Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguishers

Re: Fire Extinguishers

*you* and your boat...cooky
    yep I might die, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna

Got one in the kitchen Kerry. #And yeh - I know its illegal but its still just about the most effective retardent. #I might just have to update one of these days.
    Yes, very illegal to even have one let alone intend to use one, yet they banned them and still don't have anything that is an effective or as efficient replacement.

The only exception is aircraft, not sure if all aircraft but certainly excempted in helicopters.

Cheers, Kerry.

Here is a quote from AS 1799.1—1992 "Small Pleasure Boats Code Part 1: General requirements for power boats" which is a National Australian Standard.

6.1 PORTABLE FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
    6.1.1 Selection The type of fire extinguishers to be carried on a boat shall be appropriate to the
    type of fires likely to be encountered. Guidance on the selection of suitable fire extinguishers is given
    in AS 2444, and in Appendix E.
    6.1.2 General All boats which are powered by a motor should carry at least one extinguisher of
    rating not less than 5B.
    6.1.3 Large tanks Boats which use petrol and have fuel tanks of capacity greater than 25 L should
    carry at least one extinguisher of rating not less than 20B.
    6.1.4 LPG or other flammable gases Boats which carry LPG or any other flammable gas on board
    should carry an additional extinguisher which is recommended by the manufacturer as being suitable
    for flammable gas fires and which has a rating not less than 10B, located in the area of the appliance
    which uses the gas.
    6.1.5 Flammable liquids Boats which carry kerosene, methylated spirits, or other low flash-point
    liquid below decks should carry an additional extinguisher of rating not less than 5B located in the
    area of the appliance which uses the liquid.
    6.1.6 Boats with accommodation Boats which have sleeping accommodation should carry an
    additional extinguisher of rating not less than 2A, located near the exit to the sleeping compartments.
    6.1.7 Location and mounting Portable fire extinguishers shall be located so they are readily
    accessible from outside the compartment they are intended to serve. Recommended positions are at
    the helmsman’s station adjacent to the galley area and engine compartment and near the exit to
    sleeping compartments.
    Portable fire extinguishers shall be mounted in such a way that they will not come adrift during
    operation of the boat, and can be readily demounted for use when required.

I am not not a proffesional fire fighter, however I work for a major petroleum company and have been on our own fire teams hence have some interest in fuel / fire fighting. I am required to have annual practical (i.e. actually putting out fires) fire extinguisher training and have done a number of 'serious' training courses dealing with major (i.e. 1000's of litres) petroleum fires. The most important thing we learn is to prevent a fire starting in the first place! In this context - maintain your fuel lines, check bilge regularly for fuel, don't smoke while re-fueling etc.
    Second thing is a fire extinguisher, no matter how big or good quality/expensive, is (to use the first-aid equivalent) just a "bandaid"! Third thing is you need to know which extinguisher is appropriate and how to use it - this can only be achieved through practical training.

Like I said in post 4 buy a fire blanket covers all types of fires

Sorry to carry on ...however I feel this is an important safety issue and IMHO I think I can contribute.
    In terms of the Quality issue - if an extinguisher is certified to AS1841 it has passed the same extensive testing including pressure, impact, corrosion etc. no matter how cheap it is. Cost difference will probably be metal v/s plastic head. We use metal head units primarily because they are mounted on tankers and can be exposed to major impact in the event of an accident - shouldn't be an issue inside a boat.
    You would be surprised how big a fire, you can put out (if you know how to use it) with a 0.9kg unit, 8 seconds is a long time in a fire! If you haven't put it out by then alloy/glass is starting to burn/melt pretty seriously! The advantages of a larger unit are that surrounding heat/buring boat may reignite the fire and they usually have a hose - good for underfloor etc. N.B. dry chem will not cool the fire effected area..get the bucket! Also once activated, the unit may not stop..therefore empty before you need to use it again! Yes, Halon/BCF's are now illegal. I would recommend a fire blanket for the kitchen Cooky - you don't want to see what an (any sort) extinguisher does hitting burning oil/fat. If you don't want to get your unit professionally serviced atleast regularly check the pressure gauge is "green" and give the unit a good shake till you hear the powder moving (The 'Bay chop will compact the powder and when you go to use it all you will get is compressed air!).

