Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 74 Floods Water levels

74 Floods Water levels

Guys,

I'm looking at buying a house and wanting to know if it got flooded in 1974.... Does anyone have any links to sites that have plans showing what areas were affected?

Just wanna know if I need to put a pontoon off the deck...

Thanks in advance ...

Adam

Re: 74 Floods Water levels

GO down the local pub and speak to the resident old folks! Would probably be more than happy to talk about "them floods of '74"
    Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

Us old timers can remember the flood quite well...I doubt there will be a repeat of that again Adam..there was no Wivenhoe damming the Brisbane River then and that was the cause of a lot of the flooding combined with king tides and that bloody cyclone parked just off the coast.

Which suburb mate ??

ken4159

where are you looking at buying Adam

Ken

You can get that info from the Brisbane City Council. Not sure about over the phone, but definitely from their office.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Thorneside .... is the suburb I have been looking at , at present... and the houses are fairly low on the tingalpa ck side ......
    Thought they may have gone under there?????

Will check with redland shire council today ....My guess is that they will want to charge me for that kinda info...

Nothings free!!

I don't know about down there, but a whole bunch of new houses have been built in areas that were 3 or 4 metres under water in January 74.
    They say it cannot happen again because they built Wivenhoe Dam, but what if it rains really heavy for a week or so and the dam is full , and then it rains for another week or so? They will have to let it overflow or let it out, the water has to go somewhere. It will happen again , might take another 50 years but it will happen.
    In the 74 flood the water was up to the level of the Indooroopilly bridge about 1 metre under the Centenary Highway bridge and up into the second story of the Regatta hotel.
    On the outside wall of the Regatta hotel there are marks indicating exactly where the water level reached in the various floods. I think the one in 1906 (not sure exactly) was about 2 metres higher than the 74 one, and noone knows what happened before us whities got here. #

Hooker1

Adam,

I used to live in Murray st Birkdale. Just around from Thornside (still in Waterloo bay). The water came 3/4 the way up this street to about number 13 (according to the neighbours that were there at the time). Thornside has Tingalpa creek which is dammed for the Redlands water supply. The storm surge may be a problem in some areas of Thornside if a high tide, flood waters and strong winds combine?

Adam,

My old office here at the ABC would have had me sitting in chest deep water during the 74 flood. It's permantly marked on the wall and survives every paint. I'm ok now because I'm on the second floor.

We got a search through Brissy council done for our house at Fairfield. We seem a long way away from the river but the line was 20 cm's into our front yard - hard to beleive and worth while checking out.

Brett

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Quote Originally Posted by bugman

My old office here at the ABC would have had me sitting in chest deep water during the 74 flood. ... I'm ok now because I'm on the second floor.
    so its true Brett that the scum rises to the surface # jokes just jokes ...

I was a 7 yr old pup when that '74 storm started pouring on brisbane & surrounds. I was "helping" my old man do work around my Nanna's place in a little logging town called Cooran south of Gympie.

I just remenbering him hearing that the creeks were rising grabbing me & getting me in the car & taking off to get home - my job, I was told, was to stay awake & keep talkng (i don't know if the talking was to keep Dad awake or just to take my mind off the storm but took us almost 6hrs to get home (normally a 2 hr trip). I faded coming up Beatty Rd, I learned later, within sight of finishing my job.

After the flood there were bargains everywhere - my old man bought two new water effected industrial drills for a few #of bucks - he broke them down & cleaned them up - the one he kept I own today - still going strong.

It was one of those events of such excitement as a kid that its burned in my memory forever - that & the kinship with my Dad as we battled the 50 year storm #.

I have heard it signifigantly altered Jumpinpins setup as well to put a fishing twist on the thread.

Oh yeah - the dotted line exists on most developmental survey maps outlining the level. Not to be relied on though as the nature of the runoff aspect around Brisbane has changed markedly.

chris

My mate had a house about 50 yards from the boat ramp at the mouth of Tingalpa at Thorneside. It stayed dry.

Just make sure you have good flood insurance!! I was boating round Brisbane streets in '74 and Margo's roof was just above the water & '74 was just a baby flood by geological records and with global warming and the rise in sea levels there will be worse.

Rent "the day after tomorrow" #Not exactly accurate but things could get much worse. #We now live in a low canal area on reclaimed swamp we have a boat and a "bug out" plan. #If the worst does happen then at least we know where to start where to go and what to take.

Have a talk to your local SES about their plans too, they should have some idea. The City Council will just give you the good news and what you need to know the worst possible scenario.

Anywhere you live has risks you just need to be aware of them and factor them into your planning as much as possible.

PS Rockhampton '91 ten days taking stuff in boats in and out of the city because it was totally cut off by floodwater.

Big_Kev

I can remember floating around the back yard on the surf board.
    It was good to get out from the house, after being cooped up for weeks.
    If you go for a run up to Wivenhoe at the minute you will see the spillway being modified for the one in a hundred year flood.
    Which I would interpret we are overdue for a big one.
    There will be some unhappy campers around if we did get another flood the magnitude or greater of the 74 flood.
    My approach Adds is to always buy houses up on the top of the hill. It has worked for me sp far, but then we have'nt had a flodd since I have owned a house. Oh shit now my roof will blow off for sure. (jinxed myself LOL)
    Cheers Kev. 8)