Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jetskier rescued TWICE in 24hrs

Re: Jetskier rescued TWICE in 24hrs

first is it a rescue bill or a fine he is getting??? bit of a diffrence

second i belive VMR units shouldn't carrie fule to refule people but instead two in regardless
    i belive he shouldn't of had a choise to stay out or come in
    however the rescue organisation needs to take a bit of the blame for letting this happen
    may not of been as bad as it is now if he was made come in first time

and yes you set of your epirb that should be it
    i thought those things were for cases like when a mayday isn't able to be broadcast??

lastly and this isn't really about this case but i think it is a sad day when your made to pay for your own rescue if it was honest
    like i have no problem with donating a big chunk of money for saveing my life however if it is a user pay system

as i said wasn't in this case more for a honest time like when someonedoes sink or has i fire while out at sea not some hero on a jetski who went beyond his abilty and could of made it less painful by comeing home first time round

Jet skier faces a $14,575 rescue bill

A JET skier faces a $14,575 rescue bill after he called out emergency services to help him twice in one weekend.

Jamie Evans, 32, painter, of North Mackay, pleaded guilty in the Magistrate’s Court yesterday to operating a vessel in an unsafe manner off Mackay between December 16 and 19.

Mr Evans took a 3.7m jet ski 35 nautical miles offshore and was stranded on rocks at Double Island when he activated his EPIRB, to which the Volunteer Marine Rescue (VMR) boat VMR Mackay responded.

The boat crew offered to transport him back to Mackay but he refused.

The next morning he activated his EPIRB at a location 10 nautical miles south of where he had been earli- er.

The RACQ CQ-Rescue helicopter located him holding a red flare but the helicopter could not land because of bad terrain.
    VMR Mackay went out again and this time they transported his jet ski back to the Mackay Marina.

Prosecutor Senior Constable Tony Irving said the costs involved were: $11,575 for the RACQ-CQ Rescue helicopter; $1600 for fuel for VMR; $500 in damage to the VMR boat Rescue Cat IV; and $900 for police overtime. The rescues took up 50 hours of VMR’s time.

Duty solicitor John Blayney, of Legal Aid Queensland, said Mr Evans had already paid $2500 to the Mackay VMR and the case was adjourned until February 10 to allow other costs to be considered.

I dont understand why the rescue team let him head back by himself, surely they would of been aware about the conditions. Was that the right decision for them to make or do they have no say in if someone wants rescuing or not
    JN

There was a thing on one of the current affairs shows last night about this. Apperently he is also disqualified from driving at the moment and there he was on TV driving away from court in his car. Apparently got pinged again. Makes you wonder??

What a complete noodle!!
    JN

Quote Originally Posted by DR
    QUICK, someone put some more chlorine in the gene pool..
    hehehe
    exactly !!!

all jet skiers should go and get lost on an island. they do nothing but annoy the hell out of everyone!

so was this chappy actually breaking any laws? there's quite a few parallels that can be drawn from this one or is it just because it's a jet ski?

lastly and this isn't really about this case but i think it is a sad day when your made to pay for your own rescue if it was honest
    like i have no problem with donating a big chunk of money for saveing my life however if it is a user pay system
    If you can afford the jet ski you can afford to pay to be rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by backhoe
    There was a thing on one of the current affairs shows last night about this. Apperently he is also disqualified from driving at the moment and there he was on TV driving away from court in his car. Apparently got pinged again. Makes you wonder??
    Once you are disqulified from driving a motor vehicle you are disqualified from any sort of vehicle that you require a licence for.

So this guy must not have been licenced at the time of his rescues?

Silly man

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bros
    If you can afford the jet ski you can afford to pay to be rescued.

well if we now need to pay to be rescued no matter what on the bais that we can afford to be out there then surely that can lead to privet enterprise getting in and makeing some money and undercutting the VMR units
    as i said i have no problems donateing a chunk of money but when you have to pay a itamsed bill covering everything then that couldn't be a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by MIKOS
    [quote author=backhoe link=1134982573/45#48 date=1139631347]There was a thing on one of the current affairs shows last night about this. Apperently he is also disqualified from driving at the moment and there he was on TV driving away from court in his car. Apparently got pinged again. Makes you wonder??
    Once you are disqulified from driving a motor vehicle you are disqualified from any sort of vehicle that you require a licence for.

So this guy must not have been licenced at the time of his rescues?

Silly man

Mike
    [/quote]
    not sure on the law in Queensland but in NSW you can be banned from driveing a car and yet still be able to drive a bike or boat if you have the licences

Quote Originally Posted by sf17fisherman
    not sure on the law in Queensland but in NSW you can be banned from driveing a car and yet still be able to drive a bike or boat if you have the licences
    In QLD, if you lose one you lose the lot for the period of the ban. Wasn't always the case, but it certainly is now.

