Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguishers

Re: Fire Extinguishers

Best way to put out a fire on your boat is TO SINK IT. It works every single time guaranteed.

I think both arguments in this post are a little flawed, but I can see both sides.

I agree that it would seem a bit ridiculous to get your fire exting. checked every 6 or 12 months unless you guys have a lot friggin more time than I do. I can't even find time to put the bloody rego sticker on. Fortunately I have a mate working for a fire/alarm place and he'll get my good larger exting. for ZIP $.

I have a fire extinguiser in boat, but not sure how current it is. It's your normal small one. I personally would prefer using a blanket and bucket - I think you're wasting your time with a small fire extinguiser (4x4 experts say anythign smaller than a medium is a waste of space - will only calm the fire down before running out).

The argument about getting cheap (getting what you pay for) annoys me a little, because it's these sort of attitudes that are filling Supercheap auto and other cheap-arse stores buying sh*t products. Don't compare cheap to quality. I believe depending on the purpose you should either buy cheap or expensive and not in the middle - think power tools.

I agree that it would seem a bit ridiculous to get your fire exting. checked every 6 or 12 months unless you guys have a lot friggin more time than I do.

Well it might appear ridiculous to some BUT it does put some of the onus back onto others as having a fire ext. is one thing but knowing, expecting that it will work is quite another but if at least the mob who test it then tag it as being operational and it doesn't work between service periods then the onus can be put onto them otherwise our simply leaving yourself wide open and not covering your own er.. and people who don't take the opportunity to cover their own ar.. regardless of not having the time etc or whatever excuse leave themselves wide wide open.

I suppose those who can't find the time to have safety equipment checked and serviced may not then have time to use it # would they? and one would have to ask if they fully know how to use the equipment anyway #.

Cheers, Kerry.
    #
    #

NQCairns

Hang on! you cannot buy an extingusher in Australia that is crap cheap or not! We have standards all the expensive ones have to do is pass the standard as does the cheaper. I am amazed sometimes by the portal (sp)this site gives into some consumers way of thinking . When I throw money around I usually do it gain something tangable or above.
    Thanks mike for the info , common sense prevails thankfully. I thought once again more good for nothing but industry proping legislation reared it's ugly head. nq

I wouldn't rely on the industrial standard, it is basically a gimmick. Most things will pass it, doesnt mean they are all the same in terms of quality. One must realise you get what you pay for and i for one would not buy a extinguiser for less than $40. One has to realise safety takes preference over all the over things you want to buy for your boat. So until you have a good quality extinguiser you should leave that new reel in the shop.

Nq, Standards are one thing but standards are generally manufacturing standards and don't necessarily mean all equip carrying an australian stanard meets the following requirement

....equipment must now be serviced by the manufacturer or an authorised agent by their expiry date which must be clearly marked on the item....

So as long as the particular make/model etc can be serviced "by the manufacturer" or "authorized agent" then that meets the requirements so the first question before buying anything is the availability of "serviceability".

Cheers, Kerry.

I have an extinguisher in my boat that was supplied new by the dealer. Is this a cheap one? I guess you only ever find out when you use it. I have bought quality brand name electrical equipment that has been DOA, had parts missing and plain didn't work when tested.

On a related issue, who, as of right now, can operate their flares? And who has checked that they can use them, and again how do you practice for whenever an emergency may occur?

Cheers

There a whole range of pro's and con's for this debate. It all comes down to your personal safety standards. With good management you shouldnt have a fire onboard. However in the event of a fire onboard, I know that it can be put out quickly with minimal damage to my boat. Basically I think you can make your own choices and wear the result.

