Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Ciguatera... Do We have it ???

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Ciguatera... Do We have it ???

Yes we do have it ,the bloody mongrel,last month i was a patient in the Logan Hospital and a fella came in with it and was nearly brown bread.A 1.3mtr Mack off the Goldy he had some for his tea 3 days after he was able to tell me,so be careful lads.

Hilly.

Hi Gary
    Not good all , hope you are all feeling a little better. Over the years I have always kept in mind the rule of 5kg . However , it can also be entirely the location. Back in 2000 I was over visiting my old man in Rabaul and went out fishing on an atol for a few nights. We caught a number of red bass and large ones, the discussion of Cig came up in which we were advised these ones were ok to eat but over on the other reef they often contained cig. Saying this I did eat the bass and came out ok, although will always get local advise in future anyhow.
    Hopefully it doesn't put you off.
    mick

Quote Originally Posted by Ringoscar View Post
    Cig cases at Evans Head on Thurs from a 16kg fish caught at Riordans Wednesday.
    And here I am thinking "Nah, I'm out of harms way". I ate 2 fish from Riordans and 1 from South Reef this week. Mind you I don't mind feeding the neighbours cat now. Silly thing stirs the dogs up so I've been rewarding it by treating it like a canary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Hi Gary
    Not good all , hope you are all feeling a little better. Over the years I have always kept in mind the rule of 5kg . However , it can also be entirely the location. Back in 2000 I was over visiting my old man in Rabaul and went out fishing on an atol for a few nights. We caught a number of red bass and large ones, the discussion of Cig came up in which we were advised these ones were ok to eat but over on the other reef they often contained cig. Saying this I did eat the bass and came out ok, although will always get local advise in future anyhow.
    Hopefully it doesn't put you off.
    mick
    Mick, original post was in 2006, we go over it well and got back to eating fish 3 months later
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Classic ! Must look at the date next time ,must have been reported with all the other recent reports. Well I have seen you since then so I know you alive.
    cheers mate

A friend and myself got the poisoning from a mackerel about 10kg caught off Cairns in about November 3-4 years ago. He ate two steaks I ate one. He took about a week off work because of it and we suffered symptoms for at least 6-12 months. I had several scolding hot showers without knowing until my girlfriend went to hop in with me one time- she got a shock! My body ached for a couple of weeks and I often got funny tingling sensations in the extremities, this gradually eased over time. I slept a hour or two extra a night for about 6 months and was often lethargic. I don't drink alcohol but returned to eating fish after about 6 months, although very selectively. I have eaten Mackerel since but find it very hard to do so and will never eat a large mackerel again.

That would explain the downturn in numbers of fishos chasing macks off Ballina then with the Reirdons episode....
    I wont be eating them thats for sure...
    Some of the locals were getting macks off the walls here not long back but I heard they were giving them away..

not one boat at black head Ballina this A.M despite what i would consider prime conditions...theres either no fish... which I find hard to believe...or no bodies game

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    not one boat at black head Ballina this A.M despite what i would consider prime conditions...theres either no fish... which I find hard to believe...or no bodies game
    Hi mate,
    We will have to start doing catch and release on macks for a bit of fun then hey..
    I will hold them, you get the lure out....