Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguishers

Re: Fire Extinguishers

Isn't it all part of "Duty Of Care",a fire happens,someone gets burnt,your open for litigation,there goes the house,car,everything you own,because of neglect on your behalf.This day an age, anything can happen.

No more BBQ's at my place

Mate, lets just remember to keep our priorities right, especially if your boat is used for offshore fishing. As far as im concerned, a owner of a offshore boat should buy the best quality saftey gear he can afford, obviously though if you can afford to own a boat he should be able to afford a better quality fire extinguisher than a $19 one. With a estuary boat one could probably afford to go down in terms of quantity and quality, obviously one wouldnt need a epbirb ( unless in remote conditions) radios, etc, etc. However, offshore fishing is different and everytime one goes out they must realise that there is a risk that they might not come back for whatever reason. That risk can quickly escalate with crap gear, sudden onset of weather, etc. Since the risk can rise so quickly and easily you should endeavour to have the best quality equipment you think reasonable and you can afford. With the fire extinguisher there is no compromise, fire can down a boat quicker then you can drop a line in the water, insurance companies don't protect you on the water, they help you on land, your insurance on the water for your boat is really a fire blanket and fire extinguiser. Therefore, have something that at least will work, not a $19 extinguiser that would probably be better off used as hair spray bottle.

Funnily enough what I pay $19 for you probably pay $50 for

How big a fire extinguisher do we need in a boat over 5.5m Kerry?

Cheers

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Just dug this up

Fire extinguishers should have a capacity of 0.9 kg and meet AS 1841.5 Depending on the layout of the vessel and fire risks more than one extinguisher may be required.

Looks like I am well covered with a 1.1kg a whole .2kg to spare

handy web site too http://www.safeboating.org.au/Equipm.../index.asp#qld

Garry
    Garry

Where dig you dig that up Spaniard. I cant see where in Queensland that is a requirement.

Derek

on the web site I posted Derek

Garry
    Garry

I think you should read it again. There is no such requirement for Queensland.

You appear to have quoted the Tasmanian requirements.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King
    ....How big a fire extinguisher do we need in a boat over 5.5m Kerry?....
    Gary,

Sizes are no longer specified and the judgement is left up to to the user who has to meet the following requirement Capable of extinguishing a fire quickly and effectively

So whatever it takes to do that.

Cheers, Kerry.

QUEENSLAND BOATIES ONLY

This is the Maritime Safety Queensland Website.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf..._equipment_rec

Check it out. Is all the links you need for specifications and definitions.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King
    Just dug this up

Fire extinguishers should have a capacity of 0.9 kg and meet AS 1841.5 Depending on the layout of the vessel and fire risks more than one extinguisher may be required.

Looks like I am well covered with a 1.1kg a whole .2kg to spare....
    Capacity is no longer valid but if a 0.9kg puts out the fire then it meets the spec if it didn't then it wasn't capable.

Cheers, Kerry.

I figure a petrol fire on a small vessel you aint gonna have too much time to do much anyway...must be where common sense should cut in hey ???

Looks like ya always in the wrong if ya get into trouble these days accidents or not

Garry
    Garry

Geez, if it's a bigger fire than 2 kg. ??? , i'd bail

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza
    Geez, if it's a bigger fire than 2 kg. #??? , i'd bail #

Hey Gazza, is that before or after the "BANG"....lol

Garry
    Garry

Mad_Barry

After 5 pages, has anyone actually got a link to some sort of test showing the results of an equivalant size and type $19 extingusher vs an equivalant size and type $50 extinguisher ?