Thread: Brisbane River - Salt or Fresh?

Brisbane River - Salt or Fresh?

ok...so my part of the River is still tidal.... does that mean it's automatically saltwater?

was contemplating sticking myself under a bridge and just see what happens.... but if I dont know salt from fresh how am I to figure out what bait is right?

such are the dilemmas of a fishing newbie

Re: Brisbane River - Salt or Fresh?

Still depends on where you are. I think it can still be tidal in fresh water because when the tide comes in, the volume of salt water can make the water level rise in the upper fresh areas. I am guesssing you are probably in a brackish area (salt and fresh, or lower salt levels). I have fished with cooked sausages in the Brisbane River, just outside of Ipswich, and landed a heep of huge catfish.

Taste it
    How salty Depends where you are, size of tides , how much rain we have had etc. etc, but generally speaking above Colleges crossing is fresh and it gets saltier from there down.
    Much better to find out what is or has been caught in the area you are going to fish and use bait and tackle that suits.
    Which bridge are you talking about?

i lived on the river at goodna icaught flathead whiting travally and cod the fresh water runs over the top of the saltwater

the brisbane river is shit ya cant fish anywhere near any pontoons or jetty's or anything cause of this terrorist bulls**t and the only thing you can really catch in there is catfish (sorry Kingtin) occasioally you might catch bream or squire but otherwise i wouldnt bother

cheer sam

oh sorry.....

I am past JIndalee (riverhills to be precise)....

fished under the Jindalee highway bridge this morning.... met my first ever catfish, and then only babies.

moved on to the Jindalee boatramp area (no boats around yay).... got two big strikes from an unknown "something"... fought beautifully until I tried to break the surface and they were gone!!!!

Salt water is denser than fresh, so the fresh will float over the salt, you may find the surface water fresh but the area most fish live in is salt, so you can have salt and fresh at the same spot at the same time. Confused yet?

Suck it and see chuck a line in and tell us what you manage to pull out then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by eeww-worms
    oh sorry.....

I am past JIndalee (riverhills to be precise)....

fished under the Jindalee highway bridge this morning.... met my first ever catfish, and then only babies.

moved on to the Jindalee boatramp area (no boats around yay).... got two big strikes from an unknown "something"... fought beautifully until I tried to break the surface and they were gone!!!!

Hey There eeww-worms,

Whe i lived at Forest Lake before moving to Birkdale Bayside, i went to the Jindalee Boat Rampd and that night, the people that were there that night caught two monsterous Jews, once i seen that i knew anything is possible.

Cheers,

David.

From an article I penned a few years back.
    The Brisbane River is roughly formed into three sections.
    - The Lower-Brisbane River being the tidal reaches from the mouth upto below Mt Crosby Weir.
    -The Mid-Brisbane River is approximately 60 km from Mt Crosby Weir upto Lake Wivenhoe.
    -The Upper-Brisbane River is from the top of Lake Wivenhoe at O'Sheas Crossing right up to the headwaters meandering through the Esk Shire up past Linville.
    http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/BrisBass.htm
    Have fished around the top of the Lower Bris River & caught mangrove jack, catfish, eels, mullet, flathead, whiting, bream, tarpon, bull sharks, tarpon, snub nosed gar & bass.

In the Mid River the main fish encountered are catfish, bass, spangled perch, lungfish (protected), snub nosed gar, golden perch, tarpon, mullet, Mary River cod (protected), saratoga & tilapia.

The salt content in the lower section depends upon recent rainfall within the catchment.

A rough guide is: tidal = salt/brackish water.

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au