Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ciguatera... Do We have it ???

Re: #Ciguatera... Do We have it ???

Feral,

Have you read all the facts in my post.

You don't get senses reversal from Food poisoning nor head aches, leg paines neck soreness and stiffness. My kids went for a swim a couple of days ago in the ocean, water temp 23.9 degrees and they complained of getting burnt from the water and had to get out. When is the last time you herd of anyone getting symptoms like that from food poisoning. As far as the fish going off, everyone who knows me and has fished with me would know that would never happen on my boat.

I think you just skimmed the post and came out with an annoying comment.

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Re:  Ciguatera... Do We have it ???

Jeffo,

not a bad thought, I may give it some weight.

Garry
    Garry

gday garry,

far out i cant believe what you guys are going through. really sorry to hear it, and my regards to your family! must be terrible. hang in there sir.

feral,

mate, as garry just said, READ the symptoms! salmonella DOES NOT mess with you sensorally - cig does!

cuzza

I had not looked at this thread thinking it was not that important! Very serious indeed. I do hope the symptoms abate quickly and you do not have recurrences, for all of you affected.

I have also heard of the manitol treatment in the acute phase, and how several people were brought back from unconciousness, but I can't further comment because I'm not an expert.

Thanks for that doctor feral!!
    Ciguatera builds up in the fish and it depends upon the levels in the fish as to wether it becomes immediatly apparant or builds up over a period of time in humans.

The symptoms all indicate a severe dose of ciguatera toxin!!

Regards, Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Feral
    Have to be awful big dose for you to all cop it, I reckon more likely the fish simply went off on you. What you got was a simple dose of food poisoning, like salmonela . (not that it feels all that simple!) Its classic symptoms are sitting on the toilet with a bucker between your knees because you dont have time to get up and change ends, violent onset, over in about 6 to 12 hours.

"Ciga" is a slow build up toxic poison, that builds up in the system, that takes for ever to get over, then it only takes another small amount to set it all off again. Had an uncle that his initial bout lasted weeks, then occassionally for years after that when he got into the reef fish, back it would come. Although Mackeral are suposed to be natorious for it, the symptoms and spread dont point to it.
    Our awareness of this problem is sadly lacking and totally under publicised. Suggest you check out this website, it is a real eye opener.

http://cigua.oceanit.com/

Chin up Garry, theres one in every crowd, apparently...

I also think that this is a grossly underpublicised subject but that A current affair or their likes can make an objective show is probably hmmm positive thinking.
    But a scaremongering factless show that publicises the subject and gets a debate going might be just the ticket. Sorry I just don't like their cheap reporting but I agree that some facts, if they can be found, need to hit the streets.

BB

Very sorry to here your plight Garry we hope that everyone is on the way to recovery .
    just a little imput the wife and i have spent some time in Vanuatu where cig is a big concern over there for any expat who eats reef fish .
    they mainly stick to skip jacks and tuna caught 20miles out .
    the nee van population have built up a imunity to it .the main reason for this post is tell you what they do uver there to check for cig any reef fish caught for eating they cut a cube out of the fillet and place it on a ants nest after 10 to 15 minutes if no ants on it they dont eat it as well as trying it on the cat first ,same thing if the cat turns its nose up throw it away .
    i thought it a old wives tale untill i saw it my self .hope this helps .
    Get well soon Garry and your family

regards Rob
    live to fish work to live

Sure a cat might perceive a chemical at one part per trillion, but what if the cat eats it and looks ok but dies 6 hrs later, when you've just previously ingested a fish dinner (after watching your cat). Their cats might be streetwise regarding ciguatera poisoning but what about your untrained cat in Brisbane?

Sure cats might be useful, but I wouldn't try my own cat for my own life. I'd rather a definitive test or not play cat/fish roulette.

Re: Ciguatera... Do We have it ???

Just a reminder of what can change your fish eating habits
    Garry

Give us a run down, Garry - how long 'til it all subsided? Do you eat fish today? How long before you all felt 'normal' again?

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    Give us a run down, Garry - how long 'til it all subsided? Do you eat fish today? How long before you all felt 'normal' again?

Cuzza
    We took the full 3 months off eating fish as recommended that was the easy part... not havin a beer for 3 months was the hardest.

It took my daughter 9-12 months to go back to eating fish.

My wife lost her gall bladder in that 3 month period, doctors told us it was triggered by the Cigautera.

No long term ill effects, I now taste test all fish over 10kg before I let anyone else eat it, however I do think it was a rarety to get it from a fish this far south!
    Garry

Gary, thanks for the reminder. I have thought about this topic a few times, and wondered why only certain areas you are more likely to get it. Example within hervey bay but outside the bay is generally ok. As the fish move up and down the coast l would have thought size would have been the main reason fir getting CP.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

My grandfather go it from a very big coral trout about 10 years ago. The trout was caught off 1770. Nearly killed him and he was bed-ridden for 3 months. The doc told him that he would have intermittent symptoms for the rest of his life, which he has; and that if he ever ate a fish with it a second time, it would kill him outright.

Ever since, we have never kept any trout over about 3kg.

Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by DICER View Post
    Sure a cat might perceive a chemical at one part per trillion, but what if the cat eats it and looks ok but dies 6 hrs later, when you've just previously ingested a fish dinner (after watching your cat). Their cats might be streetwise regarding ciguatera poisoning but what about your untrained cat in Brisbane?

Sure cats might be useful, but I wouldn't try my own cat for my own life. I'd rather a definitive test or not play cat/fish roulette.

Might be definitive if you waited 24 hours to see if symptoms appeared in the cat before eating the fish?