Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News Release - Heavy fine for husband and wife

News Release - Heavy fine for husband and wife

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/news/NewsReleases/16624.html

The information contained in this document is distributed by the Queensland Government for information purposes only. All reasonable steps have been made to ensure the information is accurate at the time of publication. For more information visit the DPI&F Fishweb site at http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

Re: News Release - Heavy fine for husband and wife

9 December 2004

Heavy fisheries fines for husband and wife
    A husband and wife have been fined more than $10,000 in the Caboolture Magistrates Court for a range of mud crab offences.

Tony Le and Chung Thi Hua of Deception Bay pleaded guilty in writing and were each fined $5000 plus $64.30 court costs for being in possession of 10 female mud crabs, two undersized mud crabs and four crabs more than the take and possession limit.

The Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F) said the heavy fines sent a strong message about breaking fishing regulations.

DPI&F field officer Alistair Spicer said rules were in place to protect and conserve mud crab stocks and to ensure the sustainability of these valuable fisheries resources.

“Female mud crabs are totally protected and it is also an offence to be in possession of female mud crab claws,” he said.

“This is an important win in the fight against fisheries crimes and shows how seriously the courts consider these offences.”

Mr Spicer encouraged people to become familiar with fisheries regulations to avoid heavy penalties this summer.

The minimum size limit for mud crabs is 15cm and the take and possession limit is 10.

For more information about fisheries rules and regulations, contact the DPI&F Call Centre of 13 25 23 or visit the DPI&F Fishweb site at www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb.

Good job not to be racist but alot (not all) of those boat peaple take anything that moves in the water and if it doesnt they ply it of with a knife im glad they got caught and im glad they got a very hefty fine .
    Any person white black or blue should get great fines for taking jennies of any size
    ....notts so

"Good job not to be racist but alot (not all) of those boat peaple"

That would have to be one of the most racist sentences I have seen for a long time.

You have made assumptions based on their names and labelled them..that is racist. For all anyone knows they could have been born here and be as Aussie as me or you (if you are one)

Race has nothing to do with the offence...it is an offence and they were rightly punished by the courts.

Harsh but fair pinhead

Im with notts so

Mad_Barry

The trouble is, the rare time a decent conviction go's through the system (like this one), news of it gets buried in the botttom of page 26 in the local paper.

DPI should have it printed out and plastered at every boat ramp and fishing spot in the land #

isaac

Still reckon the fines are tame, they should double or triple them at least. >

deb

Agree with dicko , should be on front page or at least the fishing info spots on the tele

With the size of the fine, it would appear that this is NOT their first offence

I wonder if they own a restaurant?

Time to sell the rust bucket boat and resort to using AA batteries for sinkers - won't have much money lying around for much else now. Pity the fine wasn't something more to the tune of 5 or 6 times that amount. Good nevertheless.

People who commit these crimes often plead innocent (because they didnt know the law) and think they will get off.
    The fact is they ALL know the law.
    One person gets a $5000 fine and that is meant to be an example to anyone else who thinks they can break the law. Instead these ignorant fools just get smarter. They just keep doing it over and over again in an act of denyal. I have seen it way too many times myself where they boat in front of you catches 10 - 20 undersized bream or whiting and never get thrown back. You all know what I mean. You yell out to them "hey mate, legal size of whiting is 23cm", and they reply with no english or just move away.
    This needs to be made an issue on TV and the likes all summer. Like one of those awareness campaigns the road saftey and police have about drink driving.
    Something has to be done.
    cheers
    Les

The trouble is, the rare time a decent conviction go's through the system (like this one), news of it gets buried in the botttom of page 26 in the local paper.
    I believe it made page 3 or 5 of todays Courier Mail which is a good thing #

Hmmmmmmmm.

I would have thought that a $10,064.30 fine was a reasonable fine under the circumstances.

Derek