Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Another boat swamped in the Bay HOW?

Re: Another boat swamed in the Bay HOW?

Because I'm well known to the police at Wynnum, I'll see what I can find out when I'm due to report next Monday.

TOL

Darryl

Guess i will be seeing you there mate.

Expecting a report soon TOL!
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Roz,

The guy who used to be the Senior Sergeant at Wynnum is now the Inspector at the Water Police. I'll see if I can find out what info that couple gave to the Water Police re their capsize while I'm being F'd and P'd. (That's fingerprinted and photographed)

TOL

PS; read your report- excellent- really liked that piccy of you with that spotty. Was looking at the rods you guys were using: could you give me some idea of the length and the class please? Just curious.

Thanks, TOL

Like I said, in a previous post, detailing the previously reported boating accidents ... the new licensing system is a farce. You virtually BUY the licence from the course provider and it's not worth the paper it's printed on as far as I can see. All candidates get is the class work required to pass the theory side of it. People are not given near enough time and personal instruction on practical driving skills on those courses. They're none the wiser about practical boat handling skills, marine hazards, judging weather and sea conditions, boat stablity or any other practical matter that goes to make safe boating.
    It's a wonder we don't have more problems.

GES

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bullock
    Capsized couple battle odds

January 13, 2006

CLINGING to a small plastic fuel tank, a 20-year-old woman swam up to two kilometres pulling her sick boyfriend to safety after their boat capsized in Moreton Bay.

Danielle Pirc made the two-hour swim last night after a gust of wind capsized her boyfriend Stephen Butler's 3.4m fishing boat near Amity Point on North Stradbroke Island, east of Brisbane, where sharks killed Sarah Whiley last Saturday.
    "It was pretty hard, but I just saw Wellington Point getting closer, and I saw the headlights of cars getting closer with every stroke I took. I just wanted to get there, to the lights," she said.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Maybe they had a couple of Bull sharks chasing them, I reckon I could walk on water from Amity to Wello Point if I was about to be lunch for one of those Mothers

Cheers Lloyd

I am the parent of one of those people from the boat that flipped off Wellington Point on Thursday evening.
    Firstly, they were off Wellington Point, not Amity Point. Obviously, some people can’t read the papers correctly.
    It seems to me there are a lot of self-proclaimed "experts" out there who would be flat out telling their bow from their stern. There is always a heap of wisdom after the fact, but as always a lack of brain leads to all sorts of speculation.
    Secondly, the reason they flipped was not because they were “large”. The guy is on heaps of medication for leukemia, which has caused him to put on weight, and the young lady is a size 12, that is hardly “large”. The boat flipped because of a hull issue.
    Thirdly, I have fished at nighttime all my life (52 years) and this young man is no slouch at night fishing or boating. He has been boating for many years and has covered Moreton Bay from one end to the other, quite often with me as well. To all you “experts” out there, I’d love to see how you would perform in the situation such as it was. I am not prepared to elaborate due to possible legal technicalities. But, how else could you flip a boat in reasonably calm conditions at a moderate speed during a turn? They don't just normally flip upside down when turning.
    They could not stay with the boat, some boats had already passed them and failed to see or hear them screaming out for help. Again, the young man was too weak from being knocked around to continue to hold on to the boat, which appeared to be sinking further. They used the fuel tank for flotation and managed to reach the shore successfully. The young lady put in a two-hour effort to get them both to shore. A damn strong effort in my opinion.
    So to all you critics, I hope you are never in that position. But if you do manage to find yourself there, just how perfect will your analysis of the situation be? Especially when others have passed you by.
    If all you critics are so bloody great, why don’t you volunteer your expertise to the Coastguard?

G'day Kazza,

Welcome to the site..

Good on you for enlightening us on this, as you can tell,
    most of us have an interest in marine incidences,what
    causes them, and ultimately, how to avoid them happening
    again in the future.

Too little info (and mis-information) can get the imagination
    spinning out of control amongst our more less-experienced
    members...

Please extend best wishes and a speedy recovery to Dannielle
    and Stephen and, please, if you could keep us updated with
    the other issues that you can't comment on at the present.

Regards, #Harry...

Derek_Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by kazza01
    Secondly, the reason they flipped was not because they were “large”. The guy is on heaps of medication for leukemia, which has caused him to put on weight, and the young lady is a size 12, that is hardly “large”. The boat flipped because of a hull issue.
    Hi Kazza

Would you care to elaborate on that. Ialways thought that the bluefin was a pretty good hull and would be interested further.

Thanks.

Derek

bidkev

Hi Kazaa.

My apologoies if the use of the word "large" was misguided or sounded in any way derogatory. That was not my intent. I was merely wondering (out loud) how the boat was "flipped". The report that I heard had implied that the boat was at rest when it overturned and as the sea was flat, I was merely musing as to how that could have happened.

All fishos have a keen interest in misadventures at sea and it is only natural that their curiosity would be aroused and that they would attempt to draw conclusions as to how events happened and panned out.

The real villain of the piece in this, is yet again, mis-reporting, deliberate dramatisation by the media, and to some extent, the public attempting to draw their own conclusions based on that mis-information. With regard to the latter, as that is the *only* information at hand (unless they know the victims personally), then that is the only tool that they have to help them better understand what happened and how to avoid it themselves. If that tool is flawed, then flawed conclucions arise. Regrettable, sometimes harmful, but understandable IMHO.

Once again, my apologies if I caused offence and please convey my best wishes to Danielle and Stephen for a speedy recovery.

kev

Sportfish_5

At least they didnt leave the bungs out Kev

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Sportfish_5
    At least they didnt leave the bungs out Kev # #
    I know, terrible ain't it! That deckie should really get her act together Us skippers shouldn't have to be concerned with menial tasks such as checking bungs. Might get me white deck shoes scuffed, crawling about at the back (sorry, stern) of the boat

kev

welcome kazza...some of us have also spent many years on the water and I sitll cannot understand how ANY hull will flip of it own accord.
    We have your version and the medias version and somewhere in between is the truth whatever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza01

The boat flipped because of a hull issue.

I am not prepared to elaborate due to possible legal technicalities. But, how else could you flip a boat in reasonably calm conditions at a moderate speed during a turn? They don't just normally flip upside down when turning.
    -------------

Good luck with the law suit, but I dont like your chances.

I find it difficult to believe a dingy would flip on a turn in calm water without someone doing something stupid.