Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Impressed

Not Impressed

Dont know if it is a grey nurse.. i cant tell by the way the shark is laying.. but for a severely protected shark, i sure as hell wouldnt be sprouting off about catching one! even if its in Maroochy River.. if you cant read the fine print, its a 14yr old kid who claims to have caught a 2m shark that he has "identified" as a Grey Nurse, caught on a stingray

Pitty he's 14.. would love to see him get shreded by the DPI

Tim

Re: Not Impressed

I may be 14 but im not that stupid if it was a protected shark i would put it back to live another day, i also have a feeling i know that last name.

cheers sam,

It was caught on a set line >

ah yes, forgot to mention that, bloody set lines in salt water... > > > >

Tim

Sooooooo, What's wrong with set lines in salt water M8?

Cant find it on the DPI website, but im 90% sure that setlining in saltwater is illegal, it is legal in freshwater but in saltwater its a different story

Tim

Don't worry Zeeke, under the criminal code, a person aged 14 can be liable for any offence if the person has been warned before or can be proved to have known better. Might not carry the same punishment as an adult, but can still be held liable.
    I would LOVE to have my way with anyone intentionaly tageting a grey nurse!
    A harmless shark on the verge of extinction.

Zeeke
    Just looking at the photo, I doubt that it is a grey nurse.

Regards, Tony

i doubt it is too Tony.. but.. for the mere fact, you sure as hell wouldnt brag about it! "I think its a grey nurse, ill kill it anyways!"

Tim

its a whaler anyway. boys will be boys

All I can find on set lines is they are legal. But you have to have your name and phone number on it, maybe your address too.

Yeah,

I reckon its a Bull Shark. The shark looks too solid for a nurse.

But the stupid newspaper should know better.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

yes, very stupid, for the last week or so, nearly every paper has had some bullshit about sharks, yesterday it was a shark deterring device for surfers... everytime there is a shark attack, they drag out OLD articles, get new photos and sprout the same crap over and over.. ive seen plenty of sharks in maroochy river, especially in one very populated area... the creek that runs through Sunshine Plaza, its one of my fishing haunts.. they have kids who hire out plastic paddle boats and stuff.. now they'll be doing a shock scare on them

Tim

Gorilla_in_Manila

Have a look here;
    http://www.amol.org.au/collection/ho...couplet212.htm
    I'm with Rob, the longer pointed lower half of the tail looks more like a whaler to me.
    Crap reporting.
    Cheers
    Jeff

Dam right Zeeke! I am sick of it!

How silly is this - Our shark nets (that are not designed to deter sharks from our beaches) kill 35 different marine creatures for every shark that a net catches. In the last 15 years, 15 000 marine animals have been killed because of shark nets. Shark attacks on humans don't increase or decrease because of our nets, and some believe they actualy increase because nets work as a food sorce for sharks, hence attracting larger sgarks to areas of coast that have nets installed.
    35% of sharks caught in nets are caught on the beach side, meaning that the sharks have come into shallow water, had a look, left without attacking a human, and have paid the ultimate price.
    2 female mature grey nurses were caught in nets off Sydney this year, weeks after the netting program started. The estimated population of grey nurses on the east coast of australia is 300. So we have just killed off just under 1% of the east coast population of grey nurse sharks. This is the equivilent of killing about 5 thousand domesticated dogs in Australia in terms of percentage of total population.
    We still have shark nets operating in months that have not seen a beach shark attack in the history of recording shark attacks!
    Sorry guys, this is a sensitive topic for me and I have flown off the handle a bit.
    For the record, I am a water man. I surf, fish, free dive, scuba dive, ocean swim, sailboard, surf ski, am a former surf life saver and absolutely love the ocean!
    I say can the nets!!!!!!!!!
    If you are too scared of sharks, stay out of the ocean!
    African people must laugh at us. They deal with more deadly animals on a day to day basis then anyone, and they never complain!

Mick