Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fish in Freezer - how long?

Re: Fish in Freezer - how long?

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin

Crusoe next long weekend mate. Pull up and help yourself to a muddie and catfish mornay.........accompanied by the best cognac of course :-)

cheers

kev
    I might drop in Kev...but no way am I going to eat catty...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...will supply the green ginger..always have that with me...nectar of the gods.

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead

I might drop in Kev...but no way am I going to eat catty...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...will supply the green ginger..always have that with me...nectar of the gods.
    OK mate, I'll leave the catty out and replace it with shovelly ;-)

Green ginger, whisky (lots of it), hot water and a slice of lemon used to be a favourite of mine to keep off those pommy chills.......think I'll hump a bottle along next time and see how it goes with the brandy.

cheers

kev

I keep my fish in a normal Westinghouse upright freezer and have had no probs keeping them for 12 months and have never been sick from it. The trick is to keep them from the air.

Another good method is to freeze them exposed to air, then dip them in water, allow to freeze for a couple hours again, then re-dip. This forms a layer of ice over the top and reduces the exposure to air.

IF not, seal them in an airtight back and you are ok.

As in the previous posts pelagics freeze for shorter periods than white reef species, BUT listen...

Dont ever wash or clean fish in tap water [especially city water eg Brisbane]
    If you havent got access to ocean salt water rinse your fillets or fish in a solution of 5 litres water to half cup salt. I clean whole fish or fillet and drop them in a bucket of salt water and crushed ice. This coats the fish and then seal them in bags getting rid of as much air as possible.
    They will be great eating for at least 6 months if your freezer runs at minus 20 degrees.