Thread: barometric pressure

barometric pressure

Hi guys I heard that the barometric pressure affects the way the fish behave. Can anyone tell me if this is true and what effect changes in the barometric readings have on fish.

cheers

shaggy

Re: barometric pressure

Some guy told me once this is true especially in the dams. When the pressure drops the fish tend to come on the bite. Dont know why though

yes same. some old guy who fiishes all the time (he lives on a river)
    told me when the pressure goes above certain level they are on the bite. I cant remember what the pressure is though. How ever he said it effects saltwater fishng as well.

1020 fish aplenty
    rando

Rando has hit the nail on the head. In the saltwater, a low barometer reading usually means a waste of time fishing, regardless of other factors. A high reading usually means the fish will feed more actively and aggressively. It's always good to fish a rising barometer, but, as soon as the reading takes a small fall, the fishing shuts down. I've heard it has something to do with the higher air presssure on the surface altering the pressures in the water and making the fish feed and the opposite occurs when the pressure is low or drops.

Cheers,
    NICK.

Yes, a certain well known blue water fisho, will not venture into the briney, should the Barro go below 1012.

Ditto,, to 1020 fish-a-plenty

Phill

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I saw this really well demonstrated about 20 years ago.

The barometer was dropping and the fish came on the bite really hard we were on Coast Guard that weekend. A huge cold front was coming through and we put out an urgent warning about 12 midday. One guy came in and yelled at us "it was the best days fishing ever and you put out a warning telling me to come in!" He was really angry untill I pointed out a huge line of green / black clouds approaching at speed.
    About 20 mins later the storm hit with 50kt + winds and driving rain.

A converted trawler with 3 men on board went down that afternoon they had delayed their departure due to the great fishing.

If they had left an hour earlier they would have made it home safely.

Barometer dropping rapidly, Fish will bite!

Barometer dropping rapidly, Storm approaching.

Don't risk it.

Hang on, one poster says if the baro drops fish goes of the bite another say if it drops the fish bite like there is none tomorrow. WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill
    Yes, a certain well known blue water fisho, will not venture into the briney, should the Barro go below 1012.
    Sssshhhhhhhh Phill, don't give away ALL my secrets

In actual fact I don't catch fish unless the baro is over 1060. ie I don't catch much.

Only if Baro dropping RAPIDLY. I'd say it's like grabbing that last mouthful at sizzlers before it closes . The article I read that explains this also went on to say that the falling/low barometer causing feeding seems to only apply to shallow and more particularly fresh water go figure ???
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

That is it, a low reading is bad but a rapidly dropping one is good!

sometimes wait all day for that strong wind warning to come through, dont it fire when it does