Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned

Re: Lessons Learned

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin
    3rd: I dropped a 6ft pike eel into a 10 ft tinnie........'nuff said, my joggers still bear the scar

kev
    LOL kev

Mate is there any type of VERMIN you haven't caught!!!!

Ian.

Ps. those winch handles are very dangerous another reason to drive the boat on the trailer!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

I have learned that when the cigarette lighter runs out, don't try lighting a petrol soaked rag with a spark plug lead from the engine.

I have learned not to stand on the bow with the cast net with someone else on the throttle and the engine in reverse.

I have learned to make sure the cord of the castnet is around my wrist and tight before casting off any wharves...............I have also learned that the castnet is not as valuable as my gold watch, my sunnies, my hat, my best thongs and the contents of my wallet!

I have learned that mud crabs are like magpies. If you focus only on one claw the other one will get you!!

Cheers
    Dave

1. Remember to put the bungs in.
    2. Put the bungs in.
    3. Check you put the bungs in.

You may have further tribulations along the way, but they won't be nearly as bad once you've done this

Good luck,
    Mike

When working as a nurse in the UK - a guy came in, a sight that brought a tear to my eye.

Picture this. Mr Sterotypical-Brit (not his real name), always so macho that he nevers calls for a tradie because he always knows what to do....

Ok, so one day Mr Sterotypical-Brit comes home from work, wifes nagging him to finally fix the damm washing machine or she'll call an electrician. It's been raining and he's soaked through.

But - fed up of her nagging - he finially gets the tools out and pulls the machine appart. Guys take note.

The electricity arced through the metal zip on his jeans fly. The swelling and colouration were amazing and he even got it pictured in several medical journals. Not to mention the steady stream of medical students and nurses that wanted to examine it - and the amount of giggling that was going on outside the cubicle. poor guys ego to a battering and a half.
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter

bidkev

Oh! And another one!

When you're sat on the bow of a 10ft tinnie facing the stern, making your way through the mangroves to look for new crabbing spots and your mate yells out, "F**k!" and you reply, "what's up mate?"..................It means you need your hearing tested........... *and* that you're about to lose your sunnies, your hat, the sight in yer right eye, and get knocked into the drink!

kev

He who is not grateful for the good things he has would not be happy with what he wishes he had.

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time
    [quote author=kingtin link=1138874314/0#0 date=1138874313] 3rd: I dropped a 6ft pike eel into a 10 ft tinnie........'nuff said, my joggers still bear the scar

kev
    LOL #kev

Mate is there any type of VERMIN you haven't caught!!!!

Ian.

[/quote]

On a hook? I don't think so The water rat was a bit harder though. I had to use a landing net

kev

How many of you believe in telekinesis?......... Raise MY hand!

al-straddie

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Nauti

I have learned to make sure the cord of the castnet is around my wrist and tight before casting off any wharves...............I have also learned that the castnet is not as valuable as my gold watch, my sunnies, my hat, my best thongs and the contents of my wallet!
    LMAO
    flnally realised I'm not alone.

westie

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin
    Further to recent debates on boating safety I thought it may be interesting and worthwhile to share any painful (or otherwise) experiences that you have encountered whilst boating/fishing.

Was there valuable lessons to be learned? Could the experience have been avoided? In retrospect, what suggestions do you have to prevent them happening again?

First up, I've made the fatal mistake of grabbing a wire leader and taking a turn around the hand without gloves. I now always have a pair of welders gloves in the boat, these because they reach up the arm and cover the wrist/artery.

2nd: My deckie was handling a very fast run from what I assume was a wahoo or spanish.......I was stood to her left giving "verbal help" when the fish ran to the left and the stern of the boat. As I moved to the stern to see if it was going to entangle the prop, it decided to run for'ard up the other side of the boat, resulting in the line going across my neck, The deckie couldn't wouldn't let go the rod and I screamed at her to pass the rod over my head which she duly did, unfortunately from the wrong way, which resulted in a coil around my neck. I screamed for a knife and luckily one was to hand. I think this was the most frightening experience I've ever had in fishing. Me and the deckie didn't speak for 48 hrs Lesson learned....stay away from the deckie when she's on a high

3rd: I dropped a 6ft pike eel into a 10 ft tinnie........'nuff said, my joggers still bear the scar

4th: I let go the winch handle when I hadn't engaged the lock....result.......fractured cheekbone
    lesson learned: Let the deckie handle the winch

kev

We tolerate shapes in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.

kev it seem you think it was just in the excitement of it all with you deckie.
    Was there at any time you thought WHY!!!! is she smiling so much when It could be cut to threads here, and she know full well what is going on and she had the perfect crime, sorry accident.

Watch ya back mate all women want to get even with there man at sometime over some little thing

Westie

Quote Originally Posted by Grand_Marlin

9) Penguins arent as cute and innocent as they look... especially if provoked...
    just the images that spring to mind

The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

You blokes are a crack up

Make sure the full roller game rod is securely bottomed in the gimble rod holder with safety lanyard connected before going out through the bar...(turned around just in time to see it wobble over the edge into the drink...worst thing was it was my old man's new outfit when I was a kid...went home with some BS story about a mammoth strike in free spool that birdsnested the reel ripping it over..had to tell him something exciting...)

Oh, and be kind to ya mummas (just for you Jay!!)

Cheers

rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowrunner
    [quote author=Grand_Marlin link=1138874314/0#5 date=1138883916]

9) Penguins arent as cute and innocent as they look... especially if provoked...
    just the images that spring to mind

[/quote]

i tryed telling my mum that the penguins started attacking me before i through my coke and hot dog in to the cage and i was not trying to see how hypo they get on coke.
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

I have learnt.. that you never say "throw us the knife" even if you mean just handing it over.... you might end with it stuck in your foot

Tim

If you think of going to sleep in beach caves on Kangaroo Island to get away from wild weather, then think again.....

There are more than two types of animals in those caves:-

Seal colonies
    Penguin rookeries (at dusk - oooohhh funny noises, guys get out, ahha that's what they are )
    Large kangaroos that go right past you in the cave entrance and don't know you are there (dusk)
    Medium size cranky crabs that come in at 2 am looking for inflatable beds, cups and a fight
    Small mammals that jump into the biscuit bag+decidely dance side-2-side, next to your head (4am)
    Penguin and fish parasites in the beach sand where you want to fish, that suck your blood (6.30am)

Pick caves that do not have low ceilings - if you want to get out in a hurry.

Also, when wading on the sandflats, spearing flounder, it is recommended that you do not poke a large octopus with your 12v flounder light.
    It is not documented anywhere, but let it be said, that a large octopus has the ability to get upset very easily....pull the end off your light and f@(K off with it... leaving you standing in the middle of the bay with no light....

.... must be related to penguins.....

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Grand Marlin, I have only just been able to stop laughing long enough to post this!!!!! That was bloody hilarious!!!!

Dave