The Sunshine coast River to Reef fishing comp

This comp goes from November the 4-6
    $50000 in prizes
    I think the price for entry is
    $50 for seniors which includes unlimited entry to boat show
    $20 for juniors under 16
    It's going to be held at Quad park at Kawana

If any one knows more about this please add on
    Thinking about entering myself.... We could have abit of a meet and greet there
    There is afew catagories
    OFFSHORE BEACH AND ESTUARY
    mackeral jew
    cobia tailor
    snapper dart
    sweetlip bream
    parrot whiting
    pearl perch flathead

I want a spot on Foxies boat that weekend......lol
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: The Sunshine coast River to Reef fishing comp

Sounds pretty good Chris, we too need alittle more information but if the weathers looking good for that weekend we'll be there for sure.

Luke

If a rec angler goes fishing with the intention of recieving financial gain, ($50K) how is he different from the shamateur who sells his catch on the black market? Both are using our limited and declining fish stocks for personal gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitlands
    If a rec angler goes fishing with the intention of recieving financial gain, ($50K) how is he different from the shamateur who sells his catch on the black market? Both are using our limited and declining fish stocks for personal gain.

Here we go!!!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

The difference is one makes his money through a mini bus full of fish , and quite possibly the indescriminate killing of hundreds , maybe thousands of smaller fish / endangered fish etc etc , where as the other in a competition base can win the prize money off just one fish .

MAJOR difference ......selective kill vs indiscriminate / overkill

Well said Billo .... plus 50K is the total prize pool NOT 1st prize ... at least that's how I read it!

Thanks for the heads up Spiro. Dave, I'll have the other deckie spot

Herby

it is 50k worth of prizes in total
    it is NOT cash,
    1st prize is a boat and there is heaps of other stuff like rods reels ect aswell

Jitlands----GO AWAY
    That is why i put add on anymore info!!!
    There are a few of us that have commitmants and cannot go to far away fishing comp's. So this one is close and i didn't state money i said PRIZES.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sorta missing my point Spiro.
    I questioned the use of fish stocks for reward be it cash or other goods.

Billos response highlighted the catch quantity and is a good point.

Your perceprtion that I don't have committments that stop me fishing comps is way off the mark. I'll drive the opposite direction to any comp.
    When the flathead classic was on I got up an hour earlier and fished Northern rivers to avoid it despite living 10 min from southport.

I would like to know what you think the competitor numbers would be like if there was no prizes.

What about the value of a comp where all entry fees and prizes where donated to local restocking and landcare groups with the winner recieving a pat on the back? But would you get viable numbers?

Imagine the impact of $50K on Baroon Pocket or Lake Macdonald stocking?

To each his own but I just don't get this fishing comp thing and have concerns how these events are viewed by the non fishing public and what amunition they give the lunatic green fringe, the animal rights movements and the pro's.

Jitlands i think your argument is way off the mark.It is not a comp to see
    who can catch the most fish but about testing your skills against other
    anglers in catching the biggest fish.Who gives a rates about the money or prizes anyway its more about the bragging rights,and the social get
    together.
    Just a reminder but most comps now have a catch and release
    section which keeps impact to a minimum.
    Cheers browndog

Jitlands ...
    I for one would still fish a comp when no prizes were involved ....it is the friendly competition i enjoy !

If you have not fished comp , you probably would not understand the emotions behind a lot of the anglers ( i will not say all as there is always exceptions )

Quite often you find that in a fishing competitive environment , more pressure is put on each other from the top level fisho's down on environmental impact .

Clubs these days are also turning point scoring towards tag and release , where size does not matter and less points awarded for capture and not so highly awarded points for super light tac
    kle ..this puts a lot of the points focused on healthy tag and release situations

Look at it this way

If a competition promotes healthy fishing methods and EDUCATES younger recreational anglers how to fish for a sustainable future ....then why bag it ?

Seriously , the comps of old where the biggets bucket of fish wins are LONG GONE in most parts of Australian comp .

On a side note Spiro , i am out of town that weekend ....will be down at port macquarie for the grandfathers 80th b'day( the old fishing tutour himself ) ...SPEWIN ! missed almost every comp this year...may take a few jew off the breakwall while i am down there #

all the prizes are donated
    and all of the entry fee goes to #RAD recreational association for the disabled
    sounds like a great way to raise money for the kids

also most fish caught are donated to charitable organisation aswell

weather depending i'm in

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

sempre will be there weather permitting
    In response to you jitlands does that mean that you realease all of your catch every trip.sam.....