Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The best eating fish in the sea.

Re: The best eating fish in the sea.

atlantic salmon smoked is the most universally popular fish in the world, rainbow trout eat great. john dory are down south the most loved.
    most qld reefies(exclude blackall!) are great to eat and its more about freshness. i wouldn't turn my nose up to any lujenide except chinaman fish or red bass. also it depends on cooking method- battered footballer fillet is tops,curried yellafin is terrific, panfried trag fillets(trimmed of blood line) is superb, steamed whole snapper in ginger soy and shallots is wonderfull or poached parrot with a lemon sage hollendaise sauce is kinda nice too, bbq jewie cullets hmmmmmmm.
    how do you make a call on what is "better" when you got so many of the best there waiting to jump on your line, i think the mixed bag is best if you really like to eat fish and if you don't eat them yourself let them go. variety is where its at and have them on tap is the only way to fly.
    all of the groupers are albatrosses of the water.
    damo'

Damon i think youd be surprised at how many bass and chinamen were on the menu at fish and chip shops as sea pearch, good chance most of us have eaten it ,LOL.

Steak Chicken Pork Lamb

Dam you fish eaters!

lol dug it must be hard to love fishin so much yet dont get to injoy the taste without puttting your life on the line

What, no hussar anywhere!!! This is not right !!

Whiting straight from the suds, and hussar. A man cann't ask for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_N

OK thats the last time I cook pearlies for you if they don't even #make your top 5!
    I was wondering whether you would comment on that. I left it out because it is hard to judge on a single fish , especially when it was baked with heaps of herbs etc. Awesome fish, but I need more experience with it before casting judgement.

foxy, i wouldn't eat a whiting from platapus bay. a yank scientist did test on fishes in hervey bay and the ciggyterror was in shocking high levels around wathumba creek- even in the whiting and bream. have you ever eatten a boiled in salt water footballer cod? hmmm beautiful. somebody gave a spanyid from the bay to some backpackers at urangan they all were sick from it, haha, my tip is stick to the smaller fish around hervey bay or you could wreck fish as a food source for yourself. a over 5 kilo trout is a worry in my thoughts. so i understand what you mean ciggyterror has no species preference even thought - bass, chinamen and spanish have a bad reputation for it.
    damon

MMMMMMMM. Can't beat the old Grinners or stonefish. MMMMMMMMMM.

redspeckle

Well for me its the Whiting & Snapper but i can wait try the other fish species but i got to catch them first like Mackerel, Dolphin Fish, Mulloway,Cobia, Wahoo, Red Emperor, Mangrove Jack, Nannygai, and hope get them on dinner plate soon.
    i have tried Cod, Parrot Kingfish, Coral Trout Tailor, which are nice to eat but still cannot go past those's little white o's and the smoke Snapper

hmmm interesting tough decision though

i would probably say that parrot fish and pigfish are at the top of my list for taste and texture. both of them have snow white coloured flesh and very juicy. however to be a bit different everynow and again i love a small fillet of bluefin tuna dipped in egg then crumbed and lightly cooked. absolutely mouth watering. it is a different taste and a very nice taste.

but there are so many great fish to choose from it. i will eat almost anyfish thats edible. not including grinners

cheers phil
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Sportfish_5

Any fish taste good when they have just cost me $100 + for the day

trout3030

Red emporer, footballers (if you can get em over 38cm), blue/brown moari cod, coral trout and barramundi cod (if you were allowed to eat them still) and not necessarilly in that order

Any of the Dory fish
    John, Mirror, Silver. Like butter melting in your mouth

Bream and bakebeans.

mmmmmm gets the mouth watering

Hi just got back from the islands off Borroloola at 7.30pm, FISHING was good. Had a hell of a job trying to get a bait past the Tricky Snapper, they were all over the place. We did catch two Coral Trout, one on fresh jigged squid, one on a silver spinner, the fist Coral Trout on board was bled, filleted and chucked straight into the fry pan with some butter, salt & pepper and washed down with a cold XXXX. So Coral Trout get my vote. 8)