Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VMR / Coast Guard Membership

Re: VMR / Coast Guard Membership

Mooloolaba is Coastguard unit QF6 (Call sign VMR 406), not a VMR unit....Me, I wouldnt pay personally.... certainly not $320-00 anyhow, thats for sure... That sort of thing happens all the time (cancelled jobs) and is all part of the job... I do not know of any instances where VMR units ATTEMPT to recover costs for jobs that have been cancelled unless they are people who regualy get themselves into strife by doing stupid things repeatedly such as repeatedly running out of fuel or we had one at Vicky Point whos mooring was in such dissrepair that he lost it 4 times, 3 times we recovered it and tried to recover our costs but got nothing apart from "I didnt tell you to recover it"... well the 4th time, sadly, it made the rocks in the Anchorage (Pt Halloran), we were a tad bit slow getting to it that time .
    I will also point out that the above job, the Vessel was not a hazzard to navigation, and their were no persons on board so technicly we shouldnt get involved anyhow as this becomes salvage work...
    Getting back to the Coastguard thing above, ALL RESCUE GROUPS THROUGHOUT AUSTRALIA, have a VMR call sign even though they may be from another group so confusion as to which group is envolved is likely from time to time.
    Cheers Lloyd

noluck

Lioyd that was costgard mooloolaba and that was his 1st and last call for recavery.
    it hapend 3 4 weeks ago i was at fishing at banks ther was two boats, frind of my he pull out his brend new bar crusher and he run out of fuel obout 18 km out . and my friend hwo was with me on my boat he told me what hapened to him 2 years ago (he has to pay $320 for not seing costgart part of at ramp). so i got seck and whant to go back but my friend say will see u at ramp just what do few more strols. i got at remp he was not ther so i got to morefield when he call us and say he run out off fuel.
    He say he call for costgard but ther say ther will cam soon as ther got cru thugeder whan ??? did not say . so we got fuel and went back to him . and we all comm back hapy and safe a. i will just say when we lonch boat back in wather was late afternoon sea got very ruf and big took me over one hour for 18 km.

Quote Originally Posted by no_luck
    Lioyd that was costgard mooloolaba and that was his #1st and last call for recavery.
    it hapend 3 4 weeks ago i was at fishing at banks ther was two boats, frind of my he pull out his brend new bar crusher and he run out of fuel obout 18 km out . and my friend hwo was with me on my boat he told me what hapened to him 2 years ago (he has to pay $320 for not seing costgart part of at ramp). so i got seck and whant to go back but my friend say will see u at ramp just what do few more #strols. i got at remp he was not ther so i got to #morefield when he call us and say he run out off fuel.
    He say he call for #costgard #but ther say ther will cam soon as ther got cru thugeder whan #??? did not say . #so we got fuel and went back to him . and we all comm back hapy #and safe a. i will just #say when we lonch boat back in wather #was late afternoon sea got #very ruf and big took me #over one hour for 18 km.
    WTF!!!

I think the answer is "YES"
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

no_luck, that was very foolish of your friend to run out of fuel so far out to sea, it is also of some concern that he may not have checked the weather reports before going and did not get updates throughout the day.... I hope that he has learned his lesson especially as he is obviously carrying other people who trust in his judgement....
    I also assume in my above message that when he had made other arrangements for help, (you to come and pick him up), that he did contact Coastguard and let them know that they were no longer needed and didnt just leave it to see who got their first... As you know boats are very expensive to run and maintain and Coastguard are Volunteers too, and I see that the boat they more than likely used was a 13m Cairns Custom Craft which would have used an awful lot of fuel if not cancelled. I think a donation would have been in order particualy as they had to call out extra crew etc
    Cheers Lloyd

Hey Guys,

Do you know of any coast guard or VMR that are in need of new volunteers?

Most units are usualy after Volunteers, but you must be prepared to do the other bits that come with it, such as fundraising.
    Where do you live Kiktz?

noluck

i did not blime him it was newboat and he burnd 160l in 130km and fuel gadges still showing just under 1/4 of full.that was his frst big trip and YES did call back costgard and advice tham that his fiends coming to drop fuel wail i was still at morefield servo at time so ther say thanks for advicing if he need futer halp to just call back wich was very nice from costgard.
    cheers

....i did not blime him it was newboat....
    Well I would for the reasons 1) Did not know his boat well enough as obviously he had absolutely no idea of expected fuel usage 2) Trusted a bloody fuel gauge

Cheers, Kerry.

