Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The best eating fish in the sea.

Re: The best eating fish in the sea.

There seems to be some sort of consensus here on the appeal of Barramundi; or the lack thereof. I, too, think they are horribly overrated. Some of the blokes caught quite a few when we were working in the Kimberly. They would bring them back and do up a huge feast. I would always finish up throwing a steak on the BBQ for myself as I think Barra is best thrown to the cats. My mother told me she had a lovely feed of Barra at the RSL and, when she told me she paid $8-50 for it, I had to break the news to her that it wasn't Barra; not at that price, anyway. By the way, Hussar is not bad eating and it is a great bait for big Red Emperor. In seafood shops, Hussar is marketed as Sea Perch.

Cheers,
    BIGNICK.

I think you are right Bignick. Was just looking at Kingtins pic of the big shovelly. I met a bloke once who could turn a 6 foot shovelly into the best barra fillets you ever seen.

Derek

I believe parrot have the best texture of all the reefies.

Give me a prawn or muddie any day over fish tho.

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bullock
    I think you are right Bignick. #Was just looking at Kingtins pic of the big shovelly. #I met a bloke once who could turn a 6 foot shovelly into the best barra fillets you ever seen.

Derek
    He must've ruined it then Derek :-) I've tried Barra from 4 differrent chippies and I'd sooner have shovelly any day. If it's soaked in milk for a few hours, then it's as good as anything I've tasted....although different. Catty has a nice firm texture somewhat like flake and despite all the good natured piss-taking here, I defy anyone to give it a try and then say that it'
    s not acceptable as a table fish. We all have differing taste buds I suppose, but I'm quite fussy what I eat and I even like stingies, if they're cooked right........it's the skinning and mess that pees me off. The deckie even eats the "bones"! She's got a Grad Dip in Health Promotion and a good right hook, so who am I to argue? ;-)

cheers

The Verminator

I've found the smaller barra taste better. And the ones from salt water are better again. They definately aren't my favourite, but they hold their own. Most of my fish get cooked whole on the BBQ. The larger fish dont come off quite as well as the smaller ones.

Maybe I should try some catties, and rays, so I can comment on them. Nah... leave that to The Verminator.

Cheers
    Mickk

Nice fresh mackeral, cooked on the boat an 1hr or 2 after caught.
    [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif]
    Yum..Yum...

Not a big fan of any of the Mackerels or Tunas. I do, however, like a feed of Wahoo. Best when bled immediately upon capture and put straight on ice. They will pull a Mackerel around backwards. They give up a huge meaty fillet that can be done any way you like really. We got a recipe from a Chinese lady when we were on Christmas Island and cooked a big hunk of Wahoo fillet in the oven in a roasting tray smothered in a peanut and chille sauce. It had some kick allright, but was easily washed down with a few Coronas.

Cheers,
    BIGNICK.

reds & coral trout eazy to catch and eat .... but i did have a feed of smoked red rock cod (poor mans lobster) once that could eazily change many a mind, it was delishious

Stone fish topped with blue ringed octopus and washed down with sea snake juice. mmmmmmmmmmmmm, beautiful!
    (In the off chance someone thinks I am serious and trys to consume the above, my solicitor has advised me to say I am joking)

Tsk tsk!! everyone slaging off at our poor old barra. Get a nice clean pre wet season salty and it is a knockout...freshwater is very ordinary. Even better when they are feeding on prawns rather than mullet.

Fingermark
    Coral Trout (brain spiked and bled)
    Reddies/Jacks (dead heat)
    Fresh Longtail tuna...seared on a BBQ
    Big yellowfin whiting from the surf
    Pearl perch
    Threadfin Salmon (pain in the bum to fillet)
    Spanish then..maybe even barra

KC

Nothing like a good feed of garfish.
    David

Flathead is number one in our house. May not be as good as most reef fish, but try telling that to my family. How would it go?? No, no, no, you really are not enjoying that more than that lovely reef fish we had last week. Never win that argument.

So Flatties is our vote.

Flathead - lemon grass and a dash of sweet chilly
    Coral trout