Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ciguatera... Do We have it ???

Re: Ciguatera... Do We have it ???

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    Gary, thanks for the reminder. I have thought about this topic a few times, and wondered why only certain areas you are more likely to get it. Example within hervey bay but outside the bay is generally ok. As the fish move up and down the coast l would have thought size would have been the main reason fir getting CP.
    Yeh Bruce, We didn't think twice with a 16kg fish
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

I read an interesting study on it back when my grandfather had it. The findings were that it was generally only found in areas with resorts or large populations near the coast. The study also showed a massive increase in the number of cases in areas where the population, and inherent industry and infrastructure; had significantly increased. They were doing further studies to find if it was linked with waste going into the waters from the population causing significantly higher quantities of the benthic microalgae and cyanobacteria, which is where the toxin actually comes from.

Simply, the small fish eat the algae and the big fish eat the little fish. The toxin is cumulative, so the more little fish the big fish eat over time, the more of the toxin they 'hold'. The older the fish, the worse the contamination will be.

Long story short - takes pics of the big fish and let them go.

Ben.

Seriously scary stuff mate! Would have never given it a second thought off the tweed nine mile, but i guess it makes sense as they are pelagic, I don't think i would be able to bring myself to eat another spanish as long as i lived if that happened to me..

There are guide lines that marketers of fish follow to help ensure the public are kept "safer " follow this link and it will give you some indictors to reduce the risk.
    Fish marketers in Qld follow similar guidelines.- I'd suggest a Pro fisher would find it hard to sell larger sized fish in the categories listed.
    http://www.sydneyfishmarket.com.au/P...a_Schedule.pdf
    Ciguatera toxin has a few other similar cousins that are also carried by our seafood . Some of these other toxins give similar symptoms.
    Bigger the fish the "higher the chance" of the encounter is, especially if caught in a hot spot area,
    A simple hint is : weigh up the risks and eat smaller portions of larger questionable fish till you are sure its ok and then proceed to share it if you wish.
    Reading this document Byron Bay North and our pacific island neighbours seems to be the hot spots of concern.
    I recon you and your family were really dead set unlucky if you contracted ciguatera from a 12 to 16kg Spanish off the Gold Coast but as you can see - according to the guidelines - those fish were at risk and wouldn't have made it to market.

Regards
    BeastMaster.
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Thanks for the link. 6kg for a Red Emperor isn't much. The only size one I have caught was 60cm and weighed about 5kg.

My experience and that passed down from the parental gods of time has been that the person cleaning the fish is normally the first to know.
    If you are cleaning a fish with ciguatera your tips of fingers will tingle and sometimes go numb, touch your tounge and the end of it will go numb
    I got a tub of fish off Rooneys, cleaning them my fingers showed symptoms, dumped fish and went to hospital and sure enough, that is the diagnosis . Being very mild had no effect long term
    May not happen all the time, not my profession but always go by it
    Cheers

I had a similar thing happen to me years ago down in Vic. I always ate flake from the local shop and remember that cold was definitely hot, but can't remember it being the other way round. It freaked me out a bit that cold was burning, even to just touch my lips would burn with the coke can. I didn't get sick like you Gary, just remember feeling a bit off for a while.

Maybe just allergic to hondas mate better just give them motors to me, I'll look after them for ya just so it don't happen again spread the love I say.

I have been very careful not to catch any Reds over 6kg.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Maybe just allergic to hondas mate better just give them motors to me, I'll look after them for ya just so it don't happen again spread the love I say.
    If you did ya job well enough you would take all the dodgy ones and leave the good ones for me
    Garry

Re:  Ciguatera... Do We have it ???

Heads up, anther case of Cig has come to light from a fish caught from Palm Beach Reef, the fish was just 12 kg
    Garry

Just read this post from the start, the 1.3m Spanish I caught this morning at Palmy, is going to be burley for Spotties or crab bait !.I caught a Yellow Tail king as well today also same lenght, I have read today that they are also a carrier, bugger !

Cig cases at Evans Head on Thurs from a 16kg fish caught at Riordans Wednesday.

Got a 120cm mac of straddie yesterday and in two minds about eating it. Not sure on weight but it was a fair bit heavier than the other one that measured 100cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick77 View Post
    Got a 120cm mac of straddie yesterday and in two minds about eating it. Not sure on weight but it was a fair bit heavier than the other one that measured 100cm.
    Fek it. 300 grams in the gut and now I wait.