Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spearfishing a clubbie on the gold coast

wacco_fozzy

Re: Spearfishing a clubbie on the gold coast

I must admit I lost a lot of respect for clubbies some time ago after a surf boat decided to beach itself between the flags and being told by the sweep to get out of the f&*^%g way.

spearfishin,

I checke dwith the guys and girls at Sportmans wharehouse, One guy there is right into it and he can tell you all the does and donts.
    I even think they have a club as the last time I was in there they had a pic of so Cheeky SOd that nailed a 10.6kg Jack in a Comp.

Hope this helps

Lost a substancial amount of respect for them, out at Alex headlands one day. Was surfing 10 to 12 foot waves when my leg rope snapped. I was more then 200 meters off shore (past the breaking waves) and my board got washed into the beach. I decided to swim in and get the surfboard. As I swam, a huuuuuuggggge set come through. There would of been 6 waves in the set and each one of them smashed me. My wetsuit filled with water and I found myself being held under on each wave for what seemed like forever. Using my last bit of strength, I made it to the surface, just in time to get some more air before being smashed up by another big set of waves.
    I remember giving up while being tossed around on the bottom of the ocean. I was certain I was a dead man, when suddenly I found myself on the surface again. My eyes were blurry, had a massive instant head ache from lack of air and was completely exhausted from trying to stay above water. I had probably another 50 meters to swim when I heard a voice come over the PA from the surf club. "If the struggling surfer who lost his board wants to get out of the rip he is in, please swim north".
    I couldn't swim anymore, I needed to be rescued. No one came. I did make it to the beach where I fell unconsious and was eventualy treated by ambo's. Not one life guard come to see if I was ok(while I was conscious or from I can remember). A crowd of gatheres retrieved my board from near Maroochydore. My mates asked the life guards why they made no attempt to help me. My mates were told 2 stories. One, it was too rough for them to go in for rescue (even though the beach wasn't closed) and another mate of mine was told that he thought I was someone elso who could handle themselves in that situation.
    Mick

I am sure if I ever get rescued, I will be eternally grateful
    In the mean time, they often give me the sh&$ts, they act as they own the beach, they are not allowed to enforce any of their advice, tell them you are going spearing there and if they dont like it, they can call the police.
    If they physically touch you have them charged with assault.

Yeh i had a good audiance form the stink i kicked up at kings beach was even funnier when i turned my back on them and returned to the water to continue spearing knowing i was within my rights They tried to tell me the regs came from the council and they could enforce them on me wish they would have tried

Greg

Greg

This is coming from an ex clubbie so may be a bit one sided but YES there are some d**kheads in the movement. Some absolute ones at that and I agree with you that a certain amount of big headedness goes on as well. It has probably changed somewhat since I left with the whole movement towards political correctness and the like. it did used to be a place for real watermen to test their stuff, to hear that some fool left the guy surfing at Alex and just called over the loudhaler is disgusting. Like anything you take the good with the bad, never - ever feel intimidated by fools like these at the ramp who blocked it and washed down their boat - offer to take some photos and send them to the local free press on how our tax money is being spent and you'll get a quick response I'm sure. The volunteer guys only work on the weekends on the G.C. anyway and then only in Spring - Autumn. Every mid week day is a paid life gaurd who I'm sure you will find is a decent guy and knows the ocean better than you or I could ever hope to. Educate the idiots for everyones good and I'm sure we'll all get along with them. Thye don't have any authority and if you know the rules then you know what you can/can't do so tell em so. Obviously I wouldn't want some guy walking out through the flagged area with a loaded speargun but I think we all have enough sense to know what's Ok and what's not don't we.

Yeh well now one responcible for a spear gun would walk between the flags they will get no more money from me thats for sure and the local club i support and are a member will not have my support no more

Greg

Hey aaron, well said mate. I should of mentioned I was also once a yellow and red capped soldior as well and have continued to throw some loose dollars in the direction of clubbies. My situation at Alex that day did disgust me, but I am sure all the good they do, must make up for the odd bad occasion. Can't hold grudges forever.
    Mick

True mick i was a bit pissed of at the time my apoligies to all i will stil support them

Greg

well same here the anually donation of $200 for the port surf rescue is over for me too

i would of loved to take the pic but as i said before i was well and trully out numbered
    but then again money means alot to these guys so i know they will feel it down the track if they keep this type of attatude and behaver up