Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever used Lamb as bait before?

Anyone ever used Lamb as bait before?

Sorry guys if I seem a little naive here, but I have just found my pashion for fishing after finally landing two snappers. I have fished on a number of occasions before but could never catch anything.The baits I was using previously ranged from squid, prawns, and perch (the usual stuff they sell you at bait shops) . After many tinnies and no success with the local bait, I decided to hook parts of raw lamb chops onto my line, and within 30minutes I landed two snappers. I was wondering whether this was a freak occurrence, or are there secret baits such as lamb chops that attract certain fish that most punters wouldn't know about?

Re: Anyone ever used Lamb as bait before?

Hi,

I have caught fish on bacon before. I think the key is that when you buy bait from the shops it is frozen and has probably not really been looked after and frozen and unfrozen several times. Would you eat this?

By putting on lamb strips you are using fresh, quality bait and this will always beat frozen stuff. If you can get fresh prawns, squid, mullet (or other fish flesh) you will find it will make a huge difference if your fishing results.

Hope this helps
    Peter

George,

I rekon they would eat lamb but only with mint jelly

Im gong to take the left over leg ham that ive put in the freezer next to the chicken and use both for burley

Should work after all seagulls do eat chips

Cheers

MIKOS

Sportfish_5

George - This past winter I took a heap of out of date meat out with me on a trip to the barwons to just use as part of a mix for the burley trail. In it there was a packet of crumbed veal in a nice ganged hook size cuts. I thought I would give it a go to see what happened. It seemed to be accepted very well and I got some good size pearlies and the trag hammered it. The crumbs made a great mini burley trail as well and it stayed in tact for a long time on the hook despite the bites/swallows No different to using mack tuna strips I suppose - all red meat

Havent had any old meat since but if I get some more I will give it a go again.

Cheers

Greg

Squire on lamb meat or piece of rump steak now that brings back a memory or two...
    Childhood years bummin a lamb chop or two offa me Mom for startin bait or maybe a palmfull of mince. Ride the pushy along the old Conno road to the oil jetty off the northern breakwall and use said bait to get as many yakkas or slimies as one could and then off to the other side of breakwall using catch for Bream or Tailor..
    Memory loss as to the amount of times ive used the odd piece off lamb cop on a hook sent to the bottom for the odd squire or John Dory quite succesfully.
    Navy days pulling alongside and being on duty which meant no leave but some free time dropping a line over the side to see what was on the chew and only bait one could muster was what the duty cook would part with and that was mostly the odd lamb chop or again a piece of rump..
    Worked quite well fer starters and amazing how many juivenile squire in Garden Island luved lamb n rump ey lol.
    Memories ...

Most red meat works well for bait. Roo meat is also pretty good as you can buy it cheap from pet food stores and if you get a bit with a sinew it stays on the hook for a long time even with little rats picking at it. Lamb is useless as a livie though, specially as a troll bait.

Raw chicken works well for muddies too.

Anyone remember when they used to dump all the food scraps off the end of the jetty at Tangalooma? I think they stopped it about 20 years ago now. All the food scraps from the restaurant would get tossed each night. The fish would go berserk over it. If you chucked a line in with it you would get big bream with guts full of things like potato salad and tomato etc..
    I remember one morning seeing some monster ludwick picking at an old lamb chop.

My Grandad used to use steak for bream. Slices into long strips it looks a lot like a worm. Got me thinking now. I might give it a go.

Cheers for all the replies, looks like I might find my way to the butcher next time I go fishing instead of the local bait shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87
    Most red meat works well for bait. Roo meat is also pretty good as you can buy it cheap from pet food stores and if you get a bit with a sinew it stays on the hook for a long time even with little rats picking at it. Lamb is useless as a livie though, specially as a troll bait.
    If you want to use lamb as live bait you have got to tie some big chunks of koolite around his neck as the big shark hooks and wire cable traces tend to sink em.

I remember 25 odd years ago the local ab divers taking out some fresh, on the hoof lamb chops with a bloody great hook forged out of a car spring, drum and line to help in the capture of a great white. the last they seen of it was the drum heading for the horizon
    cheers
    blaze

red meat works great. ive pulled a few jacks on ox kidney - that's sorta red meat i guess. chicken breast works a treat for breambos too.

cuzza

What next - lamb scented squidgies and deep diving chops?

88fishframe, mate heaps of advantages takin lamb along on a fishing trip ey .
    If ya is Greek you can always fire up a Souvla whilst fishin and if your a Kiwi ??, what can i say??, the advantages are unlimited....
    cough , splutter n outa here...

Reckon some prime young lambs would work a treat to catch Kiwis.

Hehe sorry to Kiwi members but couldn't resist.

Old Kiwi proverb

"It ain't cheating if it's bleating"

OK OK I'm going.