Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Midgies ??

Re: Midgies ??

1/3 Dettol
    1/3 Metho
    1/3 Baby Oil
    and a few drops of *pure* Citronella Oil.

You don't have to be precise with the D/M/BO quantities, just use what you've got but stay as close as you can. The Metho helps repel, the Dettol helps repel and disinfect any bites, and the BO just helps the consistencyof the solution for application.

Mix up big quantities in put into spray bottles. I've got 2xlitre bottles for the camp, and various smaller ones for the car, boat and tackle box.

Cheap as chips and works a charm. I'd love to give this a go in the West Coast and Highlands of Scotland. Midgies are ferocious there, but at least there are no mozzies.

Good luck,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 2iar
    1/3 Dettol
    1/3 Metho
    1/3 Baby Oil
    We tryed this last week @ Yepoon.......................what a great formula........ [smiley=idea.gif]........it really works...... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]........has anyone thought of bottling this and selling it? [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Cheers
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

tincanpeter

Feral
    It didn't have to be after big rain in Longreach. They use to be savage at the local swimming pool. Those days they had grass surrounds. Idon't know if that is still the case

Definately the higher the deet level the better, the vitamin b trick is a wives tale and false,if bad welts come out then the best thing to take is an antihystamine such as Zyrtec,this will greatly reduce the reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by fish-n-dive
    [quote author=2iar link=1139578700/15#15 date=1139792537]1/3 Dettol
    1/3 Metho
    1/3 Baby Oil
    We tryed this last week @ Yepoon.......................what a great formula........ [smiley=idea.gif]........it really works...... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]........has anyone thought of bottling this and selling it? [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Cheers [/quote]

Glad it helped mate.

Just make sure you give the bottles a shake before use, particularly if they're not see-through. The baby oil separates from the rest of the brew, so you wouldn't get the right belnd without mixing it up a bit.

Good luck,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 2iar
    [quote author=fish-n-dive link=1139578700/15#16 date=1143524785][quote author=2iar link=1139578700/15#15 date=1139792537]1/3 Dettol
    1/3 Metho
    1/3 Baby Oil

Cheers [/quote][/quote]

Glad it helped mate.

Just make sure you give the bottles a shake before use, particularly if they're not see-through. The baby oil separates from the rest of the brew, so you wouldn't get the right blend without mixing it up a bit.

I even mixed up a big batch and sprayed the tent/tarp once, which seemed to reduce the amount of critters around the camp in general, though it's hard to judge. I'm not yet sure what the long-term results will be on the tent fabric, and don't forget there's metho in it, so you're increasing its' flammability. [smiley=fireman.gif]

Good luck,
    Mike

I also come out in weepy welts after an attack of either sandflies or midgies.............there is a difference.

My recipe is your average bottle of tea tree lotion from the supermarket with a 2-4 drops of pure citronella oil in it (not the fuel you put in your citronella burners)

The citronella is the repellant and the lotion help spreads it over your skin. The tea tree also acts as a soother to any bites that you may have recieved.

Have also heard good reports from the dettol/metho/babyoil/couple of drops of citronella/couple of drops of tea tree oil method.

Cheers

As Robbo_Townsville said, Bushman's is the strongest (off the shelf) product you can buy and they do come in different strenghts. Again, do not use on kids and don't get it on plastic/rubber etc as it could eat into it. It ate a mates sounder pretty bad.

I also would not use it for prolonged periods but it is very very good - taste pretty bad though so wash hands after applying. They do make it in a aerosol spray can.

One more thing we use to do before heading up to Turkey Beach is for a week prior, we would take Vitamin B tablets. This doesn't really prevent them from biting but more so reduces the after affect.

The locals at turkey use avon bath oil it seems to work really well

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo_Townsville View Post
    100% cotton long shirt and trousers for a starter.

Bushman Professional in the white tube is as strong as u can get with 40% deet. I think thats twice as pwerful as anything else on the market. DONT put in on your kids though.
    Or the plastic trim in your car or anything else plastic for that matter.

We have midgies here and use OFF tropical strength which has 191 g/l Picardin. DEET works but as others point out, everything plastic will be damaged by it.

Also, both are not waterproof to any real extent, so getting wet at the ramp can be hazardous. The mixtures based on baby oil may be better at holding the repellent in wet situations.

... Ron via mobile

Ron
    Loc: Bundaberg
    B1: Yalta Craft 2200 Fisherman + Suzuki DF150
    B2: Quintrex 430 Fishabout + E-Tech 40

I've heard these thermacell units work very well on mozzies id say midges as well316927

Thermacell worked well for me in Cape York. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I'm lucky, immune to them along with my brothers and sister. I feel the bite but thats all, no bite mark, no itch. I put it down to growing up on Bribie Island in a house with no flyscreans.
    ~~~><))))*>

Try a few pieces of dry cow dung in your camp fire..keeps the lot at bay...we have used it for years