Thread: Bundy bobs up safe

Bundy bobs up safe

Good news story from today's Melb Herald Sun.

Bundy bobs up safe

By MATTHEW SCHULZ
    05feb06

BUNDY the Jack Russell is possibly Melbourne's luckiest dog after being plucked dogpaddling 3km offshore in the middle of Port Phillip Bay.

Owner Jack Skrzelinski said it appeared his best friend leapt from his 4.2m fishing boat about 11am, but he did not notice until a rendezvous with other mates about 11.15am.

"We saw a few birds and penguins out there afterwards, so I reckon he might have made a bolt for them," the Avondale Heights truckie said.

"Or maybe it was a catfish or something," he said.

"I definitely thought we'd lost him," fellow crew member Sandro De Luca said.

The plucky dog paddled in rough 1.5m seas for up to 45 minutes, while a police water search-and-rescue crew hunted for him.

But it was a group of international pleasure seekers who rescued Bundy and carried him back to the St Kilda Marina.

New Zealand-born Graham Vanderwater had guests from France, Holland, South Africa and Australia in his powerboat and was tailing the ABN Amro 1 ocean racer visiting Melbourne, when one noticed a strange object bobbing in the water.

"I thought it was a seal or maybe a shark," said Clive Andenorff, of South Africa.

"But when we stopped it was a dog that swam towards us, and we picked him up and wrapped him in a towel."

"He was pretty tired. He looked like Ian Thorpe after the 800m."

The international rescue party called police for a lively rendezvous with Bundy's owner at a St Kilda cafe.

Mr Skrzelinski said Bundy was named after the dog's favourite rum. He expected to reward his pet with a little of the precious fluid on his return home.

He sure is one lucky dog not have become shark fodder out there IMHO!

brett_rokesky

Re:  Bundy bobs up safe

I use to take my old mate Chopper (labby X staffy) but each time i got onto something he use to get excited and jump in after it.

I got sick of trying to rescue him every 1/2 an hour.

NeilD

How do you miss a dog in a 4.2m boat

Quote Originally Posted by Horse
    Good point! It certainly makes you wonder how observant the owner is!

Whose idea was it to put an "S" in the word "lisp"?

DNO40

maybe he ......... No you couldn't miss him in 4.2 surely.

DNO

Bundy........Bundy.........where are you boy........Bundy

bidkev

Re: #Bundy bobs up safe

Yeah, they're a pretty easy target, especially with a treble

kev

Materialism is buying things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter

What a great little dog!!!!! Pretty sure I wouldn't last that long.........

Muzz

Holy shite I just reread the article and noticed this bit...

Which means there were two drongos on that small boat and they still didn't notice the dog was missing! The other point being about the catfish as I have never encounted a catfish in the bay.

“Since light travels faster than sound is that why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?”

The_Walrus

Maybe too much of the dog's name sake in the anglers.

Still a happy ending and a damn lucky dog.

I tink if I had a 4 legged mate and took it fishing, I'd be using a restrain like on the back of utes.

Luc

Quote Originally Posted by Hoges
    [quote author=Horse link=1139090026/0#2 date=1139090552]How do you miss a dog in a 4.2m boat

Which means there were two drongos on that small boat and they still didn't notice the dog was missing! The other point being about the catfish as I have never encounted a catfish in the bay.

“Since light travels faster than sound is that why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?”
    [/quote]

I think it might have been a joke Hoges, albeit a very poor one - you know, like dogs chasing cats. If it had been a cat it would have been a mousefish, or if it was Jay, probably a Mummafish etc :-)

Good luck,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 2iar
    [quote author=Hoges link=1139090026/0#7 date=1139127944][quote author=Horse link=1139090026/0#2 date=1139090552]How do you miss a dog in a 4.2m boat

[/quote]

I think it might have been a joke Hoges, albeit a very poor one - you know, like dogs chasing cats. If it had been a cat it would have been a mousefish, or if it was Jay, probably a Mummafish etc :-)

Good luck,
    Mike[/quote]

LOL ...and I thought those two blokes were slow not noticing a missing dog in a 4.2 boat. Guess I am not much better not getting that sublime attempt at humour.

I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here