Mike

sf17fisherman, just thought I would enlarge on a couple of your coments

second i belive VMR units shouldn't carrie fule to refule people but instead two in regardless
    i belive he shouldn't of had a choise to stay out or come in
    however the rescue organisation needs to take a bit of the blame for letting this happen
    may not of been as bad as it is now if he was made come in first time

and yes you set of your epirb that should be it
    i thought those things were for cases like when a mayday isn't able to be broadcast??
    Towing and fuel. By and large, their can be a number of problems refueling a vessel on the water. Motion of boats can cause spillage, falls and injurys especially during transfer, static electricity can cause explosion, fumes from improperly vented bilges... explosion, wrong fuel/mixture.... being sued for a new motor... not the least vague areas of wether we would be covered in the event of fire on our own vessel while carrying the extra fuel... some insurance companies say that if you are carrying extra fuel in your car you MAY NOT be covered in the event of a fire, wether this is true or not I dont know for sure. Occassionaly, VERY OCCASSIONALY, we MAY refuel on the water. This is at the Skippers determination but is against unit policy in MOST instances at our Unit.

The Rescue Group must bear some responsibility
    No VMR or Coastguard member has any statutory authority to enforce anything. We are Volunteers and I would suspect if the Boating Public were to start getting told what to do by us we would get no support whatsoever. We can only offer advice and recommendations. If your boat is left unattended and it starts to take on water through the head (toilet), we can not board your vessel without the owners permission or untill we recieve express approval from Water Police if you cant be contacted. I have actualy sat and waited for permission from Police to board a vessel at Pt Halloran as it was slowly submerging. This took a full 10 minutes and was very unerving watching a boat sink before your very eyes and wondering if you were going to get the word on time. (This story gives an example of how little we can do without permission). We made it on time, pumped it out using 2 fire pumps, moved furnishings within the vessel to higher ground and repaired the non return valve. Surprisingly enough, the owner came to the Base window the following day and had a blue with me asking, "Who gave you the right to board my expletive vessel"? I was never more greatfull than that day having followed the proceedures laid down!!! I have no idea why he didnt want us stopping his boat from sinking, probably insurance I guess?
    Further to that, I think a large number of Volunteers would toss it in if the were forced into the position of doing the Polices or Fisheries job for them, a smack in the chops for doing Volunteer work isnt worth the money

Epirbs
    Yep, epirbs should only be activated when you as the Master or the vessel are in Grave and immenent danger, or that if you do not recieve help quickly you will end up in the above before help is likely to arrive. (Mayday/PanPan). However the gentleman placed himself in this situation 2 times in nothing that could be described as anything else but as intentional. If he had played the game on the initial call and done as suggested he wouldnt have got in the mess, nor would he be forking out these great wad's of cash.

Tony Bulwar got rescued twice, several years apart... he did not have to pay any money out even though one of those jobs cost the Australian Navy well over $100,000-00. As a signatory to the Solas agreement, Australia must offer a service to the Maritime community free of charge for Maydays and PanPans, NOT ROUTINE... however, to get this free service you must follow the controlling Authoritys instructions.
    Just a month or two back a boat travelling between Australia and NZ put out a Mayday in attrocious weather. The vessels steering was disabled. 3 POB, the NZ Navy would not take the vessel under tow in the conditions as it was considered to dangerous by them, 2 persons evacuated to the Navy ship, the owner stayed with the boat and refused to leave it even though it was insured. Conditions deteriorated, the boat rolled and the Skipper saw sense finaly and abandoned to a life raft... the Navy ship was recalled and he was taken on board.... he was given an account by the Navy or the Courts, I cant remember which in something of the order of $70,000-00. He, like this bloke, rejected help/instructions and incurred the ADDITIONAL costs as a result. (And rightly so in my opinion).

Hope this explains it a little bit better

Kind Regards Lloyd

Lloyd i'm glad to hear you rarely refule people as i do also think it was the wrong move and also i thought it was the case you only ask for the payment (that gets written as a donation and is tax ductable) but wasn't 100% sure

i agree in this case he was defintly should pay a nice chunk to keep karma on his side

i may of worded my reply wrong yesterday but was getting at a scenro like following

2PO
    Wide of the east coast
    Whales migrating
    Boat get hit and fliped and with luck everyone ok but in the water
    They set of the Epirb being the last and only means or raiseing the alarm

this sets off a big and wide search and resuce

now going by what some people are saying these people should pay for their rescue alone with a repair or new boat
    in this case it would be a total accedent that isn't and can't be helped and i'm sure like many that do have this happen each year they would donate a nice size of cash to the VMR but i just don't belive we should ever think that if thing like this happen we should pay for the lot

well not like that but if like the two above where they knock back the rescue than yes they should pay the second ot more times around