Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on fine

Re: thoughts on fine

ABC news QLD

Deaths trigger call for mandatory life jacket use
    Thursday, 24 November 2005. 13:47 (AEDT)Thursday, 24 November 2005. 12:47 (ACST)Thursday, 24 November 2005. 12:47 (AEST)Thursday, 24 November 2005. 13:47 (ACDT)Thursday, 24 November 2005. 10:47 (AWST)

A dinghy accident at Sarina that claimed the lives of a father and his daughter has prompted the Australasian College for Emergency Physicians to call for life jackets to be made compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by thumps

Gazza...my most humble apologises to you....i can only learn from your greatness..and hope to change my ways to see the real world as you so eloquently put things.
    Accepted ,and just remember a good cop ,if out of his depth, backs off ,and calls for backup!!

Enjoy your fishing mate.
    Regards
    Gazza

" Boy falls off bike ,run over by car"

Let's bring-in rollcages for bicycles.....
    how far do you go....??....?? [smiley=curtain.gif]

ABC news QLD

Thursday, 24 November 2005. 13:47 (AEDT)Thursday, 24 November 2005. 12:47 (ACST)Thursday, 24 November 2005. 12:47 (AEST)Thursday, 24 November 2005. 13:47 (ACDT)Thursday, 24 November 2005. 10:47 (AWST)

A dinghy accident at Sarina that claimed the lives of a father and his daughter has prompted the Australasian College for Emergency Physicians to call for life jackets to be made compulsory.
    what is the relevance of this? What would the Australasian College of Emergency Physicians know about boating safety?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Kingtin

am i correct in this definition?

"TROLL"
    There are individuals who visit chat rooms and deliberately post derogatory or inflammatory comments in order to bait others into responding. In chat room parlance, these individuals are called trolls.

bidkev

Kingtin

am i correct in this definition?

"TROLL"
    There are individuals who visit chat rooms and deliberately post derogatory or inflammatory comments in order to bait others into responding. In chat room parlance, these individuals are called trolls.
    It's a simplistic one, but yes. IMHO, Trolls normally "cast a wide net" though, and try to ensnare as many folk as possible. They are invariably intelligent enough to put their agenda without stooping to bringing things down to a personal level, so I don't think anyone is trolling here

I'd let it go mate, If I was you. We've been harping on a bit now. Remember the last time two blokes did that? Turned out alright though, eh?

kev

I don't believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

These days recreational boaters are proud of their safety gear, they show off their safety gear as part of their boat and they see it as an essential part of their recreational boating experience."
    He said such a culture was vital in a state that had seen a rapid rise of boat ownership and more people on the water.
    Exactly - "since mandatory introduction of helmets, racing harnesses, and rollcages in ALL vehicles, he said that deaths and serious injuries have reduced significantly"

Wrap us in more cotton wool please. try and introduce rollcages, 3 point harnesses, etc - you'd have an uprising "comfort, looks, expense, etc". I see wearing Lifejackets at all times the same way. Might be okay in tasmania for extra warmth, but apart from the general discomfort of wearing one, I'd love to think how friggin hot it would be in QLD, NT, WA, NSW. In North Queensland we'd have more people dying of heat exhaustion.

Of course it would. "Broken arm triggers call for ban on Rudgy League from Australasian College of people against loading the medical system up anymore until we can import more overseas health practioners and supply & demand ratios are better, but all dangerous sports need to be re-introduced at this point because demand needs to outstrip supply slightly because we're all enjoying our new found financial success and I really like the idea of a nice 42ft Black Watch"

More petrol-bowsers at Moreton Is.
    Rangers to carry petrol supplies

finga64

I have been reading this debate and had some laughs, some deep thoughts, had some opinions but I have kept quite (mainly for the 'cooks' sake)
    But crikey, who does this guy think he is??

Quote Originally Posted by Feral
    [quote author=CHRIS_aka_GWH link=1138699525/0#11 date=1138739634][quote author=Feral link=1138699525/0#7 date=1138711734]

Possibly, but PFD1's are pretty uncomfortable for kids to wear, so getting them to keep them on is generally hard.
    add that to the list of [s]ineffective[/s], no, lazy parenting quotes.

[/quote]

I take offence at that.

I see no reason to make a kid uncomfortable when it is not required. If PFD1's are not required, there is no need to wear them.

Boating is supposed to be a fun thing for the kids, one of the reasons I did not go fishing for 10 or 15 years after I left home was the attitude my old man had to kids in the boat, he was very much from the old Kids should be seen and not heard, you shall obey my every rule while in my boat school, and fishing with him was nothing short of #painful, certainly never enjoyable.

If you force a kid to wear a jacket they find to be uncomfortable, all that will result is a kid that does not want to go fishing, or a kid that tries to slip out of the jacket when ever you are not looking or are busy, which is often the exact time you need the kid securely in the jacket.

The reason there are 3 grades of Jackets, is because each grade of jacket is suitable for the conditions it is rated for. I have nothing against being "safer than required", but only when it does not reduce the enjoyment of the activity you are there for in the first place. I consider it my duty to encourage my kids to enjoy the sport of fishing, not turn them off it. #

[/quote]

