boat, QFM and Modern Fishing as well as Nugget and Arthur and his crew on the 4KG1 fishing show for their help.

We have had a big go but been let down a bit by backslappers who would not help and genuine people who could not help, on polling day.....but we had a decent go anyway.

I my guess is wrong and we crash and burn at the ballot box then the clear mesage is that rec fishers are satisfied with the current management regimes and lobby group situation (Sunfish)........and TFPQ should just pull its head in and bugger off..me included (maybe has a silver lining because I can actually find time to go fishing again).

Anyhow guys, a wild ride which is only a few hours away from coming to an end....or maybe just the beginning of a new era in rec fishing recognition.

Cheers all and thats for the ride!!

KC

Gorilla_in_Manila

Re: Poll Results. A prediction

KC,
    Been wondering something thoughout all this, did you secure support from Recfish, Sunfish, ANSA, Sportfish etc etc or do they have their own agenda?
    You certainly will be pushing shit up hill with a sharp stick if a large percentage of the established and funded fishing voter base has been intructed to do otherwise than support TFPQ.
    Cheers
    Jeff

Well Kev, it was a nice day to be out and about with the ' voters'.

Manning the booths was not such a bad experience, and in fact, quite enjoyed the day. Bantered with the other Party hopefuls, Voters and onlookers.

It was something that I never expected, when, handing out the ' how to vote cards', people would lokk at me and say " really, a fishing party". And the grin on their face said it all, but, with a serious look, and a polite comeback, I made a point and confirmed that we are serious and The Fishing Party IS a politicial party.

I did have numerous enquiries as to what we are about, and in fact had several people asking for the cards, so they have heard of us prior to election day. Even had the experience of voters returning from the Booths, and saying that' yes I voted for you ".

AND THAT, was a great feeling, knowing that I may have influenced, or the Card may have influenced a' swinging' voter, to try someone different, or just plain offer support.

Certainly was an eye-opener, to see the budget of the major parties. By me reckoning, the Libs and Labs spent upwards of $500 each at the booths in my area. Also that Family First party had a strong showing , with 4 ( what do you call the folk that hand out the cards ? ) ' touters', and they were working in shifts.

Anyway, the whole experince was good for me, thanks for the opportunity. And thanks to Rob for spending some time with me and then taking over from me in the afternoon.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I think you are going to be surprised at the numbers. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I heard people talking on the way into vote about the fishing party & on the way out passed some more people on their way in, about the fishing party.

People read fishing magazines & with some advertisment in the magazines people take heed.

Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

got my vote and a few others

Agree. I think you'll be surprised with the numbers. I overheard quite a few people talking about the fishing party at my electorate.

Ben

Thanks guys and who knows...Phil, we have not met but ,,thanks mate! I have never handed out HTV cards in my life and I enjoyed the experience too...ask the question of any voter...Are you a fisherman/fishing family and straight away they got interested.

Feedback out of Cairns is mindblowing!!

We are going to surprise a lot of people and it has all been done on a wing and a prayer...no big budgets, just committed fishos.

If the feedback out of Cairns is any indication....we are in for an interesting night.

& Gorilla I have to say I am pretty dissapointed at the Sunfish/Recfish reaction to us. Give me a call some time and I'll tell you all about it. 0414 785 462 I don't really want to use this forum as a soapbox for in house issues (just to kick the government/greens & democrats...oh yeh...left out Labor as well!

Regards

KC

I think phil nailed it when he said people were surprised to here there "was" a fishing party, id like to have seen more public awareness earlier then what transpired this election, no mater the out come i believe next election may be the real opertunity lets see the pros and rec organizations combine into a force!...foxy

talked to a guy at the polling booth, never heard of the fishing party, so with a few words of wisdom, swayed him for a vote. funny thing he fishes the the passage regularly. i hope it,s not too late to soon. all the best kevy.

Kevin hope your about later tonight for a late post it will be good for a chat and your thoughts as the count progress.

I would have thought somewhere around the 1.5% of the primary vote would probably be on the money and possibly the best result that could be attained.

If you get more than that then certainly there will be people taking some notice.

Good Luck 30 mins to counting.

Bugman

First time i've ever handed out HTV cards as well and i must say it was quite fun to get out there and just meet people and introduce them to the fact that YES there is a fishing party and we're not one of these comical parties that have a go for a laugh.

I helped Phil out for a few hours then took the reigns later in the arvo.

I had several people say to me "shit a fishing party.. you'll get my vote". That was a great feeling... and of course there is the other side of the coin where people were happy to laugh and give you a bit of a dig but all you can do is smile and wish them a happy day.

All in all i had a great day and i think you might be suprised by the numbers.

Tas results show bad signs for Labor in the Lower House. Too early for Senate.

Bugman

It's all over in the Lower House at about 7:15pm. Howard Govt returned with bigger majority.

Qld senate not looking too good for FiShing Party.

Brett

Have you got inside information Brett?