Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: boat ramp rage

Chris_Riethmuller

Re: boat ramp rage

Juicyfruit, maybe just loosen the shackle before backing down, I saw a large haines resting on what was left of the skeg's and holed transom at mackay last year as old mate thought he could rely on his hook only, not very nice for him
    rgds Beefa

mmm...your a mate now Juicy....maybe you need to wear more dresses...
    and i think ya meant unshackled as in...everything off bar the trailer winch??

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by thumps
    mmm...your a mate now Juicy....maybe you need to wear more dresses...
    and i think ya meant unshackled as in...everything off bar the trailer winch??
    If she did, then she's wrong. The winch isn't sufficient. Having a need to brake sharply, as I did when a kid ran behind the trailer, can see the boat jettisoned off the back of the trailer. I've see boats come loose on more than 3 occasions where they only had the winch cable holding 'em.

cheers

kev

forgive me for suggesting what someone else may have...or may not have inferred

i for one...dont know how...you would have to brake sharply on a boat ramp.(speeding?)..unless its to release the boat off the trailer without the winch connected...
    i also dont understand how....you would have a major piece of connecting material...ie a boat winch clip..that would disconnect under the weight of the boat...(bad bad bad idea)

the winch is designed to pull the boat onto the trailer...so therefore MUST be able to handle the weight of the boat....unless you want a cable in the face....i also notice that there are comments on bumping boats off trailers....who's racing up and down ramps????...

Maybe in our haste to get on and off ramps we need to consider the saftey aspects a little more...speed kills...even low speed..be alert to all around...not just what we are doing..and an extra minute of wisely used time will not make someone waiting angry...what will however is that idiot that has to fumble about doing nothing productive.

i also dont understand how....you would have a major piece of connecting material...ie a boat winch clip..that would disconnect under the weight of the boat...(bad bad bad idea)

the winch is designed to pull the boat onto the trailer...so therefore MUST be able to handle the weight of the boat....unless you want a cable in the face....i also notice that there are comments on bumping boats off trailers....who's racing up and down ramps????...
    I think the winch is design to have steady load on it, NOT shock loading generated from breaking while reversing. Shock loading is usually a lot higher than the dead weight of the boat. I would guess the hook would be discounted from the boat but rather snaps off.

fishingnottake

thumps, i think the point kintin is trying to make is more about momentum (it's too early to spell) winch's are meant to hold the boat as a dead weight, but boats are bloody big things, and even if you're only travelling at a crawling space, if the car comes to a sharp stop the boat is going to still want to travel back, and it wouldn;t need the cable to snap, just the anti-reverse tag to let go etc. it might hold 9 times out of ten, but what about that tenth time, and the poor kid squashed under the boat

Quote Originally Posted by Whatever
    [quote author=thumps link=1132829675/15#19 date=1133221137]

braking at what speed???......so therefore MUST be able to handle the weight of the boat....unless you want a cable in the face
    I think the winch is design to have steady load on it, NOT shock loading generated from breaking while reversing. Shock loading is usually a lot higher than the dead weight of the boat. I would guess the hook would be discounted from the boat but rather snaps off.[/quote]

i understand the concept....i am trying to point out the saftey aspect

and we all know ppl race up and down ramps...tell me you havent see it???

ok ok ok

Sorry, perhaps in my anger I didn't articulate very well, big apologise.

The way I see it, and b4 I get to into it, I apologise if I offend

We shackle our boats for travel on the road, so not to lose it in transit.....at high speeds and over bumps and holes in the road..........

On a boat ramp.....there is no need for speed, and rarely have I seen a bump or pothole.......

Now of course with a tinnie, there is hardly any weight in it and a winch is more the sufficient to hold ya load......

Larger boats of course have a larger weight and require extra hold.... ya loosened shackles and winch......

And yes I have seen boats flung off there trailers, and in each case it has been due to speed and recklessness and perhaps a little bit of lack knowledge of the boat/trailer/boat ramp.......

Humbly
    Juicyfruit

oh and I did say 'shackle etc' etc meaning rigging and tying down

*hugs all round*

bidkev

The instinct when confronted with someone/thing suddenly appearing at the rear of a reversing vehicle is to slam the brake down hard/fast. On any weekend at Jacob's Well ramp you will see all and sundry wandering around aimlessly whilst you're attempting to reverse. The speed, although relevant is not the sole reason that a trailer may lose it's load. It's the actual jerking momentum that generates the power to snap cleats/hooks/eyes/cables. We all know how difficult it may seem to snap 12lb line when steadily pulling on it, but by using a jerking motion it is much more easily broken. The same thing happens when the inexperienced set off towing another vehicle with a tow rope that to all intents and purposes is well suited to the job. This is the same principle applied to a suddenly braking vehicle.

On one of those occasions when I saw an old gent with his boat sat high and dry, the eye had pulled clear from the bow of his boat. He hadn't been travelling at speed, but it happened. The point that I'm trying to make is that you simply cannot rely on good fortune where safety is concerned and you certainly can't assume that the unlikely will never happen. If you adopt that attitude then it is highly likely that the unlikely will become the inevitable

Apart from that, I would hazard a guess that it is probably illegal to remove securing chain prior to moving the trailer, although I could be wrong.

cheers

kev

saftey saftey saftey...check your gear...check all your gear

there is no need to jerk anything if you act correctly...act sensibly and have some one guide you down and up a ramp...

and slow down...

the fish cant get out of the water without help

bidkev

saftey saftey saftey...check your gear...check all your gear

there is no need to jerk anything if you act correctly...act sensibly and have some one guide you down and up a ramp...

<snip>
    No solo trips then?

kev

All that aside, I hope the kid didn’t get flattened by the trailer or worst the flying boat coming off.......maybe the next topic should be ‘restraining children at a boat ramp’, or the 'how-to-be-a-responsible-parent'

.....my whole point was I dislike ppl that piss-fart around with their boats, on the boat ramp, with an attitude the size of a 1000kg lit up black marlin, when a lot of tying down etc can be done away from the boat ramp.......

the topic was 'boat ramp rage', this I thought I addressed, not how to drop a boat off a trailer at a boat ramp without killing unsupervised children.....yes I suffer boat ramp rage when it can be avoided by fellow fishermen using common sense and etiquette