Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on crossing Gold Coast Seaway?

Any tips on crossing Gold Coast Seaway?

Hi all,

Now that i have familiarised my new boat and the Broadwater a few times,i'm thinking about heading outside but judging by a few posts lately,that Seaway plays it's own game.

So,what are the tricks?

Also,what's the easiest way to find the Mermaid reef without a GPS?

All info much appreciated

Re: Any tips on crossing Gold Coast Seaway?

Nobody knows better than the boys (and girls) at the Seaway Tower. Ring the bell one day and ask them if they can give advice. They still might let people up to get a bird's view of the the seaway and surrounding banks (chocolate helps). The seaway can be easily crossed in most conditions but if in doubt, don't go.When heading out firstly sit in the seaway for at least 5 mins to become familier with the conditions and what it's doing on the day. Wear jackets if wary. Pick a slot between sets (if any swell) and go for it. Don't try turning around in the middle, just point nose into the swell and keep a steady speed. Head out past the south wall and in a SE direction once past initial swell. Crossing on a rising or still tide is much better than a falling so time your return during these times (especially during big tides). Any strong winds with a bit of East in them can make it messy at times but the seaway is the safest bar at most times.
    If in doubt, don't go.
    Cheers, Jay

To find Mermaid reef (prob shouldn't send this )

The Seaway would be the best bar in SE Qld. It is navagable almost 100% of the year.

Normally there is no issue crossing it, however on an outgoing tide in a bit of swell it tends to kickup.

You sound like a bit of a newby to the boating scene. Pick your good days & a good tide for your first few missions and as your confidence and skills grow, so will your understanding of the water.

PS. Get yourself a GPS [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinmishin
    To find Mermaid reef (prob shouldn't send this )
    I don't know Fishinmishin,It might relieve the conjestion from Palmy [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Thanks fishinmishin & Heath

Heath,you say pick your good days and tide,are we talking 5-10 knots and what sort of tide?

Yes,i am a newbie as we all are at one point in time.

I guess my biggest concern is getting out ok,but after a few hours outside,it will be a different story coming back in as we saw last week.I also thought there'd be more Gold Coasters on this board.

Cheers

There's a good contingence of Coasties on this board.

All tips are really generalisations. Same as how to drive a car. Many ways, you drive to the conditions. Same as a bar. Some days you havn't a care in the world, other days you gotta have your wits about you.

Yes light wind, SW - W is perfect. NW makes it a bit lumpy. Incomming tide is better than outgoing. Often a bar will be completely flat with the run in & a seething mess of foam and waves on the run out. Swell is a consideration also. Bigger the swell, the more you gotta look out.

For the basics & general understanding of bar crossings. You may want to look at Bill Corton's Bar Crossing Course. Yes he has a big fast boat, but its the ground roots basics that you need to obtain.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Hi having sailed a ( H28 ) from Sydney To Airlie Beach back in the 1980. And crossed many bars not seaways .
    First make shore that your boat is well prepeard that you are well prepeard With Knowledge of what your about to do .
    Like the weather forcast .sea condisions ,make shore the motor is not going to Quit on you .and after you have done all of the above make sure that you call up Airsea rescue and tell them what you are intending to do . Ask for smoe advicefrom them. then with great care procide.
    And good luck
    Hasa
    Harry Cabfisher

The 3rd and 4th hour of the outgoing tide is usually about the worst time.
    I usually head SE as I head out the seaway but I hear that straight out is also fairly ok according to the waterpolice. Wouldn't mind seeing some current maps of the banks out of curiosity but popping into the tower could be a good idea.
    Take your time and enjoy the new world offshore.

Thanks for all your replies,much appreciated.

After fishing the Broadwater for a while,i guess it's a whole new world outside.

I've decided to take one of the charters out to the reef which will show me the seaway crossing and a few of the reefs out there.

Thanks again
    Cheers

Hi there the Idear of taking A fishing charter is a very good
    one but dont be affaid to ask the skipper questions about the crossing and the times not to try.
    and dont change your mind in the middle of a trough because thats the quickest way to get rolled over.
    cheers Hasa
    Harry Cabfisher

heath... saying the sea way is the safest bar in SEQ... have you seen mooloolaba?

I am with Jeffo,

mooloolaba ...all bars on the eastern seaboard should be modelled on mooloolaba.

Just incase you wonder why, the entrance faces Northeast [smiley=2thumbsup.gif].....%90 of the time...NO SWELL!...right Jeffo

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

with reguards to the water police just going straight out
    Just HOW Big is their boat. 8M sharkcat.or better. you could go out at the wurst time and still be fine in that thing.
    i dont now about you but my 4.8m does'nt like the last of the run out in the seaway the preasure swells will put the shites up a novice , and panic or gung ho captains need swimming leasons.
    Ive been arround boats for a couple years and had cloud 9 for nearly 3 years and i still use corrsion when going out the seaway and think about the state of the tide for the return trip .
    a bit of wind on top of the outgoing tide and it gets big out there and for small boats thats not good.
    take it easy no 2 days are the same.

Cheers Cloud 9
    then it realy gets ughly

Last time I was up at Mooloolaba there was a big Shoal built up in front to the Bar, making it hard to pass according to a few locals.

This was a few year ago though, sounds like they fixed it??
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM