Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1770's MUD CRAB THIEF & SLASHER

Re: 1770's MUD CRAB THIEF & SLASHER

Hey Agnes Jack
    {Access is via rafting ground road and we beleive that the culprit lives there. He accesses the area mostly on foot, and possibly uses a surf ski at times. This person has been seen several times walking the flats at night armed with a crab spear. }
    This sounds pretty close to the person Tony. As I posted earlier it was right up in this area where we lost ours and there were plenty of footprints around the area.
    We thought by putting them right up tiny creeks they would be safe certainly no other boats could get there.
    We will be back in the new year so we wont let these rats spoil our holidays however I can understand that pressure needs to be applied to rid your area of this type.

wally

Hi Mike,

This is post is goin to turn me into a gold member yehaaaa!

Anyway..... the local cops didn't tell me to go to fisheries, they are fully on my side on this, unfortunatley they don't have the resources to chase this person.

But without saying too much, gave me some very good advice.

They also want to see this person caught.

Tony,

Yes, we will be organizing something in Feb. But you may not be there, if you are we will definately need you.

Watch me change colour!!!!!

cheers Roz

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Needmorerum

Give us a hoy Roz if you are needing more help. If I can get away for it, I will definately help you out.

Cheers
    Corry

so tell us ...does this guy have a computer?

bit late to worry about that now
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

**thats what i was thinking??!?!?!?! if he does, or if he is an ausfish member, or has access to this site,or knows someone who visits this site, i doubt he wil be checking anyone's pots for a while! bit hard to catch someone when they already know a trap might be set!!!!!!!!!
    johnny

We thought about that ages ago, and it was mentioned on this site back in October and nothing changed.

Would like to bet you the farm it won't stop him.

Roz.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by DICER
    so tell us ...does this guy have a computer?

if he does, he probably thinks it's a television that doesn't work properly..;>

Roz,

Glad to help a fellow Ausfisher,some times you can get it right hey.

Congrats on the gold member thingy and good luck catching the perpentrator.

Keep an eye out cause i think im going to be a silver meber very shortly.I think only 10 or so posts to go.

Cheers

Mike

Roz,

Thanks for the pm.

Here it is and have a good day.I thought id use your post as so many people think good things of you.

Yippeeeeee

Cheers

Mike

Hey guyz n gull's,
    some one was worried if this guy has a computer, I say who cares if this topic was all that was needed to stop this guy or at least make him feel uneasy about doing this again then that makes it good for us ,I mean you think some one who knows that their are people out their watching you is going to be willing to keep on doing it, I once had the chance to lift someones pot as I was drift fishing along a river, we came within 4 mtrs of this pot and since we hadn't caught any good sized fish the thought had crossed my mind, even that there was no boats around us I still cound not do it i couldn't even pull the float in. so hope fully this story may have put a holt to this prick.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # Merry Christmas to one and all.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # may your eskies open often.

Cheers Chris
    may you get a bend in your rod and your esky open often

ahjayem

Hi Folks

This is a very interesting topic.

In the early 1970s I taught at a school which was about two hours drive from 1770 over a very rough road, but I used to visit a couple of times a year and always catch a few crabs, mangrove jack, and bream. (and revitalise my skills at body surfing)

We heard on the news during our time in the general area that two fishing inspectors were missing in the 1770 – Colosseum area. A search was launched but they or their bodies were never found. Foul play was suspected. The popular story was that they became crab or shark bait. To my knowledge nothing associated with these fellows has ever turned up.

After reading through all of the posts, I am very much inclined to agree with Agnes Jack, that the perpetrator of the pot attacks is a local who carefully observes motor vehicles parked at the boat ramp, memorising makes, models, boat and vehicle rego numbers, and thus when he is in action, he’s able to distinguish between locals and visitor’s pots. All floats carry the owner’s boat rego number don’t they? He’d be too careful (and smart) to interfere with a local’s pot. He could possibly have an outside connection with a mate or relative who flogs off the crabs at pubs in the Bundy – Gladstone area with the pair splitting the proceeds. As we know crabs can be stored alive (for a few days) in a cool environment – bottom of a fridge in the shed or even an old esky with moist paper, saw dust, or leaves in it.

He is more than likely an accepted member of the community and probably believes he is doing the right thing in discouraging “tourists” / “foreigners from depleting their fishing/crabbing grounds. He probably gives the copper some crabs or fish every now and then.

Finding out (via this chat board or a friend) that people are out to get him and expose his activities would more than likely excite him and not deter him in the least. He will continue his raids, even though he might exercise a little more care in his activities. In time though, he will drift back to his old ways, and will get caught.

If he is a local local and knows about the fishing inspectors’ demise he could well be armed, so I would urge the “posse” to be very careful in their choice of weapons and plan of attack. Infra red photographic equipment from a safe distance would be the safest way to go.

Good hunting and tight lines

RJM

Oh and a very Merry Christmas to all!

Hey Roz

Good to meet u last night at the Brissie M&G last night along with some of the other Ausfish legends.

This post is going longer & harder than that tiger shark u jagged!

As "thumps" pointed out, the answer to most of our problems is in the current legislation - it is my opinion (please seek your own legal advice) that it is quite lawful to place an ID tag on the pot & "fix it to something" - think about it.

Most of us have had the infuriating experience of pots raided/stolen/damaged & while the emotions run high at the time we shouldn't let these a@#$holes diminish our quality of life. #Unfortunately its a growing anti-social phenomenon similar to graffitti, road rage, hooning, rolling blockades, street abuse/bashings etc etc

Sure, try to catch the mongrel but don't let it eat you. #A hard pill to swallow I know - why should I have to modify my behaviour because someone else is doing the wrong thing? - have learnt though experience that sometimes it’s a wiser path to follow.

Good Luck - Rip

PS & thanks for the tackle tips
    Haines Hunter 650 'Horizon' 200 4st Johnson (aka Suk DF200) call sign "Dozer" or "Uripper"

Ahjayem
    He doesn't discriminate between locals and tourist pots mate, he will steal and slash from anyone!!!!

Regards, Tony

ahjayem

G'day Folks,

Tony
    Your point is taken. He must be a ruthless pr**k and very stupid to sh*t in his own nest.

Cheers and tight lines

RJM