Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Drinking and Driving

Re: Drinking and Driving

Quote Originally Posted by Godzone
    Geez this thread's littered with Ned Flanderuses..

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a cold beer in a boat (especially on a hot day). There's everything wrong with being shickered while being on a boat.

Having a beer while out fishing, doesn't equate to being irresponsible. If you're a tea-totaller, fine there's nothing wrong with that, nobody's gonna accuse you of being a boring old fart either..
    4 beers , and I'm anybodies!!

Nowadays ,only have a single glass ,on a hotday

well, hasn't this thread gotten interesting!

There is a BIG difference between enjoying a couple of beers while kicking back, and being irresponsible. I think most people are sensible enough to recognise the time and place when it is safe to have a couple.

Personally, I rarely drink while in the boat because I am too busy fishing

Something else for all the wowsers to consider:
    Apparently being tired is equivalent to being under the influence. How many of those who would NEVER have alcohol on board, never get up before dawn so they avoid being tired on the water or while driving?

Bet theres a few hippocrites out there.....

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Nicely put Jeremy ..Think the problemo is some people have stopped goin fer a walk in the Park occasionally n smellin the Flowers, watchin a Sunset n enjoyin life in general whilst lookin at the bright side of things..
    Lifes too short to be doing otherwise..
    Cheers

It certainly has Jeremy. I think some people decided that a 'non dry boat' automaticaly means the person in charge of that boat is irresponsible, which is rubbish in any ones language. A non dry boat may have 3 light beers in an esky. There have been plenty of times I have put a 6 pack in the boat and brought all 6 home because I preferred a can of coke instead, or decided to go diving instead of fishing.
    Derek, I would like to know what comments have disgusted you to the core and where you draw the line on what is a responsible amount of alcohol to be kept on board a vessel for each person on board. Not having a go at you mate, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect whatever that may be.
    I thought most people's comments were pretty good. In comparison to some of the behavior that goes on in my neck of the woods, we (ausfish) could be concidered angels. I regulary see, small boats with under aged kids binge drinking and flying around the creek at night with no boat lights and 20 crab pots slung all over the boat. Loaded shotties are not rare either.
    Now this is what I call irresponsible.
    Mick
    PS I wonder how long the P and O Fairstar would stay in business if it announced it would become a dry boat. And these things carry more human lives then any boat I have been on. I know the captain and drivers may be 100% sober, but guests are not, and some of them like to jump off the boat in rough sea's in the middle of the night. Now, I am not too sure alcohol was the problem for this accident. How many times have you all been loaded up and gone to the gateway bridge to jump off it or decided to have a sleep on some nice cosy railway tracks? This is just suicide! In this case it is not alcohol that is the problem, it's the individual that has the problem. Alcohol will be blamed for every accident if it can be proven that alcohol fits into the scenerio in some way small or large. I think that some accidents are going to happen whether alcohol plays a role in the accident or not.

The above example I gave is a bit like the stories we hear about LSD / acid. "Acid is a bad drug, because kids jump off tall buildings thinking they can fly." Um...., hellooooooooooo......, if you think you can fly, wouldn't you try from the ground first?

All, I am saying, is that there are too many idiots harboured in our world to blame mind altering substances for their behavior.
    Before anyone nails me about this, I am well aware of all the bad bagage that comes with drugs and alcohol and I CERTAINLY don't endorse / encourage it.
    Mick

Now ya gone n done it Mick!!, just when Derek went all quiet on the subject..Jazus mate, you bored or sumthin?? [smiley=dizzy.gif].
    Cheers

mmmmm....., maybe you could PM Derek instead of posting extracts from the media, different web sites to read or any law extracts from an ACT, regulation or subordinate law. ALL, i want to know is what comments bothered him and maybe why, and how he feels about someone keeping a couple of coldies in an esky.

"Apparently being tired is equivalent to being under the influence. How many of those who would NEVER have alcohol on board, never get up before dawn so they avoid being tired on the water or while driving?"

I usually go to bed at between 10 and 11pm and am up by 3.30am every day ..do I fit into this category.

Nothing like a Rum or two while on a night expedition, keeps the mossies/midgies subdued, help pass the night away and improves the fishing
    regards

Dry boats? The US navy bans all Alcohol on all ships.

Australian navy and UK Navy one drink per man per day perhaps.

The Australian and UK have far less incidents of sly grog and drug taking.

Moderation in all things.

(Q) what is the difference between a drunk and an alcoholic ?

(A) An alcoholic has one drink and cannot stop,
    A drunk has one drink and can stop ....... they just don't want to:-)!

Alcohol and drunkeness are very important-It's the only way ugly people get to have sex.

Nath...

good thing Im not drinking for a while is it Mick?