Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking squid on the BBQ

Cooking squid on the BBQ

I am able to cook just about anything on the bbq, but really dont have much of an idea with the squid.

Sometimes they turn out great other times not so good.

All times the squid has been marinated, the plate is med-hot, and instead of cutting them into rings they are cut into squares and scored.

I have heard not to long, I have heard cook them really well.

How do you cook them so they are tender???

Re: Cooking squid on the BBQ

I do not marinate them.
    When cleaning remove the outer membrane (the dark coloured one).
    Cut into larger size pieces (or whole).
    Ligtly brush with oil.

Put on medium heat.
    After 1 minute turn over,
    Than sprinkle mix of salt, chili powder and ground cumin on the top side.
    After 1 minute turn again sprinkle as above.
    Turn over every minute.

Total cooking time maybe 5-6 minutes depending on heat.

Much better on charcoal BBQ, and mesh (not plate)

To get nice tender squid it helps to soak them in milk overnight.

I tend to cook until the flesh has just turned white and no more. It is also good to score the flesh in a criss-cross pattern, as it stope the muscle fibres from tightening so much (similar to the char-grill scores on a steak).

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_N.
    To get nice tender squid it helps to soak them in milk overnight.

I tend to cook until the flesh has just turned white and no more. It is also good to score the flesh in a criss-cross pattern, as it stope the muscle fibres from tightening so much (similar to the char-grill scores on a steak).
    you know what's going on
    soaking them in milk works a treat

Dont forget to use really good sea salt. I cant believe the amount of people in this world who use that saxa processed sh*t salt. It needs to taste like the sea! Maldon Sea Salt is the best I reckon.

Waste of good barbacue space, wreck a good piece of squid, n what else can i say lol..
    Try cuttin in pieces, braising or browning some onions n garlic in a pot along with some good old Olive Oil , chuck in you squid and braise brown also, Tomato paste n cook slowly..Shyte fergot to mention the wine!!!...
    Red wine after the braise brown also ..
    Other ways to do squid also but my favourite recipe this one..

Hot hot plate. fresh good quality olive oil + a good dob of butter, thin squid rings, good salt, fresh cracked black pepper, thin slivers of garlic, lime or lemon juice to finish.

chuck them on the plate keep them turning #till they are just cooked (some bits will burn or brown the rest will be white) Squeeze lime lemon over and serve.

Green salad, fresh white bread and a crisp white wine or good beer.

Dam I hate you fisheaters >

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who have to put a whole heap of other ingredients with seafood. Why for Christ's sake? Why would you want to disguise the taste of squid with garlic etc etc. Isn't doing that with steak enough? I have heard people say the same thing with muddies. Some garlic, chillies, onions and blah blah blah.
    Enjoy the taste of the stuff cooked on it's own! You won't be disappointed.

Just my thoughts

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Nauti
    It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who have to put a whole heap of other ingredients with seafood. Why for Christ's sake? Why would you want to disguise the taste of squid with garlic etc etc. Isn't doing that with steak enough? I have heard people say the same thing with muddies. Some garlic, chillies, onions and blah blah blah.
    Enjoy the taste of the stuff cooked on it's own! You won't be disappointed.

Just my thoughts

Dave

It's called garnish! it improves the flavor without covering it over!
    Most cooking involves mixing ingredients to make a meal.

This has already been mentioned, but the milk thing really does work.

I think the key is hot and fast. Don't get too carried away with extra flavours.

Keep it simple.

Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

If you recon milk tenderises squid (which it does...the lactos), try blending a kiwifruit and marinating squid in that. Do it overnight (when you want to waste some) and you end up with squid paste. 1 hour, kiwi fruit, rinse, bit of lemon and olive oil, hot BBQ, 2 minutes tops...sensational. As for Maldon Sea Salt....fancy a country like Australia, with a salinity problem, importing salt from the UK!! Trouble is, it actually does taste better & I am ashamed to say I am guilty of using it at work by the carton.

KC

Dave its not disguising flavours it bringing more flavours out to be enjoyed..
    Like chuckin a steak on the barby minus the salt pepper ec etc ..
    If yer hungry and cant be bothered muckin around i gues theres no prob.
    Cheers

Haven't tried BBQ squid at home yet. I usually cut mine into small strips and put them in the vegetable steamer for 5 mins. Great as nibblies. I am one of those people who like it plain and simple without too many other flavours intruding into the taste of what I am eating.

DO NOT try cooking squid in the microwave. All the little capillaries in the flesh explode and make a hell of a sticky mess all over the walls of the microwave.

Over in Asia they eat a lot of dried squid. They put them through this little hand cranked tenderizer which has a couple of rollers with small blades attached, then they BBQ them over charcoal. Not as tasty as steamed though IMO.

Roz called it...hot and fast! otherwise you end up with rubber...just like prawns, abalone and scallops on the Barbie, it needs to be juuuusssst cooked... about a minutish each side...agree with scoring the flesh, and agree not to kill it with other flavours...a hint if you must...but sounds like some nice recipies out there...and I reckon i might give the milk idea a go next time

cheers

rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Fully recommend soaking squid in milk overnight....as mentioned by several on here before me.....this method also works well on lambs fry, making it very tender and not such strong flavoured offal (not that I’ve eaten lambs fry in many years).

Juicy