Thread: ANOTHER freezing mud crab question

ANOTHER freezing mud crab question

Does the texture and flavour stay the same after freezing mud crab as it was before freezing? ??? ???
    We have found with sandcrabs- after trying every possible way of freezing them, that after frezing they are only good for cooking with (my famous "sand crab lasagne").
    The texture is just not the same- it is floury and mushy- not nicely segmented like a fresh one. Therefore, I havent been game to freeze a muddie cos I dont want to waste it on lasagne!!
    PLEASE HELP [smiley=book2.gif] [smiley=gossip.gif]

Re: ANOTHER freezing mud crab question

freezing any seafood in your common freezer is not going to be like fresh when defrosted, eat em fresh and give away the extras to ya mates to be enjoyed fresh thats the way to go.

But I want to keep some for Santa.............

Never ever frozen a crab of any type. Got the cholesterol report to prove it.

Cheers, Clutter

Amen Robbo....if you can't eat it within a few days, throw it back or give it to your mates. Sorting your mates out with some quality fish is the way.

Ben

slurp

Jugs-a mate of mine catchs them and freezes them straight away. He said that they taste the same as freshly cooked ones. I will try this next week.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yo jugs, we useto freeze lobsters green down south & cook after thawed out, mainly because the amount we caught. they come out okay. i think the best way is to cook straight after caught & feast out & give the rest away while fresh. not quite the same taste after freezing. all the best, kevy.

I never freeze anything I catch,fresh is the only way to go.I only keep enought for a family meal,its a great excuse to head out to catch some more when required....Smithy...

Good logic!

Jugs did you end up gettin your deckies for the girls day out

Juga are you at y -notts place or is y- nott at yours.. 8) ??? ???

Jugs, try this

Freeze them green, wrapped in a couple of layers of newspaper, and put them in the freezer on their back. My brother has been doing this for years, and while it's not as good as fresh, it's not too bad.

Bill