Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguishers

Fire Extinguishers

Are fire extinguishers suddenly compulsory equipment in Queensland? Extract from the Baside Bulletin of 15 February "...Note that along with EPIRBs and flare packs, on-board fire extinguishers also must be in service date tagged. Anyone who has a fire extinguisher on board who does not have a valid for use service date stamped, or attached, then take steps to rectify the problem. The cheap extinguishers from discount auto stores that feature no expiry date or service tag date, from now on will only see you receive a fine"

What the...? If I don't have one, then I'm OK, but if I do have one, make it an expensive one. I thought the idea was to encourage boaties to have them as a safety precaution.

Cheers

Re: Fire Extinguishers

A valid service tag ????

What a joke, thought this was for comercial people only

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Cmon fellas, use a bit of common sense, it is a piece of safety equipment and like all safety equipment it should be of good quality. I think it is good that extinguishers are compulsory equipment on boats as really boats sink in 3 ways, swapmed in heavy seas, holed and fire damage. Service tags are easy to obtain and if fact should come with the extinguiser when brought as it is no use if the equipment is buggered. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by macdwp01
    Cmon fellas, use a bit of common sense, it is a piece of safety equipment and like all safety equipment it should be of good quality. I think it is good that extinguishers are compulsory equipment on boats as really boats sink in 3 ways, swapmed in heavy seas, holed and fire damage. Service tags are easy to obtain and if fact should come with the extinguiser when brought as it is no use if the equipment is buggered. Cheers
    Hey Macdwp01, you get a qualified service technician to service your extinguisher how often??
    I hope it's every 6 months, then again for $19 (thats how much I payed for mine )you would just buy a new one wouldn't you.

Anyone like to post the cost of having your extinguisher serviced?

Also anyone used a fire extinguisher on a small boat??

just curious

Garry
    Garry

Yes in our boat (5.5m) we have a fire extinguiser, and yes it has not been serviced, i got my boat in 2001 and it came with safety equipment but for a fire extinguiser to cost $19 it would probably be better off at home in the cupboard then out in the elements at sea. I agree with the policy of having a extingisher and getting it serviced and i will look into mine getting serviced. As i said before fire is one of the main courses of boats getting damaged/sinking and instead of slagging off at authorities about every little rule regulation they bring in and enforce why don't you ask just do it instead of calling it a "joke" why dont you realise its common sense and its a safety issue which takes priority over that new reel in the shop.

It's a Joke because anyone can place an indentation in an identity tag

And you too can buy one for $19 from probably this countries largest marine supplier(sorry cant tell you the name..against forum rules )

mmm 2001 yours must be prety rusty by now thats unless it' get regular service

Garry

PS mine is nice and shinny and shortly it will have a nice new dent in the tag
    Garry

Yeah but if yours cost $19 id be surprised it will work after 3months.

Well ya got me with that one!

Didn't know the more ya paid the more chance of it workin

Retailers must luv you

cheers

Garry
    Garry

Just to clear this up Wello_Pete, this is the pertinent part of the regulations from Maritime Safety Queensland, part of Queensland Transport (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf...ting_equipment):

"All recreational ships over five metres in length must carry equipment capable of extinguishing a fire quickly and effectively. Fire blankets and extinguishers should be purchased from an authorised dealer who will be able to determine the best type for your needs. Fire extinguishers must be serviced by the manufacturer or an authorised agent before the expiry dates. If the equipment is inoperable it must be replaced."

Cheers

Mike

No Spianard King, its a case of getting what you paid for, use your brain, you dont have to outload enormous amounts of money but i would suggest i quality fire extinguisher would cost a bit more than $19, but its your choice. I have no doubt it works when you try it, whether though it works after hours in the elements and whether it works in a couple of months is another question. You get what you pay for.

I agree that you get what you pay for, so its their choice if someone else has cheap crap safety equipment. I pity the person who for the sake of a $26 watches their boat burn. $19 el cheapo or $45 good quality. You have a responsibility to your crew and passengers, who are usually your mates and children. Is it worth the risk ? Think of it as " life " insurance.

Cheers
    James.

Totally agree big unit, i cant imagine any type of fire extinguiser that is reliable and good quality to be under $20. Some people i guess aren't prepared to pay good money for a piece of equipment that they will probably (hopefully) never use, but if they do, i would sure as hell what something that is good quality not a sollys job fire extinguisher, hell. The insurance companies won't like it either if they find out you had a shit fire extinguisher on board and as a result your boat sunk in the depths.

In NSW you have to have an extinguisher if you have an under-floor tank. Which is the case with many new small boats these days. I gather thats not the rule up there ??

All recreational ships over five metres in length must carry equipment capable of extinguishing a fire quickly and effectively

The key words being

....must carry equipment capable of extinguishing a fire quickly and effectively....

which puts the onus back on the operator to carry "equipment" that is "capable" of extinguishing a fire quickly and effectively and if in the event of such an emergency someone is injured then the court will be asking the operator to prove that the equipment was in fact capable of meeting the requirements.

Safety has gone from being descriptive as in "one must carry a Xkg device of type Y" etc and has put the onus onto the operator.

As for testing, the normal commercial time period is 6 months but I "believe" for recreational vessels it is 12 months.

As for testing and tagging it depends on the extingusher as some can be tested past a set number of years where as others have a limited testing life, before they have to be replaced. Generally if one has an old extinguisher it is more cost effective to replace with a new one than have it tested.

And yes a "valid service tag" [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] might help some remember to find it and know where it is at least once a year

Cheers, Kerry.

Why dont you just carry a bucket or a fire blanket. Plenty of water where I go fishing to throw on a fire and a blanket can be just as good as a fire exstiguisher