Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1770's MUD CRAB THIEF & SLASHER

fishingnottake

Re: 1770's MUD CRAB THIEF & SLASHER

whats a crab bomb?

similar to a IRAQ insurgents dog bomb

Catching some one pulling up your pots is not enough the fisheries actually have to catch them as I have tried this a number of times. Getting your pots robbed is all part of carbbing these days, I have had pots flogged bait boxes cut out even had them robbed and a six pack left inside the pot (was an excellent find as I was only sixteen drank em hot to).

Try dilling or even using those cheep collapsibles and just leave em for an hour ot two and watch em they work really well.

Also I have it on good authority that if you sink your pots all you need tyo do is have your name on the string and that is good enough. Brick 2 metres of cord and over she goes. Try crabbing in less obvious spots out of sight out of mind.

The six pack thing is a classic

At least someone has a sense of humour

Quote Originally Posted by devocean
    Catching some one pulling up your pots is not enough the fisheries actually have to catch them as I have tried this a number of times. Getting your pots robbed is all part of carbbing these days, I have had pots flogged bait boxes cut out even had them robbed and a six pack left inside the pot (was an excellent find as I was only sixteen drank em hot to).
    This is not quite true.

Anybody can go to the police and make a statement, they have the same powers as fisheries, you don't have to go to fisheries for something like this, although its almost essential to have witnesses who are also prepared to make a statement.

As far as "getting your pots robbed is all part of crabbing these days"

Why should I or anyboday else have to put up with this sort of behaviour as being normal or acceptable.

Roz

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

G'day
    Good call roz, What happened to the days when u could leave your gear alone and not worry. Society is really on a downhill slope and we only have ourselfves as a whole to blame. Similar tings happened to me new years '03. Had a brand new put in @ jumpinpin, it set me back $40. It was a nice pot. Next day went down and it was no-where to be found. All i can say is.... expect to worst these days and i think i'll be sinkin mine from now on.
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

I guess the great majority of responsible people wouldn't think about looking in other peoples' pots.

Unfortunately there are a lot around that seem to think that other pots are fair game and these are the ones who have to be discouraged from doing so. Not only do they remove any crabs, but to damage the pots as well is just out and out stupidity. It's pretty crook when it's got to the stage where you have to keep them under surveillance all the time.

If some people started getting pinched, then it might wake some of these no hopers up to them selves.

TOL

No one said life was fair

least we had two ppl prosecuted today here in Mackay

seems some ppl are doing the right thing and dobbing in the theifs

as i said...maybe one man can make a difference

Maybe you should borrow some of Dr Evils sharks... The ones with "Freakin lazer beams on their heads"!!!

G'day Roz
    This problem has been going on for years around here. It's one thing having your crabs stolen, but the slashing and theft of pots SUCKS!!!!!!! I have had quite a few good customers tell me that they will no longer be coming to 1770 on thier holidays because the main reason they came was to catch crabs. Who knows how much our local tourist industry has suffered from these thefts.
    Many many reports have been made to the local police, but it is just not possible, or a high enough priority, for them to stake out the creek. Every time I hear a report I ask them to report it to the police. After 4-5 years of it, the prick is still getting away with it.
    Putting 2+2 together, I can almost give you a name!
    Access is via rafting ground road and we beleive that the culprit lives there. He accesses the area mostly on foot, and possibly uses a surf ski at times. This person has been seen several times walking the flats at night armed with a crab spear. The same person had a pizza delivery one night, and the delivery person noticed a large stack of pots adjacent to the suspects shed. No one has yet seen this fella "actually raiding pots" but that is not suprising as any boats that think they can sneak up to the particular area and lay in ambush, may have to wait a very long time as any motors can be very clearly heard from where the suspect lives! Sitting in the garden having a few beers tells this dude wether or not it is safe to head out that evening. It would appear that low tide is his time normally and that can be at any time of night.
    The most active times are just before and into the holiday periods, which makes me think that this guy thinks the crabs belong to him. He does not discriminate between tourist pots and local pots.

This may require some sneaky tactics to solve the problem Roz, but it can be done if a few people get together and are keen enough.

It's about time this guy got a reality check!!!

Regards, Tony

surf ski eh! Reckon a tinny might be able to create a bit of surf for him?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by roz
    [quote author=devocean link=1133862526/60#62 date=1134256012]Catching some one pulling up your pots is not enough the fisheries actually have to catch them as I have tried this a number of times. Getting your pots robbed is all part of carbbing these days, I have had pots flogged bait boxes cut out even had them robbed and a six pack left inside the pot (was an excellent find as I was only sixteen drank em hot to).
    This is not quite true.

Anybody can go to the police and make a statement, they have the same powers as fisheries, you don't have to go to fisheries for something like this, although its almost essential to have witnesses who are also prepared to make a statement.

As far as "getting your pots robbed is all part of crabbing these days"

Why should I or anyboday else have to put up with #this sort of behaviour as being normal or acceptable.

Roz

[/quote]

Roz,

What pi$$es me off is that the cops wil probable just tell you to go to fisheries because its too much work for them and then you get the big runaround.I rekon video evidence is the only way these days but there is also a good chance that they deifinatly will follow it up if you have witnessed this without the video evidence..

Good luck

Mike

does anyone need a johnny cam??

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
    does anyone need a johnny cam??
    Mate I rekon put a picture of this guy at all of the boat ramps and have a message like we take crab pot theft seriously attached.

Cheers

Mike