Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $56.99kg for trout, would you pay for it?

$56.99kg for trout, would you pay for it?

Gday all,

As i work in the retail industry i was today looking at what seafood varieties to order for Xmas next week. To my amazement i pooped the question to a fellow manager and asked why you arent gettn trout in as its a local fish up here in NQ. They just pointed at the retail cost of $56.99kg for fillets. Just as well i caught my own trout on the weekend makes my trip more than worthwhile. As much as i rate TROUT NO1 on the table i dont think i would be paying almost 60 bucks a kilo for the fish no matter how good it is! What is everyone elses thoughts?

Shane

Re: $56.99kg for trout, would you pay for it?

Thats hard to fathom Shane, price driven up by the export market!

I woulda chewed through about a 1000 bucks worth this year,,,buurrrrrrppp

Alot of money for what it is but Im sure there are many people overseas (like elton john for example) who would pay it

Hmmmmm.......

Can't say that I would pay $56.99/kg for Coral Trout.

I would pay $56.99 for a couple of 2-3kg trout, 1 dozen Crownies or Boags and some smoked salmon and rice paper.... actually I'd only buy the beer and salmon and catch the trout on Paluma shoals

God I miss living up north....

All I want for Christmas 2007 is a job back in the North

Peter R

At 35 euro a kilo for trout that's a bargain. It's only twice as expensive as the north atlantic salmon here in Holland.

Import me some now I need a fix.

Don't panic, crayfish is on special for $69 / kg.

Based on the above price for trout and crayfish I am ringing my home and contents insurer and getting them to cancel coverage on my 109cm flat screen television and getting them to insure the fish in my freezer.

hate to be the blonde that I am

but why the hell is it so bloody expensive????

are trout smarter are they harder to catch???

Please explain??

At Action supermarket in Mackay this morning fresh trout fillets were $34.99 kg, whole trout $19.99 kg.
    So someone is getting ripped off at $56.99 kg. > > >
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Spoke to the pros this morning they are wholsaling it at the moment live fish for about 29 bucks a kilo. (Saw about 1500 live trout in the holding tanks this morning) The longer you wait the more expensive it will get. He is holding onto these fish for a week because the price is only going to go up. BUy red throat emperor it tastes better anyway.

if you ran a buisness....and everyone wanted your "product" at one specific point in the year...ie xmas and easter...why the hell wouldnt you up the price

ppl will pay it cause they want it.

not for any other reason than that.

if you dont want to buy it at that price....dont...thats the only answer

Supply and demand. The greatest demand for coral trout in our country is during chinese new year. More trout is sold here and overseas during this period than christmas could ever demand.

These trout pros o out in 30 knots when chinese new year is on. Its a shame it is so expensive especially when it is not that great eating. I would rather a fingermark or bluey any day over trout though I have been spoilt.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

al, they're not really that clever or hard to catch. They're a pretty tasty fish though. There's a strong demand for export so maybe that's why they're expensive for the locals.

I've never seen it that dear, but I've never bought it either. Yeah we're spoilt up here

cheers,

steve

wouldnt pay it. no way. theres better. bugger it, buy a muddie instead. fingermark, red throat, mahi mahi. christ for 60 bucks a kilo, it wont to be jumping onto the bbq itself!

All my fish costs about that.
    Well there's what the boat cost.
    Fuel.
    Bait.
    etc. etc. etc.
    When you catch so little, the maths aren't real good

And if was double, I'd still do it

cheers
    Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Derek_Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by peterbo3
    At Action supermarket in Mackay this morning fresh trout fillets were $34.99 kg, whole trout $19.99 kg.
    So someone is getting ripped off at $56.99 kg. > > >
    A lot of trout, believe it or not is imported from Indonesia. I recall Kev Collins saying a while back that he could buy imported trout fillets for his shop for far less than local fish.

Possibly the stuff in Action is not local.

Derek