Thread: Govt won't back down on reef protection

Ausfish Addict

Govt won't back down on reef protection

Federal Treasurer Peter Costello says the Government will not go back on its commitment to protect the Great Barrier Reef.

The National party says the Federal Government won control in the Senate partly because of the 28,000 people who voted for the Fishing Party in Queensland, which campaigned against fishing exemptions to one third of the reef.

But Mr Costello has all but ruled out changing fishing bans on the reef.

"As part of that there are areas where fishing is not allowed and other areas where licences have been bought back and we are paying compensation to those fishermen," he said.

"Now, you can always argue at the margins as to where the zone should be, but the deal is a deal we entered into to protect that wonderful asset and we won't be reopening that deal as a whole."

Meanwhile, multiple license holders will be able to sell off some licences and apply for business restructuring for their remaining entitlements under the latest change to the federal reef closure compensation package.

Environment Minister Ian Campbell says the amendment will increase the options for operators holding multiple licences with different business partners.

Senator Campbell says the deadline for adjustment package applications has been extended after the changes.

The deadline for restructuring assistance will now be November 15.

Last Update: Monday, November 1, 2004. 10:01am (AEDT)

Re: Govt won't back down on reef protection

Did we ever exspect them to

Protecting the Reef from what??

Costello is the Treasurer , what's it to do with him.?
    If I was the minister for the environment or whatever its called , I would be saying "hey Pete, go play with the money mate, I will worry about the reef".

Governments get changed. So can laws..

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHunt
    Protecting the Reef from what??

Costello is the Treasurer , what's it to do with him.?
    If I was the minister for the environment or whatever its called , I would be saying "hey Pete, go play with the money mate, I will worry about the reef".

Governments get changed. So can laws..

Reef = Tourist = Dollars = Tax paid. This Is what is has to do with old Pete Costcutter
    Make something Idiot proof and they make better Idiots

This is an old press release and has already been debated. If you look at some of the posts from KC you will see that there has been further advances since then.

Cheers

Derek