Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: F111 AT WADDY POINT

Re: F111 AT WADDY POINT

I’ve seen a few F111’s on the water including 4 that flew over us at Saumarez Reef 180nm east of Gladstone. There is a wreck there they use for target practice.

Most memorable was trolling with Qld ANSA stalwart Dave Moore (a few of you probably know) at Somerset Dam. He was sitting up front of my tinny facing backward while I was at the tiller facing forward. I could see a pig descend to be about 100’ above the water and heading straight toward us. Dave had his back to it, and as you know when they’re at speed you don’t hear them until they’re on top of you.
    I was faced with the dilemma do I tell him or not. I had about 2 seconds to think about it but I did relent and told him to turn around and have a look.
    A second later it was over us, awesome to see, and then came the noise!!!!
    Dave looked at me with a grateful look in his eyes and thanked me for the warning.
    I think he may have had a nasty accident or even died had he not seen it coming.
    Cheers
    Geoff

gotwet

see heaps of them here at marcus beach (5km south of noosa).

they hug the shore down low and then pull up over coolum, looks unreal.

also when CHOGM was on up here there were 2x FA18 fighters patroling the air space.
    you may remenber the report that came out some time later about the light plane that strayed into the no go zone and was only seconds away from being shot down.

well i watched the whole thing from my backyard.the most amaising thing ive ever seen.

the first fighter flew beside the light plane and must have been telling it to change course,it just kept going in the same direction. the first fighter peeled off and the other fighter dropped in on top at a speed you wouldnt believe. this is when i knew some thing was going on. as every other plane that strayed over here at the time got the message after being interseped by the first FA18 and changed direction.

the first FA18 went round and high again.
    this guy still didnt get the message, the fighter with the light plane was flying all around it trying the make it change direction.

this is when i think they were close to shooting it down as it was well into the no go zone. the one with it peeled off and the one up high came out of no ware again and must have had it all lined up when the light plane did a sharp right turn away from the no go zone.

i know its not about F111 but its something i will remember for ever.a truly amasing experiance.

cheers mal

Can they go slow enough to do that ? wish I had seen it, would have been awesome. The only thng close to that Ive seen is a Police chopper hovering about 300ft from a house shining a mega spotlight on a suspect armed with an axe in his backyard while a police K9 bought him down, not the same but awesome to watch. The guy screamed like you wouldnt believe, as you do though when a 50+ kg Shepard is going to to town on you. Amazing how slow the K9 handlers get in there to pull the dog off.

Cheers
    James