Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F111 AT WADDY POINT

Re: F111 AT WADDY POINT

this is a news reporter doing a blurb - but becomes buzzed by a spitfire. Be warned some harsh language.

http://www.guzer.com/videos/spitfire_buzz.php

If you fish the Iluka/Yamba area in northern NSW you'll be used to them roaring over head at all hours of the day and night. They practice their bombing runs on the old firing range (now national park) on the coastal strip between Woodburn and Iluka. They often come in threes and if your fishing the beach at night you can follow them by their nav lights as they make their runs and then circle back out to sea.
    Cheers Freeeedom

This picture was taken out the window of our cabin in July03
    Cheers Freeeedom

Last week I was out with a mate, sitting just out from Kauri Crk. 2 F111's came screamin down the Straits in what appeared to be some kind of mock dog fight. If I was a bit quicker # I could have counted the rivets in the fusilage.

Check out the link its got, some stats and general info. #

[ftp]http://www.defence.gov.au/raaf/organisation/technology/aircraft/f111.htm[/ftp]

Cheers
    James

Yeah,

a few days ago we had one fly over at home, obviously the boys are a bit active at the moment .....
    must be preparing for the 'bird flu invasion' #

cheers,
    Tony #
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

In August 2004 we were on top of Indian Head when an F111 buzzed us. Was about 10m above us and very, very close. For a second I was sure one of the tourists up there with us would s$#t themselves and fall off the edge of the cliff. I've been buzzed a few times up there but that was easily the best.

when I was at Hells Gates I grabbed onto what I could

Hey Doug,

We used to refer to F111's as PIG cause they'r nothing but a flying fuel tank that guzzle like pigs.....Awsome aircraft though....

Still remember sitting on a ridge at Diamond Dollar 87 in High Range waiting and then getting the crap scared outta me as a pig came from behind at some phenomenal speed and dumped its load into the valley below.

Can still feel the sun burn and grittly eyes 20 years later......
    May the winds blow lightly upon your sails
    May the seas buffet gently upon your hull
    May your chiller be full of piscatorial delights

adrian

they buzzed us during pactice for river fire at helensvale .they tested tosee if our roof tiles would stay on they but the first time i checked the undies . they made 5 passes each one a little lower great stuff

Bosunmate,

Your right, Pig is the official nick nmae for them (from the Australian point of view).

I spent 8 yrs fixing them, and now I am paying for it. I was one of those that had to crawl in the fuel tanks and reseal them, but that is an other story.

Some of the footage we used to see on our courses showed just how much the pilots like being cowboys. The old Cherry Venture on Rainbow beach was a designated turning point for Mac runs.

The testing area for the aircraft after servicing is the middle of Moreton Bay and the other side of Straddy up to Rockhampton, so it no wonder a lot of people have been spooked, and had close encounters with them.

The standard test flight is to run just over Mark 1 at different altitudes to assess the different settings.

Just some information, that I'm full of.

Harry
    I love the sound of reels screaming in the morning

also saw tham of waddy point a few years back, low & loud amazing
    kleiny

I "usally" live in Newcastle, not far from williams town air base. Whenever driving past they scare the crap out of you when you are not ready for them

Definately an awesome peice of machinery. [smiley=builder.gif] I would hate for one to ever angry at me though I think I would do a little more than s@$t my pants

WOOHOO, I'm an Ausfish Bronze Member now [smiley=iloveyou.gif] [smiley=stupid.gif] [smiley=beatnik.gif]

Sorry, just getting a little excited over here

Had two of them scream through here, gets me going every time. Better than coffee for this time of the day.

Cheers
    James

Darryl

James i live right near Amberly air base and get to see them everyday, and most nights. They still get me going after seeing them night and day after all this time. It makes the old hercules look like it's not moving when they fly in.

Awsome stuff living on the flight path, some nights you absolutely shit yourself when they come screaming over , by the time we all get up to have a look at them they are long gone.

Awsome.