Cheers
    Blue

NQCairns

Kerry I see that colour yellow every now and then when driving
    What is so bad about them? hope it is not the BS as in air conditioner gases. anyway interested to know.nq

....If you don't want to get your unit professionally serviced at least regularly check the pressure gauge is "green" and give the unit a good shake....
    Blue_e, Not wanting to get your unit professionally serviced is really not an option, it MUST be professionally serviced based on Qld requirements, which are over and above any national requirements/recommendations.

Interesting you didn't mention the wind rating regardless of standards etc. In windy conditions with some of those low rated units one may as well pi.. into the wind, which would do a lot more good than some ext.

Nq, # now why would I tell you that Halon (BCF) is unfriendly to "that" hole, I wouldn't do that #

Cheers, Kerry.

NQCairns

Thanks for that Kerry, when you stated "very illegal" I thought the stuff might have a habit of sneaking up on a person when asleep or awake! some good reason like that. Now I just feel civilly disobedient again

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry

Interesting you didn't mention the wind rating regardless of standards etc. In windy conditions with some of those low rated units one may as well pi.. into the wind, which would do a lot more good than some ext.

Cheers, Kerry.
    Just one question Kerry, would you be standing on the down wind side of a fire? This would mean that you would be trying to fight a fire from within the flames, doesn't make much sense to me, but then again Im not that bright.

Cheers Ron
    Make something Idiot proof and they make better Idiots

where's TROY when you need him?

redspeckle

Well i just read all the post's on this matter i can not see about how much is the fine for not having a Tag/Dated Fire Extinguisher ? or have miss what somebody said in the post's.
    i see this has turn into a [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=argue.gif] [smiley=behead.gif] topic .
    Well for troy might have been [smiley=hanged.gif] so please kept him out of this.
    Mitch GO [smiley=cowboy.gif] in 2005.
    ps i like cooky post on 16th feb at 9:30am its a good one

megafish71
    P.A.S.S
    If my memory serves me right, pull, aim, squeeze, sweep. Advance slowly on the fire aiming at the base... judge your distance from the start, to far, no effect, (wind will lessen the effect considerably), to close you can spread the fire very quickly.

Fires are NOT always at the stern of the vessel with the bow facing into the wind. Fires can and do start in the bow of the boat, kids have a tendancy to get bored in boats and if you are one of those unfortunate parents who have little pyromaniacs for kids then any number of things can go wrong, let of the flares, play with matches, not to mention electrical faults from wiring etc..... consequently you may be fighting a fire from the wrong side, (downwind, toxic fumes pouring in your face), in a fire you need to assess very quickly if you CAN save the boat or wether it is advisable not wasting precious time trying to put out a fire that has already taken hold, and wether or not it is more prudent to put out a Mayday, grab your epirb, your grab bag if you have one etc etc..... On water fires are nothing like a house fire where you can fight the fire upwind or flee fairly easily or quickly, boats are full of materials that turn your haven in to a fire storm in literally seconds in some cases.... at the end of the day, shop around by all means, buy something that will do the job in all conditions but also know how to use your equipment properly before you need it as you probably wont have time to read the instructions during the day, and you may be looking for a torch at night... lets face it, how many people here can HONESTLY say, when the power goes out at home that you can find your torch in the dark and you have previously checked the batterys to ensure they will work... try doing it on a boat in the dark in a panic.... dare I say it but IU would bet that their are a few people on here that have absolutely no idea how to use the flares they complain so bitterly about having to buy... thankfully that would be a MINORITY in this site...
    My 2c worth

Advance slowly on the fire aiming at the base... judge your distance from the start, to far, no effect,
    Priceless common-sense mate , same as taking away the oxygen supply with a fire/wet blanket [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by megafish71

Just one question Kerry, would you be standing on the down wind side of a fire? This would mean that you would be trying to fight a fire from within the flames, doesn't make much sense to me, but them again Im not that bright.
    ....In windy conditions with some of those low rated units one may as well pi.. into the wind, which would do a lot more good than some ext. If you didn't read that in the context it was written, in that lowly rated fire ext. have about the same affect as pi.. into the wind then maybe I should have just said somthing like cheap, pissy, crap, low rated fire ext. on a boat are a waste of space, get the message but pi... into the wind basically has the same affect.

As for fighting a fire on a boat well it's not like you can always easily run around the other side of a fire either, hey but I'll let you work that one out.

Cheers, Kerry.