Thread: Boat Over on Caloundra Bar

Boat Over on Caloundra Bar

Sunny Coast news has reported a boat over this morning. Didn't catch all the details but I think all are ok ??

markpeta

Re: Boat Over on Caloundra Bar

Not surprised came through there on Sunday arvo very tricky. Got a bit sideways and had to gun it through. We had some nice jet skiers check where the channel was for us not very deep at all. Also the swell was quite large and the tide ripping out. Never done a bar crossing before the only reason I did was the fact I was following an experienced boaty Col_s in wild thing. Wont be in a rush to do it again though.

Hi all cross caloundra bar all the time it is not a good one for learners the sand bars change so quickly and if a northely gets up you get a good swell running don,t attempt to come in on a half tide there is only 1 m of waterv there

Jo

I also cross Caloundra bar regularly and went over on it myself 3 years ago (my own error of judgement) so I can empathise with the latest crew. You certainly don't want to be learning to cross it in any sort of swell. It is quite shallow and you do often need to cope with breaking waves, but as the break zone is fairly narrow, it is not too difficult. Only takes a small error of judgement or a wave to stand up tho for things to go wrong quickly.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

hi all
    the news paper screwed the details up massively on this one. it was my mates boat. 25 foot glass half cabin with 2 people onboard. the motor shit itself right as they were trying to cross the bar. three waves and the boat was flipped. took marine rescue 3hours to save the guys. both are fine just a few minor broken bones and plenty of bruising. the boat on the other hand had the top half ripped off the hull is fine he is now going to convert to a big centre console.

From 5 years back ??

Noosa and Caloundra bars both claiming a few boats at the moment on those big swell days.

After nearly being rolled on the Caloundra bar a few years back when the engine failed I now only go out through the Mooloolah river... I would rather drive the extra k's than tempt fate again
    2008 Signature 520C with the Suzuki 90 4 stroke on the back

I heard from a guy that knows a guy that heard in the pub (you get what I mean?) that some sort of Cat tipped over at Mooloolabah yesterday afternoon, had something to do with the Pilot boat (somehow) anyone know anything at all about that? or is it all p!ss and wind?

If you are referring to the one I think you are Noel, the story has been exaggerated.....

I dont know much about it, my mate lives there and was at the ramp yesterday arvo/night, putting his boat back on, and a guy told him about it, thats all I know, as I said, a mate of a mate that heard, is there at least some truth in it then?

A big boat went way to close to a slow moving smaller boat going way too fast. I have been told the story first hand, but it wasnt me and I wasn't there. Thats if it is the same yarn.... some truth to it I think mate, but exaggerated a bit.

Was a 5m Webster Twinfisher - saw a pic on FB