Mate, I hated to wear undies when I was a kid but my parents made me. THANK GOD THEY DID.
    When compulsory wearing of seat belts came in I hated them. My parents made all us kids wear one. THANK GOD THEY DID.
    Many kids probably hate wearing helmets but we make them. Kids hate homework, but we make them do it. Some examples may be in legislation, some may not. Doesn't really matter does it if THE REQUIREMENT IS LAW OR NOT, if it can protect and give benefit to your child???
    The examples go on and on. Every kid that gets in my boat bungs on a jacket. If they don't they know they stay home. Simple.
    I do relax this simple rule when the child is old enough and mature enough the be able to fend for themselves a bit. But any kids from 2-7 that's the rules.
    Get them used to wearing a jacket. Bit late floating around the ocean and your kid says "I don't like this dad, it's uncomfortable"
    If you force a kid to wear a jacket they find to be uncomfortable, all that will result is a kid that does not want to go fishing, or a kid that tries to slip out of the jacket when ever you are not looking or are busy, which is often the exact time you need the kid securely in the jacket.
    This bit really doesn't make sense. If you have to look to see if your child has their jacket on and try to think 'where did he/she put it' then my friend it maybe too late to be of any benefit to them. The skipper MUST feel confident in the fact that the people on board under the skippers care are indeed as safe as possible at all times and know what to do if and whenever something adverse happens. Things can happen quick in a boat. Putting jackets on kids may just not be as quick as it seems, let alone finding and putting your own jacket on.

Damn, some people just don't realise what they have in their kids. Others would give anything to be able to be called a parent..
    Sorry fella's but this really strikes a nerve with me.

Bet this guy also parks illegally just so his kids don't have to walk an extra 150m to school. Same mentality.

If you force a kid to wear a jacket they find to be uncomfortable
    Mate ,i have the sit-on type *oops* but legal.....& handy
    As skipper, i would only expect them to wear if i deem 'necessary' ,i would NOT recommend continuously ,as if your shit scared, wear them in the bath for all i care ,and some will

To "the" Kens and Barbies ,with designer clothes kids....GOOD ONYA

I'll have enough petrol(i think?) and legal sit-on PFDs (i know) ,but if i get in the sh1t....i'll ask how much ,and do you give discounts for Ausfish members......dinkum

CHRIS_aka_GWH

so it seems Gazza now at least agrees with the legislation. The duty of care lies with the ships master to prevent [s]sh!t happening [/s] err... an incident ....

Have U failed in a "duty of care" ....of course you haven't #
    Mate ,you guys do an excellent job ,but unfortunately it's to get people out of the sh!t ,not to prevent sh!t happening.

As skipper, i would only expect them to wear if i deem 'necessary' ,i would NOT recommend continuously ,as if your sh!t scared, wear them in the bath for all i care #,and some will #...
    he just confuses sh!t scared with prepared.

Be prepared & have the little guys prepared that should you NOT be in the boat with them, then they have the best chance of survival. That's not scared, that's responsible - like having them sit in the back seat of a car, cooking with a little iodized salt. Give them their best chance until their shift is their own.

As a parent & the ships master you are the custodian of their wellbeing not the owner of it.

Quote Originally Posted by lunar_c
    By participating in this thread, I was hoping that collectively we could work up a rational analysis of the events of that day.

Subzero -
    Do you know for a fact that the children were wearing adult size PFD's?
    Do you have better information than us as to his location when he received assistance?
    If you know that there were no flares - are you aware of any other safety items not present?
    Do you recommend that hot flares be dropped in the bottom of the boat after use?
    If he was communicating via SMS, how did you conclude that he was lost?
    Why are Coastal and SOLAS PFD's available in only one size?

You state "he broke practicly every rule in the book"
    For the benefit of myself and anyone else who wants to review their safety preparedness and decision making in light of this conviction - could you be more specific?
    You also use the phrase "ill fitting" and "appropriate size".
    Do you have a workable definition?

Thanks

Ben
    If I was subzero I would not respond to that..I would not leave myself open if anything does go awry. It is the boat operator's obligation to ensure they are fully aware of all safety requirements, weather, tide etc etc etc...this may or may not be a legal obligation but it sure as hell is a moral one for the safety of himself/herself and all others on board.

As for the wearing of a lifejacket...my 4 year old grandson MUST have his PFD1 on before I move the boat...my rule..no one elses but one I adhere to.

A lot of conjecture here on what he had/ did not have, what he did/ did not do...the only real way of knowing the basis he was fined on is to read the court transcript..what the prosecution stated to the court..without that we are only guessing.

ABC news QLD

of what this bloke did or didn't do as with all these cases we just don't know all the facts but onto this

i'm with thumps here ( gunna hails tonight ) not law in nsw yet however i will be when i can afford to buy a few of the stormy sea self inflating vests however the ones you can deflate and reinflate via a mouth peice (that way if your knocked out you may be lucky, if your traped under the hull you deflate to swim out and reinflate so you may be lucky)
    best things with these are they are slim lined and can be worn all day long without getting too hot with them or them getting in the way

i'm starting to think that haveing something like this on whist on a boat all the time is a good thing as with may of these incedents have shown us when this go wrong they go wrong very quickly and no matter how prepared we are we just don't have the time

interesting topic
    but i think you might find this interesting with your mention of NSW

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/useequip.html

Lifejackets

Approved lifejackets, must be carried on board every vessel unless exempt. Lifejackets are the most important piece of safety equipment on any vessel and must be in a good condition and accessible. Penalties will be imposed on the owners and masters of vessels found not carrying them or occupants not wearing them as required.

Lifejackets are compulsory to wear when crossing coastal bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Panasonic
    interesting topic
    but i think you might find this interesting with your mention of NSW

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/useequip.html

Lifejackets

Approved lifejackets, must be carried on board every vessel unless exempt. Lifejackets are the most important piece of safety equipment on any vessel and must be in a good condition and accessible. Penalties will be imposed on the owners and masters of vessels found not carrying them or occupants not wearing them as required.

Lifejackets are compulsory to wear when crossing coastal bars.
    was awear of all that however only compulsory when crossing a coastal bar
    what we are talking about in wearing at all times of movement to the extent of all the time while on the water

even with a lifejacket in a accessable spot do you think you could grab one if all of a sudden you was fliped over or a steering link broke and you found yourself parting with the boat?