Thread: Alright, which joker moved Curtin Reef?

Alright, which joker moved Curtin Reef?

Hi all,

Shot over to Moreton from Nudgee on Saturday, with the plan to check out Curtin Reef. I had a GPS mark that I got from a book I bought in Kmart, and I was also under the impression that the reef is a couple of hundred metres off shore from the land-based marker north of Cowan Cowan, near the mouth of a little creek. Surprisingly, there were no other boats around to give me a clue. Checked the charts also, and I looked about right. I had a bit of a sound around, but couldn't seem to locate it...

Am I close to/in the right spot?

Could some kind soul please provide an accurate GPS mark for the reef, (not a Spot X unless you really want to [smiley=smiley.gif])

Shot down to Tangalooma wrecks (I found these ok [smiley=smiley.gif]), and picked up a couple of trevors (keepers), a big (suspected) long tom and a parrotty-looking wrasse - it was solid enough, but I wasn't sure what it was so they both went back. Shot over to Mud on the way back and caught a heap of undersized squire, with a couple of bustoffs from unidentified big things (probably catfish).

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

caught-ya

Re: Alright, which joker moved Curtin Reef?

gday mike,

I have fished curtain a couple of times now.....
    There are 2 white crosses on poles on the beach that mark it for me, Can also see the dark shapes under the water.

If I had my boat I'd pm you a mark that has been ok for me. Remind me after friday when I should get it back >.
    27.06.600 153.21.750 that should put you in the area for now.
    Cheers, Jay

2iar
    suggest do a search on "curtain" it brings up some great stuff including maps from memory - anyways, also suggest better times are smaller tides on channel side & up current of wrecks with lots of berley - be prepared to quickly drop the anchor on a float & head westwards cause once those big suckers get back into the wrecks - your busted! seems to be a place that is often quiet but can also produce some very big mothers eg cobia, tuna, snaps etc
    good luck - Rip
    Haines Hunter 650 'Horizon' 200 4st Johnson (aka Suk DF200) call sign "Dozer" or "Uripper"

This might help stop getting a few snags

Thanks Guys,

Seems the question shouldn't have been "which joker moved Curtin Reef?" so much as "what idiot had his GPS set to Aus Geod '84 instead of WGS84?".

70-odd km round trip without finding it - I'll take the fifth on what idiot it might have been [smiley=embarassed.gif]

Jay - Cheers mate, that's exactly the mark I had. It seems to be 200m NNE from where I was. I'm happy to provide the mark, but trust me, there's nothing there!

Caught-ya - Only saw one pole, so I'll keep an eye out. Thanks.

uripper - Thanks for the tips, I'm planning on heading over again on Saturday morning, so I'll give it a burl.

Webby - I've got that dive map. It looks the goods and why I was so interested, and couldn't understand why I wasn't picking it up on the sounder. Unfortunately, I didn't have the "how to get there" part [smiley=sad.gif]

Thanks guys, it's my shout.

Good luck,
    Mike

webby ( or any body ), you wouldn't have that map in a PDF so it can be blown up with out much loss of quolity ??

Brian,

Where do you find this valuable info. I think you need to post your favourites sites so we can all see. LOL

Cheers
    Cheers

Steven

That map is missing my anchor and 5meters of shortlink chain # >
    Somewhere amongst the car bodies I presume

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Rat
    That map is missing my anchor and 5meters of shortlink chain # >
    Somewhere amongst the car bodies I presume #
    Yeah! Your anchor should be clearly visible seeing as it's got two of mine attached to it

kev

Bungie if you pm me your email will send a copy.
    Dont no where i got it had it for years
    This might help as the other shot was blurry.
    regards