Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maybe catch and release should end

Re: Maybe catch and release should end

Aint it amazing how some things just go in one BIG Circle lol....T'werent too far back we had all the top notch fishin Gooroo's and top guns tellin the masses ta fish fer the passtime n not fer the table??!!..leave that one alone before bumfight starts me is thinking ...
    Yes i can see where blaze or the starter if the thread is comming from and agree that the potential to come under attack by the so called doo-gooders is a possabillity but JUST HOW MUCH of your rights, freedom , pastime or whatever ya want to call it do you give up each time a minority group throws a tantrum ,do you give up???..
    And it dont happen just by a snap o the finger either , tis done cleverly ....
    How ???....Infiltration n conspiracies ..Feck no i aint havin a brainsnap either..
    Ask kc he should have n idea of what i'm talkin about...
    just like opposition members joing the opposing side to change the way of things, these lot may even join up on forums , bring the topic up, run opinion poles etc on the topic etc...
    Who remembers the Port Aurther shooting and some of the previous events to that????, the publicity that went along with it for yonks..AND!! what came out of i??, the change of Gun laws and some revanue as an offshoot..Didnt stop gun toting or killings by those that had intentions to do so but it did bring about the changes to gun laws with the consent of the masses ...
    Hence, no strong opposition to the changes ...
    Same will happen here...
    Personlly i prefer my Children to be out fishing whether it be catch n release or bringin em back home(Prefered ) rather than hangin about in malls making a nuicence of themselves because they no longer have a passtime allowable to them ..
    If a topic is raised often enough , debated to the point of it being Bad, Bad, Bad then the public will see it as bein bad and you can betcha acehole it will be banned or outlawed, make no mistake about it..
    And yes i do believe in Conspiracy theories lol, they are part of a degree or subject if you wish to study ...
    Am i ranting ??? , okay i'll get off me soapbox lol..
    Cheers n leave Fishin alone fer fecks sake, too good of a passtime ta be feckin up..

Hi Volvo
    Not ranting, maybe just telling it how it is.
    Give up all my guns after port arther, wont go that way ever again.
    cheers
    blaze

G'day blaze, i gave up all my Guns and my Bows also but only cause i wanted $$ fer fishing gear for my first boat lol..
    Sometimes i wish i still had my barebows at least but they are another product on the way out or targeted that way ...
    t'least i still have me boat n rods lol, or so far anyway ..

I would have to say that fishing, and catch and release, is very popular here in the Netherlands. Mind you grass carp must always be returned to the water as they are important species for this habitat. And sure you can not live bait in the rivers or oceans, but I see five or more people everyday fishing on my way home from work (8 min bike ride) and they always chuck the fish back. And these are just the little canals. People just bring out the chairs and sometimes the family. On the major canals, when I fished last week, I saw at least thirty different groups. In the Netherlands there is regulations and closures on specific species, and if you catch them by mistake they go back into the water alive. On my second fishing "expedition" I was patrolled like everybody else by the real police in their rubber duck. They checked my two licenses and even checked I wasn't using live bait. Funny guys, they tolerate dope and test your soft drugs for free, but they check to see if you're using a livie!! I wanted to take a pic.

I believe Germany would be the most conservative region taken as an example above, but nonetheless the Elbe river around Hamburg is rather popular as I've observed (mind you who wouldn't want to catch and release near the nuclear power plants!). In some parts it's hard to get a spot on the bank.

There is a big underlying factor in popularity for fishing in the Netherlands, especially by catch and release. Both "Buena Vista fishing" or "Hooked on fishing" and "Rex Hunt" occupy the 9.00 am and 9.30 am and 5.00 and 5.30 pm slots on the Discovery Channel. Twice-a-day Rex and everybody I talk to about fishing here says .......blah blah blah Rex Hunt blah blah Rex blah Rex Rex..... and what does Rex do ... release, release, release

Now as I understand of what is happening in Germany and some other countries to a lesser extent is that fishing as a competition is not allowed whether C&R or catch and kill.

It does make some sense.

Especially when you understand how many of the fishing competitions in Europe work, in some I have seen people winning by catching 5 or so fish maybe 5-10cm long.

Hmmm..

Are we, or those who are against catch and release actually confusing catch and release with tagging?

When I was a member of ANSA (I was a member for approximately 15 years), I also questioned (on a parallel level) tag and release practices, particularly when people were simply tagging large numbers of species that were not threatened, in order to win a trophy.

I know this is definitely NOT the mentality of many, if not most of the members of ANSA who joined under the banner of SPORT, INTEGRITY, CONSERVATION (I think that's the right order).

Those who practice "trophy" tagging on species of low priority and those who simply target one species week after week, year after year do potentially undermine the excellent work of those who started and continue the tagging program (with the support of many government and non-government organizations) and those who seek to experience different sportfishing experiences - thereby developing a better understanding of our precious environments.

I honestly believe that the days of game and sportfishing are numbered, not by our own actions but by those who can created a somewhat "coloured" view of what we do. If you also put a fish on the table now and then, no one can pick a fight with you.

As many have pointed out, catch and release is inevitable. Personally, I feel good about releasing an oversize flathead or undersized barra that has been lipped hooked (barbless) and treated gently - don't we all?

Peter

Peter R

Next weekend I will find out details (competitions) from the Hamburg-Stade-Cuxhaven region in Germany - I am applying for a license(s) there. Both the small neighboring village and larger one further away (~7km) have fishing stores.

Competitions are alive and well in the Netherlands. Again it depends on what freshwater species are being targeted - Pike, pikeperch (Roofvis), Dace etc (Witvis), carp (karpervis). I'm not an expert in competitions but I would believe that you could win if you caught 5 small Dace, but not in pike/pikeperch

I don't believe game and sportfishing are numbered in Australia if you can indeed show that 1) catch and release/tagging works, 2) sustainable practices are in place and the target species are not fully exploited and 3) the species continue to be taken and targeted by professional fishing/harvesters

Hey Dicer

As I said...Even the best science/common sense may not prevail when we are presented with images of gasping fish in the media!

Peter

Its already started ( complete with an image of a crying fish )

http://www.animal-lib.org.au/lists/fish/fish.shtml

This scares me. There are many similarities between fishing and fox hunting and look what happenned to the hunt in England.

I honestly fail to see anything in common between fishing and fox hunting.

Let's be honest.

How many of you think fox hunting (with hounds) is really OK???

Fox hunting with a rifle is of course a different story and that has not been banned.

funny that web site has a link calling for the baning of all pet store sales of live pets
    these type of people are really commies in discuise as they woun't be happy untill every single one of ua was a vegain

Can you imagine a Grinner catch and release comp in 2010

This is an interesting read and I for one certainly hope it never gets off the ground here in Aus where we still have some freedoms.

Lets continue with management of our fisheries as is happening with adjustments made for threatened species as required.

Angla

what would you use for bait in the "Grinner catch and release" comp?

I think they were quite right to ban fox hunting without a rifle. Then again I think a species outside of it's native habitat, like the fox in Australia, could be targeted by more diverse/relaxed methods (but humane methods) of capture and kill.

"would you like to pat my pet grinner" - I don't think a grinner could cry

bigred

maby the term catch and release should be changed to "gather and feed" after all thats what most of us are doing.

Fox hunting is sick.

I'm a distance runner and would like to get a group together to chase those red jacket-wearing bullies. They'd be barefoot and set free 40km west of Townsville.

Bring it on!