Cheers
    James.

once again i think alot of blokes on this site has blown this right out of proption
    as with all safty gear i don't think you can have enoght and you should never say it woun't happen to me
    so as for standards or price and qulity who gives a rats bum
    any fire extinguisher is better than none and thats the way the water police/water athoritys will see it
    i have a fair bit of dealing with these people and every single one tells me that they will much prefure to give a warning and hand over some reading matrial for the regulations that may be getting broken than fineing people on the spot and it is only if some one is well and truly breaking the rules or a real threat on the water that they will fine and in some case take into custordy
    they see their jobs as one of makeing everyone safer on the water so if you have all your safty equipment but don't have a stamped fire extinguisher but have a cheap one on board they would be fine and if you didn't have something then most times they will just tell you to get what ever item/s and hand you some reading
    the only expction to this would be for commeril boat where there is no lee way with any safty gear
    think your selfs lucky that it is only flares and fire extinguishers that need checking on all passanger boats every bit of kit need to be checked every few mounth and that includes life jackets

I'd suspect that since these requirements have been in force since August 2004 that the time for reading material is past. Apparently a lot of officers are leaving for work without the handouts

The other items that some might carry (apart from flares etc) that also fall into this manufacturer/agent only test and tag basis is inflatable life jackets and Epirbs.

Also part of the same legislation there's the new "Compulsory" Capacity labels and penalties will apply for a breach after 1 September 2005.

Cheers, Kerry.

yeh but i don't think the inflatable life jackets are allowed yet as a pfd1 for outside but are for enclosded water
    well in nsw anyway got to love this one rule for here and another for there but know what your saying
    hell one day kerry all our gear will need to inspected annualy

but i would be happy to see everyone carry the equipment they are spossed to and not some of the stuff you see at the boat ramps each week
    some of the stuff you see make your mind boggle

people who don't take the opportunity to cover their own ar.. regardless of not having the time etc or whatever excuse leave themselves wide wide open
    knew you'd be lurking out there somewhere Kerry - just checking

I'm a reasonably safe person as I've stated before, just not as pedantic as some. I accept risk. I have a fire extinguiser in my boat, i have them in my office, i used to have one in my 4x4. I have 2 lots of flares, EPIRB, safety blanket, those floaty things, VHF, I know how to swim, Snorkel, fins/mask, oars, etc.

You can't wrap yourself in cotton wool - just take reasonable steps.

Mind you though I had to have a laugh. That reef trip I went out on the other week (when I was worried about fuel). There I am bottom fishing in the back of the boat and turn around to see my brother in-law in the cuddy cabin sitting on 3 x 20L + 1 x 10L jerry cans full of fuel (they were in the well between the seats). HE's sitting on them and trying to get his lighter to work to light a smoke out of the wind. I reminded him that he was sitting on 70L of unleaded and he said "f**k didn't realise - not a smart move" and proceeded to light his smoke.

Cooky, I think you have touched on a couple of valid points.

There aint enough Safety gear in this world to replace common sense and experience.

This whole new laws things is about us checking out our gear more regularly and seems to be always being thrown back at the operator who is responsible for the safe operation of the vessel and it's passengers.

Probably a lot of people out there who have never seen their safety gear.

Garry

Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by basserman
    yeh but i don't think the inflatable life jackets are allowed yet as a pfd1 for outside but are for enclosded water well in nsw anyway....
    To be used on offshore yachts then they would have to meet PFD1 standards, wouldn't they as something like the Sydney-Hobart is good enough for being "offshore" .

But yes some of the legislation is absolute rubbish and that especially includes the mandatory wearing of life jackets such as in Tasmania.

On the other hand even if some users were led by the hand they still would be a danger to themselves and everybody else including those that have to drag their sorry ar.. back in and generally for simple and stupid things that are totally preventable.

Accepting risk is one thing, being able to manage risk is totally different.

Cheers, Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry

To be used on offshore yachts then they would have to meet PFD1 standards, wouldn't they as something like the Sydney-Hobart is good enough for being "offshore" #.

Accepting risk is one thing, being able to manage risk is totally different.

Cheers, Kerry.
    i belive the sticking point in NSW was the inflatable ones that don't self inflate but that being said yes they have been getting used in offshore boat racing for years
    i'm not too sure if they were past yet or not but i do know the ABT was pushing them hard as in their rule you need your PFD1 on while driveing/on the plane
    personly i like them and the self-inflationg ones would be good outside and even better as you could have them on all day and not notice them [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

but i need to say i like your last quote

Regardless of $$$ (personal choice and hypocondriacs included) #

As long as gear/equipment is 'accepted as legal' from place of purchase, who could be fined for having 'something' at least. #???