Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Touch your toes - here it comes!

Gorilla_in_Manila

Touch your toes - here it comes!

Maybe a bit more information is necessary, but my guess is; get ready for more shafting Qld fisho's!
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...0/s1223805.htm
    Cheers
    Jeff
    PS funny how it was announced JUST AFTER the election.

============================================
    Last Update: Wednesday, October 20, 2004. 10:46am (AEST)
    Govt unveils reef marine park plans
    The Queensland Government will create the longest marine park in Australia to protect the Great Barrier Reef.

It will stretch along more than 3,600 kilometres of coastline from Bundaberg in the state's south-east to the tip of Cape York in the far north, and will take effect from November 5.

Environment Minister Desley Boyle has told State Parliament the changes complement the Federal Government's new reef zoning plan.

People who fish in rivers, creeks and mangroves will not be affected by the fishing restrictions.

Re: Touch your toes - here it comes!

This is bull#### > this another kick in the guts to all qld rec fishers from the master off anallingus Mizz desley I hate my name boyle what next make owning a boat ellegal . > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Hey, people, the solution is to lobby the George St gits out of their wits to undo this crap. The best best way to lobby them is warn them of the massive voting block against them if they proceed... >

[quote author=Gorilla
    People who fish in rivers, creeks and mangroves will not be affected by the fishing restrictions.

[/quote]

Until all those that used to fish the reefs but now can't start fishing the rivers and creeks coz there's nowhere else to go then the rivers and creeks will be closed after some spurious study declares the rivers and creeks are being overfished.

Well no need for me to go out shopping for that big boat that was gonna cost a fortune to get out to the reef, no need to inject money into the system by upgrading my rods and reels to handle the reef fishing - and numerous other associated gear I need.

Are they really gonna be able to compensate for that kind of lost revenue?

I hear ya dave

Surely it wouldn't be total ban on rec fishing ??? Looks like the trip to Swains booked for mid next year might be a fizzer [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=veryangry.gif]

I cant see this as anything but good.

I say protect the whole ocean, and while they're at it the rivers, lakes, dams, backyard pools. Then all native and old growth forests, deserts, and all creatures great and small. I'm by no means a "Greenie", but I am concerned about conservation.

I would also like to see catch limits restricted furthur for everyone (rec and pro). Especially the pros, they need to be accountable for everything they affect, be it, the actual catch, undersize catch, bycatch, even seagrass.

Am I in a minority on this site?? I get the feeling a few of you don't like any restriction on anything to do with fishing, (except for maybe catch size and quantity limits). But you don't seem to like having fishing areas restricted, even if you can fish, but can't take from a certain area.

I'm not trying to be difficult here either. Just concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by mini696
    But you don't seem to like having fishing areas restricted, even if you can fish, but can't take from a certain area.
    I think the issue is that you won't be able to fish there at all, more than catch and release only. From what I've seen on this site, most people are very PRO catch n release.... People stopping them having places to fish at all, well that's a different story altogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_Dan
    People stopping them having places to fish at all, well that's a different story altogether!
    Never a truer word spoken.

I can understand having restrictions in spawning areas, but thats the only place.

I doubt the new zoning will mean a ban to all fishing, just restrict the style of fishing done there. It will also restrict the type of vessel allowed within certain distances. I HOPE!!

Hey Mini
    Obivously you dont have kids, or if you do they must love being infront of the TV playing stupid video games. I grew up in a coastal area and spent most of my spare time fishing of the beach or rocky headlands. This kept me active and out of trouble. But it appears we don't have enough young people wandering the street and being a real pain in the arse, so the government in all their wisdom closers down fishing along a huge part of the coastline to stop young and old from enjoying landbased fishing. Dead set mate if you endorse this kind of thing happening, with no scientific proof that this will benifit the well being of enviroment, then your a dead set goose. All this is is another grab for the green vote of this state. Cant you see that, or are you blind as well as stupid. I also like how this has no impact on the south east corner of Queensland again. If they introduced this into SE corner they might upset too many people and cost themselves thier jobs. All I can say is typical, what next a ban on breathing to stop the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. I suggest that the politicians try this one first and their green supporters next.

Ron
    Make something Idiot proof and they make better Idiots

Barrymundi

Correct me if I have read this wrong. All that has happened is the State Waters are now part of the GBRMPA area for waters north of Bundy,

What restriction are there ? Where is the closing of 3600km of beach. Help me please, I am a bit slow

I must be a bit slow too... [smiley=book2.gif]I had a look at the maps for Gladstone area.

I have a vested interest in the Capricornia region, so just because I'm on the Sunshine Coast doesn't mean I'm speaking unaffected by these changes.

I couldn't find anything which would stop me and every person I know who fishes that area from doing exactly what they do now. Perhaps some of the professionals, but very slightly.

AL- everything starts "slow".I agree with megafish, its always a greeny grab, they got 30% now they "slowly" restrict more and more.My personal apinion is they got the best 30% how much no fish zones do they need! Surely thats enough, now the green movement should switch there attention to water quality and leave us alone...foxy

Correct me if I am wrong.You say 3600 km of coastline from Bundy to the tip of Cape york.In my calculations from Bundy to Cape York is only approx 2200 km , so we have already got back 1400km's.I am led to belive it is approx 600k's and 350 of this is north of cooktown, so that leaves 250 k's between cooktown and bundy
    regards Gary

They didn't make the outlandish statements buddy, the ABC published them on their website. # One would think the ABC would be correct. I'm sure the ABC checked their facts. #

Rec fisho's haven't got anything back, it was all ours to start with wasn't it! ???