Subzero,

I live in Brissy but have good access to the Gold Coast.
    I am not too sure on which way to go ???

As the added extras, My aim is to be able not just to gain greater experience but as I have said in the past give something back. We all fish and love our boating...
    The way I see it a lil of my time is not that big of a deal.

Cheers

P.S

Not trying to make a witch hunt out of this but got to agree with Kerry, We have had our Allison for 2 yrs and I still carry spare fuel on board. And the fact of the matter is as Kerry said you NEED to know your boat in all aspects not just on its fuel range

Kiktz, if you like pm me and tell me what suburb you live in.
    I know Nth Stradbroke are desperate for members and are finding it hard to keep the doors open. They have a very limited number of people available to help out because of their locality. (They have good support from the locals financially and dont fundraise as much as others).
    If you are on the Southside, I would opt for VMR Southport or VMR Jacobs Well if you dont mind the travel. Remember to take into consideration the expectations that will be placed upon you to assist with fundraising, public promotions, training courses and of course your actual roster.
    Let me know which one's you are considering joining and I will get some phone numbers for you to ring to discuss what they will expect from you, and you in return will expect from them.
    With regards to Kerry, it's very hard to disagree with him on most occassions, the difference is I have to be a little more tactfull than him...
    I suspect that Kerry might have had some Vollunteer experience with one of the groups and is keeping mum about it... just a wild guess
    Cheers Lloyd

Lloyd,

Sent you PM Looking forward to your reply

Thanks

It might just me, but it seems like Lloyd and a couple of other guys are using this site as a political tool to try and work out the troubles of a couple of groups that can't even manage to sit in the same room!!
    Why don't you guys get up from your screens and get outside to your cars and meet with these people.
    As for the money issue the tax payer pays for the lot no matter which way you look at it so instead of bitching about lack of funding or commercial ops,why don't you get out there and do the job of RESCUE which is why these org's all started in the first place.At the end of the day you are all volunteers it's not like your going to lose your house, just do what you LIKE doing and if you don't like it then just go fishing and let the young guys have a go!!!!

MULLEY.

Quote Originally Posted by mulley
    It might just me, but it seems like Lloyd and a couple of other guys are using this site as a political tool to try and work out the troubles of a couple of groups that can't even manage to sit in the same room!!
    Why don't you guys get up from your screens and get outside to your cars and meet with these people.
    As for the money issue the tax payer pays for the lot no matter which way you look at it so instead of bitching about lack of funding or commercial ops,why don't you get out there and do the job of RESCUE which is why these org's all started in the first place.At the end of the day you are all volunteers it's not like your going to lose your house, just do what you LIKE doing and if you don't like it then just go fishing and let the young guys have a go!!!!

MULLEY. #
    You are right Mulley

IT IS JUST YOU
    So pull your head in and get a grip on the real world

As for the money I wish the taxpayer paid for the lot.
    VMR/Coast Guard don't get anywhere near enough money from the "tax Payer" to
    Quote Originally Posted by mulley
    get out there and do the job of RESCUE
    MULLEY.
    Cheers
    Mark

vp3

Mulley I am a volunteer VMR. What you write is absolute crap. I give up my time from my family, fishing or even drinking while on roster to go and maybe rescue a blithering idiot with the inteligance of your self -------give me a break.
    Thanks Bay Firey - - -well said
    Ian

well as bay firey and VP3 said mulley [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]
    i'm not a volunteer however i am a fisherman that fishes out side a bit and one day it may come that i may need these felles to drag me back home
    i also know alot about price of fule and let me tell you the grants these blokes get don't even come close to covering the fule bill let alone equipment training and all the other $$$$'s that go into it so that is why i don't just pay my $25 yearly mebership but pay $50 for my yearly mebership and also give a donation in the name of my business of $200 each year just so i know i can help anyone in need without dangering my life like the volunteers do
    keep up the good work boys and gals [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]