Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when flatties harm!

when flatties harm!

gday all,

was fishing with fastmantis other night down castle hill way for eels for shark bait. anyway, pulled in a coupla nice lizards. both of size. both returned. unfortunately as i grabbed the secong one on the bottom jaw he gave a massive headshake and made a meal of my thumb - no glove worn!!! at that stage we both examined the wound, cursed the bugger, threw him back and fished on. i saw ALL the cr#p in the pine river had entered my wound, but negligently forgot to fully clean it out when i got home. next day started to hurt, so put some savlon on. next day started to kill, so lost my cool and went to docs. day after that i was in EXCRUCIATING pain and my thumb was up like a balloon. also had red lines running down my arm. blood poisoning i thought. anyway to cut a long story short what started out as a simple cut ended up being admission to hospital and pumped with strong antibiotics! three days of absolute hell that pain was. even a ray barb or h' moment didnt get me anywhere near as much. so yeah, just thought i'd urge everyone to be vigilant when it comes to cleaning their wounds, especially in the pine!!! i had become way too complacent and it was a good kick up the butt for me to have. so please, always take care of your wounds fellas (and ladies). i nearly lost my thumb yesterday. bent rods to all, and remember the gloves when grabbing those lizards!

cuzza

Re: when flatties harm!

i've warned others before mate about the closeness of that narangba nuke site to the pine,,,

it didn't glow in the dark did it???????

(i thought mantis would have been wearing those special cement shoes by now,,, )

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

lol choppa! yeah mate the lizard didn't seem to glow - had three eyes tho. seems to be the normal thing in the pine. probly why i'm so odd , ive eaten too many things from there. mantis's shoes have been fitted and he'll be wearing them hopefully tomorrow night!!! clug clug clug.

i'll just add that the docs at the hospital said that its important if you get infected by anything in the water to make sure you tell em. apparently they are totally different bacteria and therefore require different antibiotics. i told the g.p. a fish bit me - you'd reckon that'd allude to water!!! but yeah, never again!

cuzza

Seem to remember Touchy i think it was nearly losing a thumb. Spent a bit of time in hospital too.

A few years ago I spent total of 13 days in hospital in one year for two seperate infections, four days of which I was quarantined so I well and truly feel your pain mate and I bet you'll be more carefull next time.

My old man nearly lost his thumb twice, once did the same thing with a flatty in tinny creek.

Second time nearly lost thumb to his OWN filleting knife.

2 rules come out of that.

1 - allways gloves when handling flathead now on.

2 - Dont fillet fish pi$$ed

Cuzza,

I feel your pain!

Glad to hear you got treatment in time, those buggas can lull you into a false sense of security by sometimes not moving until after you've picked them up.

I've been to hospital to have a hook removed from my hand, been stung by a black trevelly, but nothing hurts more than being careless around flathead.

Get well soon!

Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

blue-mako

thers a spot u can pick them up under neath them... u hold them behind ther pectoral fins... but yes i no how flatties can cut u up quite good and easily

cheers, troy

thanks heaps roz! they are exactly that! i became complacent and paid the price. i bet the black trevor woulda hurt!

unreal streetkid. i cant believe how sick you became. musta been darn hairy!!

yeah ibbo #thanks for the heads up with the knife. i guess it aint just restricted to the creatures emselves!

cuzza

yeah troy i did that AFTER the fact - i just needed to get hold of his mouth closely so i'd stop him headshaking - worked a treat, lol. but yeah, from now on thats all i'll be #doing mate.

cuzza

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

I feel for you Cuzza. I was stung by a bloody catfish some months ago now and my finger is still sore and out of shape. > I guess we all need a touch up sometimes to remember how dangerous some creatures can be. Bloody painful lessons though!

Cheers
    Dave

gday dave,

far out those bl@@dy croaking scum!!! sorry kev, but crikes they cause so much grief. ive been done four times by them now, but never as bad as you were dave. well ive heard of some stings coming good after months of pain, so hopefully your reprieve isnt too far away! did you get it x rayed? maybe some of the spine got caught in there. they did that to me co s they thought some of the teeth may have broken off into the wound. so yeah, maybe get that done if it aint getting better. sorry to hear that.

cuzza

Cuzza, I always go by the rule.

Rule 1. Catch a fish, put the GLOVEon!

Rule 2. If you don't want to put the glove on see Rule 1.

Sorry to hear of your pain, but it is a lesson and thanks for sharing it as it may make others less complacent.

Angla

land_based

That sucks cuzza,when i cut myself on an anal fin of a bream when i was in the pine i put my hand in the water because i thought the salt water would be good for it Won't be doing that again, on another note, did you get any bullies?

This may belong in the myth-busters thread, but I over heard an old bloke one night on how to handle flatties, & yes I have tried it , & most times it works.

Stick your finger on their bum & squeeze. ( you have to imagine the look on the flatties face )
    They usually stay quite still.

Muzz