Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguishers

Re: Fire Extinguishers

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King

Hey Gazza, is that before or after the "BANG"....lol

Garry
    [smiley=fireman.gif]....BEF [smiley=bomb.gif] [smiley=bomb.gif] [smiley=bomb.gif] ..... [smiley=angel.gif]

Just to add Fuel to the fire
    I do not profess to be an expert on fire equippment but would imagine a cheaper extinguisher would have a lower BE rating than a more expensive model, apart from the fact of the amount of fire retardent enclosed....

BE rating, what is it, know your extinguisher, BE refers to the wind rating, a general purpose or kitchen extinguisher may have a BE rating of 5. Our comercial extinguishers have a rating of 40... what does all this mean??? Extinguishers designed for indoor use, are best left for indoors... a 5BE extinguisher will be of little or no use in winds anything stronger than 5 knots, another point to consider is that the constant pounding of running around can compact the retardant to such an extent as for it to not work at all when you do need it, every month, tip it upside down and give it a couple of thumps with a rubber mallet, when it expires, test it or ditch it less you expire....
    Mmmm, fight a fire with water, what is the source??? you may in fact be hastening your demise by spreading the fire..... think carefully first.... and Sydney to Hobart, ahhh the CLASSIC EXAMPLE of people who either had the gear and no knowledge to go with it, or those that thought it wouldnt happen to them!!! The very same experienced sailors who when in their UPTURNED LIFERAFT fighting for their life, decided to cut a hole in the floor which was now the top to see what was happening outside, all aboard the liferaft died when the wind and waves righted it again, yep she will be right.... it wont happen to me either..... yea right [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=hanged.gif]
    BayFiery, where are you when we need you

I'll have to buy a key ring size fire extinguiser just in case I fart near someone smoking

F**k all people have a fire extinguiser in their house let alone boat / car.

Go dirt bike riding and attach a Fire extinguiser to that too - just in case

Mind you they look great in the boat / car - shiny red cylinder thingys. Very professional looking - I think I'll get 4 - one for each corner of the boat. When my mates come fishing with me I'll ask them to complete a Health Questionaire and run them through a Safety induction - showing them where the exits are , how to use the radio, how to use the fire extinguisers, how to use flares (practical examples), how to turn on the EPIRB, how to kill sharks, where the life jackets are, etc. I'll get them to answer a questionnaire showing understanding and then get them to sign their lives away. After their 2 hour induction at the boat ramp we'll go fishing, they'll get pissed and die of heat exhaustion.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky
    I'll have to buy a key ring size fire extinguiser just in case I fart near someone smoking #

Go dirt bike riding and attach a Fire extinguiser to that too - just in case #

Mind you they look great in the boat / car - shiny red cylinder thingys. #Very professional looking - I think I'll get 4 - one for each corner of the boat. #When my mates come fishing with me I'll ask them to complete a Health Questionaire and run them through a Safety induction - showing them where the exits are , how to use the radio, how to use the fire extinguisers, how to use flares (practical examples), how to turn on the EPIRB, how to kill sharks, where the life jackets are, etc. #I'll get them to answer a questionnaire showing understanding and then get them to sign their lives away. #After their 2 hour induction at the boat ramp we'll go fishing, they'll get pissed and die of heat exhaustion.
    Sh*t cooky,

where do I sign up [smiley=laola.gif]

[smiley=iloveyou.gif]
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Fishing (what next) just scares the S#$t out of me!! I think i might just give up.
    Budgie

Subzero [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Cooky, Now ya talking, that's not as wild as you think keep up that thinking and your starting to get the drift [smiley=thumbsup.gif] but pissed NO you forgot one thing, the drug and alcohol test.

Cheers, Kerry.

Full medical would be required before admission onto my boat. This would include a pre-screen drug and alcohol test, but nothing to say the mongrels wouldn't get stuck into it once out to sea. There again I enforce a search before entry type arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky
    I'll have to buy a key ring size fire extinguiser just in case I fart near someone smoking #

Go dirt bike riding and attach a Fire extinguiser to that too - just in case #

Mind you they look great in the boat / car - shiny red cylinder thingys. #Very professional looking - I think I'll get 4 - one for each corner of the boat. #When my mates come fishing with me I'll ask them to complete a Health Questionaire and run them through a Safety induction - showing them where the exits are , how to use the radio, how to use the fire extinguisers, how to use flares (practical examples), how to turn on the EPIRB, how to kill sharks, where the life jackets are, etc. #I'll get them to answer a questionnaire showing understanding and then get them to sign their lives away. #After their 2 hour induction at the boat ramp we'll go fishing, they'll get pissed and die of heat exhaustion.
    Alas..signing an indemnity form will not release anyone from incompetence. A form will not override the law.

years back..when I was a young pup..I did a bit of rally driving...rolled the car in the early hours one morning...damn thing caught fire..grabbed ext. from under the seat..put it out easily but alas the car was a write off from the roll over. Without the ext. I would not have salvaged anything from it.

Anyone buying small carbon dioxide/dry chemical fire extinguishers (<2kg) consider this...

These small extinguishers will only give you a fight time of between 5-8 seconds. Larger 5kg extinguishers will give you anywhere between 15-30 seconds max. I seriously believe that although the smaller extinguishers are made to Australian Standards, they also provide false security to buyers who think any gear is the right gear. Be sure to know what you are buying, and for what fire it is used etc... and how long can you fight a fire for.

Proper use is all important, especially when you have such limited time with these extinguishers.

Also consider fire blankets - they are very effective when used correctly. Who would ever think to turn your hands in under the blanket rim to protect them when placing them over a fire? Surpisingly you can put out large fires with these - eg a 44 gallon barrel with many liters of diesel. Again it's technique and it's simple to learn.

Seriously consider what you've got (or don't have!) and know how to use it. You never now when it comes in handy (speaking from experience)

DICER

So does anybody still have BCF (yellow) fire extinguishers on board?

Cheers, Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza
    Regardless of $$$ (personal choice and hypocondriacs included) #

As long as gear/equipment is 'accepted as legal' from place of purchase, who could be fined for having 'something' at least. #???
    Hey Gazza,
    That is a common misconception, the retailer has no responsibility in that respect to the consumer when making a purchase. For example you can go to an Army disposal store and purchase Hand Cuffs and/or an Extendable baton, now without a current Security / Police Weapons license the Police can charge you with possesion of a Restricted Item/s. The retailer does not have to inform you that you shouldnt have it. He will just take your money and watch you leave. My point is you bought them from a store legitamatley but it is illegal to own them without a license and you have no comeback on the retailer. My example is a bit off track but I am sure you know what I mean. The law is complex, not always crystal clear, and it isnt open to interpretation. As I said before its your choice and wear the result.

Cheers
    James.

no, but on my boat I have a Fire Supression system, it's able to 'contain' any fire before it gets out of control. My boat is the only thing that will burn - you're not in danger - I like to call it THE OCEAN.

*you* and your boat...cooky

Pinhead, how about a passenger train locomotive@160km/h and car (diesel) on level crossing....~12 extinguishers later

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry

Cheers, Kerry.
    Got one in the kitchen Kerry. And yeh - I know its illegal but its still just about the most effective retardent. I might just have to update one of these days.