Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should he pay for it?

should he pay for it?

I took a non fishing mate fishing and when we were packing up at the ramp he shut the tail gate of my van on one of my favourite rods shortening it somewhat.

He offered to pay for it. It is now a useless plank. What is the etiquette here? Should I just suck it up or put my hand out?

Any thoughts on this kind of thing?

The_Walrus

Re: should he pay for it?

He offered so accept the offer.

Luc

if he's a good mate, he'll arive tommorow with new rod in hand!!

cheers

lippa

He should pay and the fact that he offered shows he is willing to pay. Accept the offer.
    Cheers

Steven

well you are mates and he is a non fishing mate he may not know what the gear is worth me if he is a mate and breaks a rod so be it and he is sorry for what he has done why charge him accidents do happen after all he is a mate

shane

He's a mate he'll pay and even so you'll be able give him heaps for at least the next 5 years about how he broke your "ROD"

It's entirely up to how you feel about the situation,no one should make this decision for you,it certainly seems cut and dry but you would be surprised at how many people bring rods in that their mates have "shortened" and are just happy that the bloke has offered to pay,a lot chaulk it up to experience and buy the next rod themselves,I supose you have to look at the true value of the rod leaving out sentiment and way all things up,but like I said,in the end it's your call.

broken thru stupidity he/she pays, genuine accident chalk it up to experence.That your mate offered to pay is great but the final decission is still up to you. Bet he never breaks another rod the same way tho.
    Cheers Ian

I'd probably chalk it up to experience...but my mates would find a way to make it right
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

I had a mate who went with me and unhooked the anchor chain from the rope. Next time I went out I threw the anchor overboard, Didn't I?

When confronted he denied and wouldn't pay.

I just charged it on the next account I sent him, as I subcontract to him.

Your situation is different. Just accept a reasonable amount from him as he did offer.

Angla

My big brother fell overboard with my brand new ultra light spinstick and new reel and with the shock of the freezing cold river water dropped it he nearly carked it with an asthma attack on the bank. We laughed our guts up later on. A few weeks later he turned up with a "replacement" for me, a boatrod as thick as ya thumb and was still apologetic. I reckon I've used that rod twice at the most but it still hangs in my shed because he thought it was the ducks guts and he went out of his way to buy it for me. I had already written the rod&reel off when he turned up with the new one. Anyway I think you should write it off and not push the issue and if your mate buys you a new one then you can respect his friendship even more. A good mate is worth way more than a fishing rod.
    Billy.

I've always gone by this rule..

You break it, YOU brought it!

Accept it mate. Poor fella must feel terrible man, but if he goes out of his way to buy ya a new one, id accept it.

This scenario i have heard before actually. My fathers mate is a bass fishermen down south, and occasionally heads south for alot of Golden Perch comps. Anyway he had ordered a custom made G-Loomis rod from the US of A, and he fished with it for about 5hrs and he was in love with it! Until his wife accidentally slammed the door on it! CRUNCH!

I hope your rod wasnt a G-Loomis Mooksy, and if it was im sure your mate cant wait to find out how much they are worth .

Poor fella.

TinarooTriumph
    TT

its always a good test of friendship to help out a mate when he's luck is down, to go outta your way to do a favour and know if the chips were turned you would expect the same,,,

but bring cold, harned earned, i might need this to buy somehing better,,CASH into the equation,, and you may be opening a new chapter in the book,,,

give the bloke/gal a slap on the back, and counter offer that he/she buys the next few rounds or something,, then don't let them 4get it,,,,,ever

i bet if that if it was one of the family that broke it, and offered to pay,, you wouldn't have posted this thread,,,,,,,
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by choppa
    its always a good test of friendship to help out a mate when he's luck is down, to go outta your way to do a favour and know if the chips were turned you would expect the same,,,

but bring cold, harned earned, i might need this to buy somehing better,,CASH into the equation,, and you may be opening a new chapter in the book,,,

give the bloke/gal a slap on the back, and counter offer that he/she buys the next few rounds or something,, then don't let them 4get it,,,,,ever

i bet if that if it was one of the family that broke it, and offered to pay,, you wouldn't have posted this thread,,,,,,,
    I'm with choppa on this one. The guy obviously didn't do it on purpose, and truth be known a lot of us have the same. Give the guy a break, he did offer to replace the rod and in my eyes that is enough. He seems a good friend and I reckon a good result would be laughing it off and advising him he up for a few shouts. Good luck hope all works out for ya both.