Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on fine

thoughts on fine

hi all
    i think i heard on the news today that the man who's boat boat got swamped off margate at xmas with the kids in it was fined $3,000 DOLLARS IN COURT TODAY DO NOT THINK IT WAS 300 JUST CAUGHT THE TAIL END OF THE BROADCAST. A BIT STEEP IN MY VIEW BEING MADE AN EXAMPLE OF YES OK FINE THE MAN BUT IF I HEARD RIGHT THATS A BIT STEEP, AND I HAVE READ ALL THE PREVIOUS THREADS AND VIEWS VARY BUT THERE HAS TO SOME BENIFIT OF DOUBT GIVEN BUT I SUPPOSE WE STILL HAVE NOT HEARD ALL THE FACTS

Re: thoughts on fine

mate wish i could buy shares $3000 every time a boatie does an idiot thing beattie cant believe his luck hellow hes found the source for his hospital finances

I won't comment on the amount of the fine because I don't know what it was, however this guy did have two little kids out in the bay in very ordinary weather in an undersized open tinne compared to the conditions, with the wrong safety equipment.

The kids were wearing incorrect life jackets, which wouldn't keep an unconcious persons head out of the water in an incident. Yes, the weather did turn on him, but one always has to be properly prepared and in the right type of boat for conditions that may blow up.

But lets not slag off at the bloke, I'm sure he was doing what he thought was ok - everyone makes mistakes and I'll bet he won't do it again.

Instead how about we all just learn from his mistakes and make sure that we always promote safe boating in respect to potential weather conditions, and the carrying of proper safety equipment by all boaties.

what price recklessness?? probably cost the taxpayer more than that for the rescue,not counting court and admin costs.yeh i didn`t think he`d get that but hell i`m not a magistrate and didn`t get the full details,only what i read and we all know the media.lets hope it makes people think..cheers.

now that the matter is over in court , i think now might be a good time to let this go. sure the guy made some mistakes that could have cost a life but him and his kids are alive and thats all that matters , besides between the fine and the chewing he would have got from the kids mother i think he has been punished enough. you can be sure he will have the right gear next time.

just my opinion

cheers
    jason
    ... i only work to support my fishing addiction.....

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue

The kids were wearing incorrect life jackets, which wouldn't keep an unconcious persons head out of the water in an incident.
    According to Govt charts you dont need PFD1's in Moreton bay, its all classed as either smooth or partially smooth waters, so PFD2's are fine. Maybe he had them in adult jackets.

This is where you go from the mandatory minimum requirements to general safety obligations.

And he also had them in PFD 3's from memory, and that is why he got charged.

Even still, think to yourself if your kid 3 or 4 year old kids would have much of a chance of survival being tossed around in 2 metre seas without a PFD1. There are some very good PFD 1's available for kids, so they should be used as standard equipment.

Possibly, but PFD1's are pretty uncomfortable for kids to wear, so getting them to keep them on is generally hard. (although in the rough weather they experienced I dont think that would be an issue).

What it does mean is that the next person whom gets in trouble, and does not have the right safety gear on board is going to seriously think twice before calling for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral
    Possibly, but PFD1's are pretty uncomfortable for kids to wear, so getting them to keep them on is generally hard. #(although in the rough weather they experienced I dont think that would be an issue).

What it does mean is that the next person whom gets in trouble, and does not have the right safety gear on board is going to seriously think twice before calling for help.
    i disagree with that
    sure the brick types are uncomftable but you can get some really good ones that more hun the child and are not that bulky so they can still fish in them
    i'm sure the father if he was like any one of us could care less about the fine or how much it cost the tax payer
    all he would be doing is belting himself up on the inside for putting his kids through it
    no dout he would give his own life for it never to happen to them again i know i would

now to everyone out there with kids
    make sure you have the best gear you can get for their safty

Well I certainly agree with that!

Derek_Bullock

Looks like a guilty plea to the charge. #Now thats interesting considering his original statements when he was first charged.

Derek

Last Update: Tuesday, January 31, 2006. 9:00pm (AEDT)

Man berated for taking sons out in rough seas

A Redcliffe magistrate has berated a man for taking his two young sons into treacherous conditions on Moreton Bay in south-east Queensland.

Scarborough man Troy Winchester, 32, was forced to call for help last month after his 4.2 metre runabout ran into difficulties in 2-metre seas and winds reaching up to 28 knots.

He was on a return journey from a camping trip to Moreton Island and his five and two-year-old sons were on board.

Winchester today pleaded guilty in the Redcliffe Magistrates Court to the unsafe operation of a vessel.

Magistrate Ross Woodford fined Winchester $3,000, telling him that he should have known the dangers of Moreton Bay, given his seven years experience working on prawn trawlers.

Mr Woodford said Winchester's actions were stupid and dangerous.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Quote Originally Posted by Feral

Possibly, but PFD1's are pretty uncomfortable for kids to wear, so getting them to keep them on is generally hard.
    #
    add that to the list of [s]ineffective[/s], no, lazy parenting quotes.
    "Kids these days don't have manners"
    "My kids won't eat fruit & veges"
    "My kids won't wear a hat & sunscreen"
    etc

ya kids will as habit if you make it a habit.
    & tell them the number one rule of boats - what the skipper says happens without question.

The impression I got of the guy from the news was someone who genuinely loved his kids but acted with reckless abandon because that was how he had lived - his quote was something along the lines of making them a sea-man.
    We all make poor errors of judgement hopefully he realises he went beyond that & learns from it.

chris

here we go again

serves him right >

3k...isnt enough IMO >

should have had his licence taken too >

and the uniform wearing of PFD's should be considered in QLD...as in other states >

enough of this confusion over smooth and partially smooth waters >

the mans an idiot and others like him...and those that dont spend a few bucks to put their children(at least) in proper jackets need a swift reminder of the value of life

lets hope this bloke has saved a few lives by being punished..and by being made an example of

Darryl

Well this means everyone who has not got the proper life jackets should be fined 3 grand. Whats good for one is good for all.

bidkev

My thoughts on it (as if you're interested)

The life jackets per se, wasn't the issue. He was fined for unsafe operation of a vessel. The magistrates would have taken into account the fact that he was an experienced deckhand and as such, should know better than most, the risks that he was taken, so hence the stiffer penalty than would otherwise been handed down.

One thing that puzzles me though is that a few reports have had him setting off in calm water? Visualising the storm the previous night and the wind that was on my face the following morning, I find this hard to reconcile with what *I* would have envisaged the sea to be like that morning? The police actually said that he should never have set off, and this was based *purely* on the sea state, not the life jacket issue.

kev

A relationship is like sand in your hand. If held loosely in the palm of your hand it stays there, but as soon as you close your hand tightly it slips through your fingers.