Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best fish for Smoking?

chanquetas

Re: Best fish for Smoking?

Good story RJM, thanks for sharing it.

I've smoked mackerel, flathead, trevelly, mullet, Awoonga barra & prawns.
    500ml water, 2 tablespoons salt, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 birds eye chilly. Soak pieces in brine in the fridge for approx 6 hrs. After they are cooked put back in fridge and have cold on a Jatz biscuit with cream cheese and a rum & cola or two.
    Chilly smoked fish.

Adrian

chanquetas

Sounds awesome Adrian. Cheers. The flathead came out ok? I catch plenty of them but have never smoked them yet.

freddyfish

Been smoking fish for a fair while and tried lots of different brines but depending on what you like this one is fantastic.
    (Still love it smoked with nothing added)

Tailor or mullet comes out great colour and flavour. Mackeral good also. Have smoked both together and most people don't taste much difference so if the sea mullet are on you can usually pick up 5 kg's for $10 around the traps. (Capalaba seafood market if you're in Brisvegas)

Enough for about 2 kg's of fillets. Halve if necessary.

Marinate in brine for 24 hrs.

1/2 cup salt
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1 tbls worchesterchire sauce
    3 cloves minced garlic
    1 tbls onion powder
    1/2 tbls paprika
    1 tbls tabasco
    2 tbls lemon juice
    1 tbls black pepper

Smoke until the caramel colour developes and the fillets are cooked through.

Have it on toast with a squeeze of lemon and a beer.

Cheers,
    Brad

Ausfish Silver Member

quote from Tony> crush all the hairy bits off then use the hairy bits as your sawdust.< RIGHT ON Tony, my cooker blew up one day and my hairy bits caught fire,didnt go for the taste to much

I must have been about 6years old when we travelled through a fishing village on the baltic with old wooden fishing huts and smokers. My parents got some smoked flounder and it remains in my memory as the best food I had ever experienced. I'd love to try it again.
    Maybe Sole would work as well?

Whatever fish or method you use, make sure you mix the left overs with mashed potato/garlic/onion/lemonpepper. Mix the lot together and make fish balls. Roll in bread crumbs and fry. Bloody delicious.

Try Tassie salmon cutlets...Marinade a minimum of 4 hours..500ml cold water,1 tablespoon of sea salt,6 tablespoons of brown sugar(make sure salt and sugar are disolved). Pat dry cutlets ,then sprinkle fish with brown sugar just before cooking...I use hickory chips in a Weber. Eat hot or cold.
    Enjoy

Rusco

tshort

I reckon if any fish needs to be smoked it should be crab bait anyway. Neighbour of mine swears by school mackerel as the best out of them all. Kippering as he calls it.

Yeah im with rusco,Tassie atlantic salmon.I dry my portions with paper towel then springle lightly with some salt and then smoke then using fine iron bark sawdust.MMMMM mouth is watering just writing this [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

There is one fish thats a special for the smoker, that is the Baldy Bream, you wouldn't believe a baldy bream could taste so good. I used to throw them back.

Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Guys,
    Try this on muddies,
    Place muddie on his back, on the coals of a camp fire, when the bubbles stop coming out of the joints it's cooked.
    The body will #take longer to cook than the claws.
    This is how the original people of #Australia cooked them.

Notice how much sweeter the flesh is!
    This is my Adobe Oven

the good old dart is one of the best smoked fish i have ever had
    fillet, salt then smoke awesome
    dan

Smoking is bad for your health

English people eat smoked kippers. I remember mum making them for us as kids.
    What type of fish are Kippers?
    They are orange in colour and were served with white sauce.